F-16 versus F-15

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
  • Author

Phoenix

Unread post27 Feb 2004, 22:09

I think what KarimAbdoun is trying to say is that their missions specification is similar.
The MiG-31 was intended to shoot down low-flying strike a/c and cruise missiles, while the Tornado was meant to intercept Soviet bombers and strike aircraft over the North Sea.

lefty

Unread post28 Feb 2004, 01:45

Only a few F-15c's will have the aesa upgrade radar. Most F-15 C's are upgrading to the apg63v1 which is still quite an impressive radar, it just isn't Aesa. Aesa improves reliability and allows the pilot to use the radar for multiple functions at once. If a radar is Aesa, doesn't automatically give it higher ranges. Currently no US F-16's have the Aesa radar, and I don't think any are planned to. It is being offered on the F-16 blk60. I believe UAE was the 1st country to order the blk60 with its Aesa.

The F-15's radar will always have longer range b/c of its greater size. In other words its radar has many more rcvr/xmtr elements than an F-16's. The F-16's much lower RCS would somewhat counter act this. But in the air supiority role, sorry folks it's all F15. Its speed, altitude, range, massive missile loadout, and powerful radar are still amongst the best in the world.

SwedgeII

Unread post03 Mar 2004, 13:34

Oh yeah another F-15 advantage, Conformal weapons carriage. = less drag and less mass on the wings. try taking a corner with two 50 lb buckets strapped to your arms and you will see what I mean..

Ghostrider3k

Unread post12 Jun 2004, 04:00

Pretty sure we can smoke the Green Mountain boys in a heartbeat...That's why we are the Magnificent Bastards from Mass lol

sparrow187

Unread post01 Jul 2004, 06:25

SwedgeII wrote:Oh yeah another F-15 advantage, Conformal weapons carriage. = less drag and less mass on the wings. try taking a corner with two 50 lb buckets strapped to your arms and you will see what I mean..

First off they are CFT's Conformal fuel Tanks, the happen to have Bru's in them or Lau-106 a/a 's. If you are so into the jet learn about it. The f-16 also has cft's in the developement stage I believe blk 50's right now. Radar packages: F-16 has a shorter range than the 15 ; it is better at lower altitudesand more manuverable as well at those altitudes. The 15 will outrun the 16. Both planes were designed for two different roles and have adapted over the years. Newer planes, enemy radar capabilities, foreign intel, environment, weather, range, ordinance requirements, all these play a factor in what plane will be use for the mission. Why do you think there are so many different blocks and models of these air craft. Quit regurgitating the words of some cocky jet jocky and look at the facts and stats. By the way the lawn dart is not a joy to do maintenance on, it is the biggest pain in the butt to deal with, the eagle is no picknic either. Yes I do know what I am talking about. I deal with these jets on a daily basis, up close and personal. By the way CFT's tend to affect the weight of the plane they are on and thus ladies and gents as we all know affect performance. If you think I am wrong, do some research, provide me with the info that says I am wrong. Each plane does it's job well. But don't expect daddy to do mommys job better.

habu2

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post01 Jul 2004, 15:52

reminder to self - get up on other side of bed tomorrow...
Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation

sparrow187

Unread post06 Jul 2004, 09:22

habu2 wrote:reminder to self - get up on other side of bed tomorrow...

Wow, I really need to cut back on the caffeine that late into a 12 hr shift. Either that or kick the pointy heads out of the shop and have them compare planes somewhere else. I am sorry if I came across rather harsh. Take the pinciples and the info of my last message, but please forgive the curtness and obvious irrateability.

habu2

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post06 Jul 2004, 17:56

forgiven. :mrgreen: glad you're feeling better!
Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation

sparrow187

Unread post07 Jul 2004, 08:18

Amazing what can happen to your state of mind after a 4 day weekend! So nice to get away!!!!!! No planes, no sonic booms to wake you up or scare the crap out of you at the most inopportune time. Peace and quiet!!!!

Bret

Unread post13 Jul 2004, 05:38

True, the F-15s Radar will take out some before they even know what hit them. Take the Oregon ANG dual Mig kill from one F-15 for example. But the way I see it, you need an F-15Eto fullfill the multi-role capabilities of a Viper and you need a WSO to sit in back. The F-16 does it all for only $30 million. Look at it this way: you can buy a Kalishnikov (AK-47) for $100 and kill the hell out of an enemy, or you an buy some super expensive rifle that jams up with a bit of dirt or moisture for $1,000. I'll take the $1,000, buy 10 AKs, then me and 9 of my buddies will go up against the one guy with the fancy gun. It's a no-brainer. That is why the F-16 is the premier fighter in the world and has been for over 20 years. Bigger and more expensive does not always equal better.

Rock88088

Unread post21 Dec 2004, 02:27

I'm surprised this question really needs asked! With that little radar antenna the F-16 can't reach out very far. The F-15 has range, weapons load, powerful radar, buku jamming, and a great RWR system. It has 2 engines, (compare loss rate of the F-16 to the F-15) the vacuume cleaner on the F-16 sets inches off the ground.

F-15 is what the F-16 pilot wants to fly.

WILZ

Unread post05 Jan 2005, 21:30

Guys... I am a John Boyd fan so you probably know what I am gonna say about the Eagle... The BVR stuff is all great but the can see farther but has a smaller FOV vertically. If you get Vipers in the right stack, you can sneak past them everytime... If you dont believe me on this... just ask some guys down iin sunny Florida... We've Clubbed a many of seals down there...

Sun Tzu my friend...
"Cause confusion and strike quick... pull the knife out from behind and he's then yours... to hell with the Missiles... Hose the SOB!"
Quote... John Boyd...

The Viper is what I love... Not the the Eagle... And given the choice... Id rather not fly in circles in the Air all day when Vipers are Kickin a$$ in the Mud and In the Air. THE VIPER IS TRULY A WORK HORSE!!!

WILZ

Unread post05 Jan 2005, 23:23

How can it be better like you said if all it can do is fly CAP all day and nothing else... You saw how valuable that was in OIF... Who did the work? I think we know the answer to that...The Viper is also certainly capable of Air Superiority... I bet you cant tell the IAF dudes that the Viper isnt better... They kick peoples a$$ day in and out in it... and it is proven... (Given they do have the Python 2)... the Viper is still their fighter of choice... Not to mention ours... We continue to find new ways to exploit the jet... For Gods sake its a Wild Weasle now... Who would have guessed? The only think they could do with the Eagle is use it as 2 seater strike AC. Come on... Is it that Good??? Thats all they can get out of that thing??? Yes... It is...

We fly against Eagle drivers quite often and believe you me... they dont want us to pull the knife out...

WILZ

Unread post05 Jan 2005, 23:36

Anonymous wrote:As a Viper Driver, we spank the sh*t out of those twin tailed fags all the time in the BFM realm since I can get a tally on them way the hell out there because they're so damn big. The only problem is getting to the merge and as it's been said on this already. The light greys are air-air pros since that's all they do although we still give them a run for their money.

Just another voice... we know who is better... You guys need to read some John Boyd info... The Viper was built as lightweight nimble a$$ kicking machine... especially in BFM. Then the AF Fucked it all up jacking with it because they loved the fat and once heavy Eagle. The Eagle is an over rated POS that cost a lot of moula... Before John Boyd got a hold of it, it weighed so much... its a wonder it could fly... he hated the thing and no wonder. Every prediction that he has made about the future of Air Power has come to past and the Eagle was not his AC of choice along with other high ups... And wouldn't be if he were still giving 4 Stars sh*t in the Pentagon

hansundfranz

Unread post06 Jan 2005, 03:11

And he wanted the F-16 totally without radar to safe some more weight.

it sure would kick a$$ in a BVR fight without a radar.

OK this is a F-16 fansite but sometimes it gets a litty silly.
PreviousNext

Return to F-16 versus XYZ