F-16 versus J-10

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Corous » 10 Sep 2006, 05:07

Corsair1963 wrote:
In Pakistan case a mix of both is not a bad idea...........yet, the J-10 as it is currently available is not even close in capability to Blk 50/60 F-16's. :roll:

Agreed, especially in turns of A-G capability.

by Grounded1971 » 11 Sep 2006, 20:31

I'm not too well informed on the J-10, nor do I wish to get an India/Pakistan fight going, but from the official Indian websites they seem pretty confident about their successes in 1965, 1971 and Kargil in 1999:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/index.html

There is a claim floating around that a Fulcrum successfully achieved lock-on to a Pakistani F-16 in May 1999 but there is a disproportionate amount of attention on any incident betweent the 2 airforces however minor.

The official Indian Airfoce site contains some info re training regime, flight hours logged and so forth:

http://indianairforce.nic.in/

Back to the main issue, my money would be on the Viper but the circumstances and variables are so great the original question would really need to be rephrased.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 11 Sep 2006, 22:53

Clearly, Indian has a much more capable Air Force. Yet, its really more about deterrents for Pakistan than to win any likley conflict................... :?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by blain2 » 13 Sep 2006, 19:13

Grounded1971 wrote:I'm not too well informed on the J-10, nor do I wish to get an India/Pakistan fight going, but from the official Indian websites they seem pretty confident about their successes in 1965, 1971 and Kargil in 1999:

There is a claim floating around that a Fulcrum successfully achieved lock-on to a Pakistani F-16 in May 1999 but there is a disproportionate amount of attention on any incident betweent the 2 airforces however minor.

The official Indian Airfoce site contains some info re training regime, flight hours logged and so forth:

Back to the main issue, my money would be on the Viper but the

circumstances and variables are so great the original question would really need to be rephrased.

The issue about the lock-on has been making circles around the web without any foundation or basis. ACIG is the only place on the entire web which has this lock on against the PAF when in fact, around the world, nobody considers a lock-on (and that too one that has been made through the grape-vine) to be of any major significance. Also keep in mind that unlike in the Aegean sea where TuAF and HAF are constantly involved in mock combat, PAF and IAF did not engage in this in Kargil. Both sides kept to their own in order to keep the situation from escalating.

Also if you add lock-ons as a judging criteria, then I think quite a few airforces (including the PAF) would have some more lines added to their credits. I am sure USAF has a few lock-ons from the days of NFZ over Iraq etc. etc...hopefully you get the drift.

IAF is a big AF and a professional arm, but again their claims in 65 and 71 are hotly contested by the other side and the other way around. In Kargil, nothing extraordinary was done by the IAF (which lost a few aircraft to SAMs and ) aside from 5-7 LGB sorties against ground troops. Most of the combat was burdened by the land forces.

Having said that, I would not want the two to mix up now as IAF does have considerable edge in terms of new platforms at its disposal making the task of air defence even harder for Pakistani aircrews.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by RoAF » 03 Oct 2006, 17:18

"It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom" (William Wallace 1272-1305)

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Corous » 11 Dec 2006, 23:00

LOL, someone scanned the entire article from Air Forces Monthly?

Anyways, found a picture of some kind of IOC ceremony of the first J-10 squadron on Sinodefence.com, thought I'd share it with ya all.

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 12 Dec 2006, 14:04

Corous wrote:

LOL, someone scanned the entire article from Air Forces Monthly?

Anyways, found a picture of some kind of IOC ceremony of the first J-10 squadron on Sinodefence.com, thought I'd share it with ya all.

That is a good and interesting photo.
I'm watching...

by Loader2088 » 14 Nov 2007, 01:54

If anyone is interested, International Air Power Review has a long article on the J-10 in the current Volume 22. Full of photos and lots of discussion on the development of the fighter. They claim to debunk the Lavi-clone theory.

by eerie » 28 Nov 2007, 00:19

Could the J-10 be the answer to the F-16. I forsee an export to smaller countries, such as AFrican continent and some small European market. I ll not be surprise if i see it in South East Asia in the future.
74 victories with no losses the greatest fighter ever..the F-16 Fighting Falcon

by MiG » 02 Aug 2008, 02:37

The F-16 rules

by yasirbhojani » 16 Aug 2008, 18:15

I THOUGHT THAT J-10, RAFALE, GRIPEN AND EUROFIGHTER WERE ALL COMPARABLE TO EACH OTHER AND SO, WERE BETTER THAN ANY VERSION OF F-16'S....
Regards
Yasir Bhojani

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 18 Aug 2008, 22:47

yasirbhojani wrote:I THOUGHT THAT J-10, ........ AND SO, WERE BETTER THAN ANY VERSION OF F-16'S....

The PAF should eventually have the definitive answer on that. Please, let us know what they determine.

regards, OL

by MiG » 19 Aug 2008, 00:59

outlaw162 wrote:
yasirbhojani wrote:I THOUGHT THAT J-10, ........ AND SO, WERE BETTER THAN ANY VERSION OF F-16'S....

The PAF should eventually have the definitive answer on that. Please, let us know what they determine.

regards, OL

Many equate canards to a total superiority in an airframe, others forget that each aircraft has a totally different configuration despite even being close couple delta-canard aircraft.

Aircraft like the Gripen might have even less impressive sustained turn rates than even the MiG-29 or F-16, despite in instantaneous turn rate are usually better.

The F-16 armed with python V or IRIS-T totally outclasses the J-10 with PL-9 or PL-8.

the PL-10 and teh AIM-120 comparasion should be different but i do not think the J-10 outclasses the F-16 specially since newer F-16 versions have more thrust to weight ratio and very advanced AAMs

by foxbat25mig » 12 Aug 2009, 13:42

I think J-10 is comparable to F-16C/D。However, maybe F-16C/D is a little better

by kingcobra » 25 Aug 2009, 08:16

Grounded1971 wrote:I'm not too well informed on the J-10, nor do I wish to get an India/Pakistan fight going, but from the official Indian websites they seem pretty confident about their successes in 1965, 1971 and Kargil in 1999:

Back to the main issue, my money would be on the Viper but the circumstances and variables are so great the original question would really need to be rephrased.

Pakistani airforce won every battle with India.

13th December2008, Pakistani F-16s successfully locks-on Indian su-30mki and mirage 2000. :thumb:

When we arrived in Pakistan in 1971, the political situation between the Pakistanis and Indians was really tense over Bangladesh.

The Pakistanis whipped their asses in the sky, but it was the other way around in the ground war. The air war lasted two weeks and the Pakistanis scored a three-to-one kill ratio, knocking out 102 Russian-made Indian jets and losing thirty-four airplanes of their own. I'm certain about the figures because I went out several times a day in a chopper and counted the wrecks below. I counted wrecks on Pakistani soil, documented them by serial number, identified the components such as engines, rocket pods, and new equipment on newer planes like the Soviet SU-7 fighter-bomber and the MiG-21 J, their latest supersonic fighter. The Pakistani army would cart off these items for me, and when the war ended, it took two big American Air Force cargo lifters to carry all those parts back to the States for analysis by our intelligence division.
(General (Retd.) Chuck Yeager (USAF) , Book: Yeager, the Autobiography).
:cheers: :salute:

PreviousNext