Preparing for the AFOQT

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by thedroidyouarelookingfor » 30 Oct 2009, 19:49

I am currently a student at MIT and am wanting to enroll in my school's detachment in hopes of being able to pilot. I was told that this test is very similar to the SAT and SAT II and I could properly gauge how well I'd do on the AFOQT based on my scores from the college placement tests. I find that hard to believe and would think the only comparison between them is that they are standardized tests. Is there any information any of you who have taken this test can divulge to me? Thank you.

by thedroidyouarelookingfor » 06 Nov 2009, 04:14

Is there anyone who can answer my questions?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ang4me » 06 Nov 2009, 04:46

I'm yet to take the AFOQT, but I would think that if you do well on other standardized tests, then you are perfectly capable of doing well on the AFOQT too. But that doesn't mean don't study for it, because if you're not already a pilot, it's likely not material with which you're at all familiar. Buy a book and study up, that's my only advice.

Also worth reading:
http://www.baseops.net/afoqt/

by MechFromHell » 06 Nov 2009, 07:13

The verbal and math are very similar to those other tests. In fact, the GRE and GMAT study guides are some of the best to study when prepping for the AFOQT's math sections. You will need to get specific study guides for reviewing the pilot and nav sections though. :evil:
Crew Chief
Mountain Home AFB 2000-2005~91-0370
Sheppard AFB 2005-2009~F-16 Instr
Kadena AB 2009-2015
Holloman AFB 2015-Now

by ruderamronbo » 06 Nov 2009, 21:14

I've taken all the standardized tests and the AFOQT was the hardest based on the number and difficulty of the questions and the time allowed to complete them. I seem to remember it was about 40 seconds per question. The pilot and nav sections are different because they test your ability to sense direction, depth, and attitude visually. I did great on those sections but my horrible eye sight meant doing well was meaningless... If you have the math skills to get into and survive at MIT the math should not be a problem. I made it through numerical analysis--barely--before my brain imploded and did well on the math and english sections.

by reed05 » 25 Jan 2018, 06:30

Wow! That’s something I am also reading for the first time. If that is the thing then you must practice a lot of LSAT Sample Questions just to get through with it and get into an amazing law school. I am very grateful to my father who guided me to this side of professionalism.