F-16C versus LAVI

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
  • Author

tmofarrvl

Unread post19 Oct 2006, 23:45

I just had to add my two cents to this one. I have always been impressed by the Lavi - an airplane with an empty weight like an F-16A, and the range and payload of the latest Block 52+ F-16I.

One more detail to add regarding its cancellation. The Lavi program was initiated on the basis of a 300 airplane buy. On that size purchase order, the program made good economical sense: much cheaper than modifying the Block 30 or Block 40 F-16 to meet Israel's goals.

In the mid-1980s, however, the Israeli defense budget was slashed severely. It was during a period of "hyperinflation". The Israeli economy just couldn't handle all of the ongoing modernization efforts - and US military aid to Israel was also frozen at a constant level during this same time period. The Israeli air force just couldn't afford 300 new warplanes during the 1990s time frame - more like 150 at best. On the basis of 150 aircraft or less, the Lavi was no longer economically competitive.

Ah, if only the US had the foresight to purchase a batch for our own use. The story might have been very different.

MiG

Unread post02 Aug 2008, 02:40

The F-16 is better armed with Python V and new engines

collimatrix

Unread post25 Sep 2016, 17:24

ARISE, DEAD THREAD! ARISE AND BE ANIMATED ONCE MORE BY MY UNHOLY THREAD NECROMANCY!

*ahem*

A rather good video discussing the design of the Lavi came out recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59wkZBadvew

Apparently the Lavi was designed for long-range strike missions as much as anything, and had a surprisingly high fuel fraction. Air to air was supposed to be a secondary role.

The author made a doghouse plot comparing the two at 15 K feet. The F-16 has better sustained turn and acceleration, the Lavi has lower wing loading.

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Sep 2016, 03:42

Viper 4500+ vs Lavi 3

Clear win for the Viper.

'nuf said :lmao: TEG
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins
Previous

Return to F-16 versus XYZ