F-35 Demo instantaneous turn vs F-16, F22

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?

by rowbeartoe » 19 Apr 2019, 07:33

Hi everyone. With the new F-35 Demo team this year (2019), I couldn't help but be impressed with the instantaneous turn loop at altitude, very similar to the vector thrust F-22 and those Su/Mig vector thrust jets during demos. I was curious, can the F-16 pull off a maneuver like that? Even the follow up rudder turn from the F-35 looks similar to the F-22 demo. The F-16 is one of the best low altitude sustained turning Jets in the world (usually doing a 360 turn in 19 seconds) but I've never really seen a demo show any kind of instantaneous turn from the F-16, well at least any that stands out.

Again, the F-35 maneuver I'm talking about is similar to the F-22 demo. The Jets do a high speed pass, pull straight up, and then do a fast instantaneous loop followed by a rudder left and right "turn" with the nose pointing straight. I'm sure I'm not using the correct terms, so I'm hoping this makes sense.

Thank you everyone.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 19 Apr 2019, 20:42

Almost impossible from watching airshows and videos regarding how much AoA or nose rate etc is actually going on. The F-35 has a higher AoA limit so it should be able to generate a higher instantaneous turn at certain speeds - that would be one difference.

by magnum4469 » 19 Apr 2019, 22:58

With the advent of helmet-mounted targeting sights combined with High Off-Boresight weapons, the need to maneuver into a weapons engagement zone is not as important at it was before these capabilities existed. Don't get me wrong, I think maneuverability is still very important, but even more important is that the first one to get a valid weapon off the rail will be the victor. :2c: