IAF Sukhoi-30MK1 outguns RSAF F-16C

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
  • Author

Pumpkin

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post29 Oct 2004, 01:05

habu2 wrote:Everyone needs to remember this is an exercise, not a contest. Scenarios are preset and scripted, and there are no "winners". Anyone who doubts this does not understand the purpose of the exercise.

well said! habu2, can't agree more. I wonder if all the top brass shares your thought.

cheers,
Desmond

elp

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post29 Oct 2004, 17:15

Thank god it wasnt USAF F-16s. Then you would have Jumper running off to congress for a dog and pony show on how much we needed JSF, then get scolded by the military industrial weenies and have to run over to some foreign F-16 customer and do a sales call to expain that it really isnt all that bad and here are the "real" results. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Man I slay myself sometimes... :lol: too funny.
- ELP -

bpow

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post30 Oct 2004, 18:58

habu2 wrote:After reading the linked article, I see nothing to indicate they are claiming superiority over the F-16s, everything reads "matching up well" not "mopping the floor with them". Again, like the F-15 exercise, I doubt we are getting the real story at this time.

You probably won't know the true story of cope india for awhile. Beleive it or not the competition is catching up to us. That is why reducing our f-16/f-15 fleets for the newer "better" jsf/f-22 would be one of the worst things we could do to our military!

RSAF-G2

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post06 Nov 2004, 19:23

The RSAF statement was very gentlemanly and explained that India has been warm in receiving the RSAF pilots, so they will hold back from any comments.

So simply put...we can quite clearly see wads doing on. India has every reason to spice up the story, and anyway, since when do the real victors declare themselves as "superior", and from the RSAF replies...u make it out urself wads truth.

By the way, RSAF trains with USAF regularly in exercise and our scores are on par with the best USAF pilots...RSAF pilots typically clock more hours than USAF pilots, with very frequent and tight training schedules, and frequent overseas exercises.

As for Intel...Singapore may not have the kinda money to have a huge CIA etc, but we do have G2 MINDEF and G2 Airforce...etc....with 1000+ staff and intelligence agents and special forces doing collection work everywhere as well....we've got UAV, AWACS, etc. too.....of course never as big a scale as USAF, cause we don't have any requirement for long-range, long-term warfare...but within our immediate area of influence, within the southern half of Asia, RSAF is capbable of a full-scale of operations with what we have.

And yes, we're outta airspace to train, Singapore is basically a country about 4 times the size of New York City...its tiny, and impossible to fly 220 combat aircraft around...that explains why about a third are based overseas for training and overseas exercises are frequent.

RSAF-G2

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post06 Nov 2004, 19:26

anyway, its quite funny when the indian newspaper published RSAF as "royal singapore airforce'...makes us sound like we've a king or something..haha...

its Republic of Singapore AirForce..

Acedrew

Unread post12 Dec 2004, 23:59

I guess you are referring to the clip of the aircraft just lifting off.

I personally think its the white ACMI Pod. What appear to be AIM-9 style wings are evident at the rear of the 'missile', but no sign of any forward fins.

You initially get the impression of a pale "radome", but I think this is simply a result of the angle. i.e you are looking at a white 'missile' body, obscured by the rail launcher, apart from at the very front.

Interesting though.

I've only ever seen one photo of an AMRAAM on an RSAF F-16 - anyone got any others?

hawkeye

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Feb 2005, 01:50

I'm no pilot, Hell ! I'm not even in the air force. I love my AF - RSAF!!!

Bear with me.

If I were to go head to head with an opponent for the first time, chances are I'll not show him everything I have. The first round would be to probe him ... something like ... if I zigged would he zag or do something unexpected.

Planes are predictable , characteristics etc ... pilots are not.

Am I correct to say that?

All said and done, whatever the outcome, it will be a learning process for both.
Tally-ho!

ACSheva

Unread post10 Feb 2005, 02:07

Yes this was an exercise,---now what if this was a real jet-jet battle? Would outcome be different.

Pumpkin

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Feb 2005, 11:31

hawkeye wrote:All said and done, whatever the outcome, it will be a learning process for both.

Well said hawkeye. It is one strength to constantly explore its weakness.

Quite flankly, I would have preferred the RSAF::Viper to be outgunned (assumed best effort has been put in). I think it will do more good for them. And, a thought to ponder for the NGF. The Flanker, particularly the MKI is indeed a force to be reckoned with.

cheers,
Desmond
Previous

Return to F-16 versus XYZ