Viper vs. Flanker over Groom Lake

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
  • Author

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jan 2017, 03:05

"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

strykerxo

Unread post17 Jan 2017, 21:29

Same source different article: I have heard for years about our Su / Mig inventory but have not seen evidence of it.
I wonder what other engagements it has had or how modified they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ea-51.html
You can't shot what you can't see - Unknown

neurotech

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post19 Jan 2017, 00:26

strykerxo wrote:Same source different article: I have heard for years about our Su / Mig inventory but have not seen evidence of it.
I wonder what other engagements it has had or how modified they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ea-51.html

The two Su-27 Flankers that were refurbished by Pride Aircraft are two-seaters, and these photos show single-seaters. The usual presumption was that the Flankers on Nov 8th were the Pride jets operated by a DoD contractor, but that is impossible as its a single-seater.

strykerxo

Unread post19 Jan 2017, 18:08

How modified would these AC be if at all? Would they have western electronics or engines? Or fly them as true to Russian std. as possible so that in an adversarial role be fully understood?
You can't shot what you can't see - Unknown

neurotech

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post19 Jan 2017, 22:36

strykerxo wrote:How modified would these AC be if at all? Would they have western electronics or engines? Or fly them as true to Russian std. as possible so that in an adversarial role be fully understood?

Newer Flankers like the Su-30MKI have MIL-STD-1553B bus from the factory, and some Israeli avionics, but not the radar. Its likely that the Flankers operated around Nellis have upgraded radios, as the Russians don't fit secure NATO-compatible radios to their jets.

The two Pride jets probably don't have the radar still fitted. I've heard the newer Russian radars use a similar electrical bus to the 80s-era US version (eg. early APG-63 or APG-65). Additionally, the Israeli radars have been offered to fit a Su-27 Flanker. Some MiG-21s and MiG-29s in NATO service have been completely upgraded with Israeli parts, just like the A-4K or F-5EM upgrades. The radar on the early F/A-18s, the display is analog video (functionally similar to a Commodore 64 video output) along with an MIL-STD-1553B for controlling the radar functions.

The photos Pride released show mainly steam gauges, and the factory radar display would likely have been an analog CRT. I'd say everything but the radios, engine instruments, and basic flight instruments removed. Pride would have upgraded the radios, and added civilian FMS displays for navigation.

It is likely that Nellis MiGs and Flankers use comparable western avionics, as Russian parts supply is limited.

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post22 Jan 2017, 18:53

So... I take this to mean the same Russian engines ? If so, that'd make the most sense as an accurate representation of the threat (if not very maintenance friendly)!

They don't appear to be MKI's though, and unless they're SU-30's no thrust vectoring ?

Return to F-16 versus XYZ