Chances of getting into USAFA?

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by jrh103 » 03 Sep 2010, 04:43

I am 15 and am a sophomore in high school. It is my dream to fly fighters in the Air Force and I hope to get into the Air Force Academy for my officer commission. I wanted to know if any of you know if I have a good chance of getting into the academy. My GPA is 3.84, I play football, I wrestle, and I play baseball. I am also joining speech and debate club, FBLA, and I hope to get an invitation to and join National Honor Society later this year. What do you guys think my chances of getting into the academy are? I figured some of you might have some valuable information.

by VprWzl » 03 Sep 2010, 15:41

jrh103 - Your numbers are in the ballpark, but, as you probably know, there is a lot more required to get in. I'd get over to the USAFA web site and dig into all the applicable info on requirements. As a sophomore, you may feel like you have a lot of time, but things need to start happening right away. You need to keep the grades up, get into leadership roles in sports or clubs or in the community, and stay with the athletic regime. You'll need a nomination from your congressman or senator so it may be worth initiating mail contact, etc. There should also be an Academy representative somewhere in your area. They're great to talk to, but some aren't fully aware of the realities. I'd also see if there are guys at the Academy from your high school or the surrounding area - they're a great source of current (and somewhat jaded) info. If you can get into one of the athletic or science summer camps then that will help some too. There are also a couple good books that you can get from the USAFA bookstore on what it takes and the process. The bottomline is that motivation, drive, and desire (with a basic level of intelligence, leadership, and athleticism) count for a whole lot in your success getting there, getting through, and then getting fighters. You have to go full throttle now and you can't let up for at least a decade, if then.

You can PM me on where you're from and I might know someone in that area.
Check Six!

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 04 Sep 2010, 02:10

Salute!

Try a PM to "thegreekness", who is currently a cadet.

His posts go back about two years.

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by sirsapo » 05 Sep 2010, 00:09

I'm currently a cadet at the Academy right now, and while I obviously dont know the actual inner workings of the admissions process, I'd say you sound like a competitive candidate. Like VprWzl said, being motivated and well rounded is the way to get in. I'd definitely try and go to one of the summer camps at the hill to get a semi-accurate idea of how life really is here.

As far as getting fighters goes, that seems to be an issue of luck and timing nowadays ( I know a few dudes at ENJJPT right now and the drops aren't too hot). When it comes to getting into pilot training though, the Academy is the place to be. My class had about 500 pilots slots available, so almost everyone who wants to (and is medically qualified) will get to go. Beats jockying for a slot out of a ROTC program for sure...

by Delta » 06 Sep 2010, 19:00

I graduated from there last year and it sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Not sure what you're taking as far as classes but load up on math and science. If you have AP or college classes available, try to take them as well. Do some volunteering too. Definitely looks good on your application. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
USAFA Class of 2009 "HUB!"

by jrh103 » 07 Sep 2010, 03:12

Okay. Thanks for the replies everybody, you had some valuable information. As far as AP/College prep/Honors classes I am taking whatever I can get, at my school AP isnt available till Junior year though, so I am stuck with All CP/Honors right now and I plan to take AP Calculus and an AP science and literature class next year.

I have a few questions regarding UPT as well since Sirsapo said that it is very likely that you will get a pilot slot if you want one and are medically qualified. First off, what is the training like and what are the different phases is the training? Second, what is the average UPT class size? Finally, how high do you have to be in your class rank to have a good chance of getting a fighter drop?

by shaft34 » 07 Sep 2010, 17:51

jrh103 wrote:I have a few questions regarding UPT as well since Sirsapo said that it is very likely that you will get a pilot slot if you want one and are medically qualified. First off, what is the training like and what are the different phases is the training? Second, what is the average UPT class size? Finally, how high do you have to be in your class rank to have a good chance of getting a fighter drop?

Don't let the chicken come before the egg!

There are a lot more important things to focus on before starting to think too seriously about UPT. Besides, in the 6-7 years before you'd find yourself doing it, things are likely to change a lot. Just the way things go in the AF! It is true that you have a better chance at a pilot slot from the Academy, but it is definitely not guaranteed. Go because you want the challenge and are willing to serve...however that may be. WORK to earn the opportunity to go to UPT. WORK to earn the chance, just a chance, to fly fighters. Not trying to rag on you or anything.

There is a lot of good, and current, info about UPT and all that entails over at www.baseops.net somewhere. That should give you a good idea what it is all about!

by jrh103 » 08 Sep 2010, 03:23

shaft34 wrote:
Don't let the chicken come before the egg!

There are a lot more important things to focus on before starting to think too seriously about UPT. Besides, in the 6-7 years before you'd find yourself doing it, things are likely to change a lot. Just the way things go in the AF! It is true that you have a better chance at a pilot slot from the Academy, but it is definitely not guaranteed. Go because you want the challenge and are willing to serve...however that may be. WORK to earn the opportunity to go to UPT. WORK to earn the chance, just a chance, to fly fighters. Not trying to rag on you or anything.

There is a lot of good, and current, info about UPT and all that entails over at www.baseops.net somewhere. That should give you a good idea what it is all about!

Of course, you never want to get too ahead of yourself. I was just curious about how UPT was set up. I'm definitely focusing on being able to get into academy, I just wanted to know.

by shaft34 » 08 Sep 2010, 03:42

They are generally looking for above average and well balanced individuals...looks like you fit that criteria. Showing that you have faced some difficult situations, persevered and overcome can go a long ways on the application. They want to know you'll hang in there and keep going when it gets tough, not quit like a lot a people do when faced with adversity. I've heard people say UPT is supposed to be one of the hardest years of your life, but I thought it was fun (challenging for sure, not easy). My time at the Zoo seemed way more stressful and difficult, so it was good prep for life after the Academy.

Good luck in your pursuit!

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 08 Sep 2010, 05:21

Salute!

Fer chrissakes, listen to Shaft and Delta!!!!

"On your stairway to the stars, you better keep your eyes on the stairs"

1) write your Senator and Congressman tonight! get the free physical to see if you're even in the running.

2) write your Senator and Congressman every few weeks to let them know how you're doing. By the time you're accepted, your letters will stack up taller than you!

3) Talk with Delta, Shaft, Gums, thegreekness, and others here.

and I could go on and on, as could Delta, Shaft and ..........

Gums sends..

P.S. Find the local Academy Liason Officer and follow his/her instructions and advice.
Gums
Viper pilot '79

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 08 Sep 2010, 05:22

Salute!

Fer chrissakes, listen to Shaft and Delta!!!!

"On your stairway to the stars, you better keep your eyes on the stairs"

1) write your Senator and Congressman tonight! get the free physical to see if you're even in the running.

2) write your Senator and Congressman every few weeks to let them know how you're doing. By the time you're accepted, your letters will stack up taller than you!

3) Talk with Delta, Shaft, Gums, thegreekness, and others here.

and I could go on and on, as could Delta, Shaft and ..........

Gums sends..

P.S. Find the local Academy Liason Officer and follow his/her instructions and advice.
Gums
Viper pilot '79

by jraczek22 » 28 Apr 2011, 18:33

what are the chances i get in... i am also a sophmore. i am 5.11 165 lbs. i condition everyday. i have a 3.9 in school. i am co-captain on the wrestleing team..i have 5 varsity letters already as a soph and i will get my 6th in baseball... my act projected score is 30. i am enrolled in a leadership acadamy. what are my chances>?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by irishlad » 02 May 2011, 13:26

Try and if you do have a blast and if you don't you don't,don't be afraid the try again...
Trying is just as good succeding,jrh103
:pint:

by kreiling514 » 15 Nov 2011, 00:09

Hi I'm 16 and a junior in high school and am wondering my chances of getting into USAFA. My GPA is low: only about a 3.0, however I have a lot of ECA such as I am a Eagle Scout, I do multiple volunteer projects, I'm starting CAP,and hopefully will letter in athletics this year. Some of my family has attended AFA. Any help is appreciated. :D