F-16 Viper versus F-18 Hornet

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
  • Author

Des

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Oct 2013, 04:03

zero-one wrote:
deadseal wrote:I love how the video says "dogfight" when its clear that whoever put that together doesn't know sh*t about dogfighting. Those moves are suicide. any fighter pilot on your six would gun your ****** brains out when you try that.The only time I think that an all out stop would be adventegous is in a 1 circle fight, but you wouldn't have the energy for that any way if you were forced 1 circle. If you were the 2nd guy to turn and force the 1 circle, you gave up turing room and the other guy can just go vertical when that happens.I guess what I am trying to say is that the world is not just airshow pet tricks, but is energy and energy recognition. oh and the 9x of course

Ofcourse in these Airshows, they don't only show the maneuvers significant in combat, but also a demonstration of the plane's aerodynamic limits.

Most of those maneuvers will definitely get you killed if used the wrong way, but it demonstrates that these aircraft can sustain controlled flight at those attitudes,

In a dogfight, that can be crucial

Means nothing if your opponent has HMS

zero-one

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Oct 2013, 17:59

I would'nt go to such absolute terms yet. HMS and HOBS are deadly but must also be aided with maneuvering to further increase the Pk of missiles. Ofcourse you can do without much maneuvering, but why choose not to maneuver if maneuvering will increase your advantage?

If not, then they ought to arm B-2 Bombers with hundreds of Aim 9Xs and AMRAAMs and equip them with HMS,
-More missiles
-More Range
-Larger space for AESA

:D

deadseal

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post31 Oct 2013, 03:17

zero-one wrote:I would'nt go to such absolute terms yet. HMS and HOBS are deadly but must also be aided with maneuvering to further increase the Pk of missiles. Ofcourse you can do without much maneuvering, but why choose not to maneuver if maneuvering will increase your advantage?

If not, then they ought to arm B-2 Bombers with hundreds of Aim 9Xs and AMRAAMs and equip them with HMS,
-More missiles
-More Range
-Larger space for AESA

:D

I am not opposed to a large b-2 style airplane with 69 Aim-120's on some kind of internal rotary, and a HUUUUGGGGEEEE AESA. It just better be able to turn around in a hurry when something pk misses and it's staring at an F-11b in the face!
Previous

Return to F-16 versus XYZ