F-15 Radar

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?

by bossovich » 21 Nov 2011, 22:37

Ive been doing lots of reading from posts many people have put and im getting the impression that the F-15s radar is especially good. What makes it so great and how does it compare the the F-16s?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by noah30 » 21 Nov 2011, 23:16

bossovich wrote:Ive been doing lots of reading from posts many people have put and im getting the impression that the F-15s radar is especially good. What makes it so great and how does it compare the the F-16s?

The F-15's APG-63 was one of the best radars in the world when in came out, while the F-16's APG-66, on the other hand, is a compact unit, and not nearly as capable overall. Many USAF F-15s have recently been upgraded to the APG-63v3, an AESA version of the already good -63. This radar is very similar to the AESA APG-77 and -79 found on the Raptor and Super Hornet, respectively, and is easily in the top 5 current fighter radars. The F-16 has been upgraded to the APG-68, but it is not an AESA, and is still small. It can do everything it needs to against non stealth/non ECM-ed aircraft and ground targets, while the -63v3, -79, and -77 (Dan Wheldon's number to anyone who knows...) has the power and clarity to track the same aircraft better and farther out the the F-16, and even detect "stealth" aircraft at shorter ranges. Radar capability is largely a factor of power, as well as technology (Doppler vs. AESA) where bigger is better, and bigger and more efficient/modern means even more power for the same space, hence longer range and more capability.

If anything, the F-22 and F/A-18E/F both have better radars than even the most souped up Eagles. The F-16E has a nice AESA set though., but its is still smaller than the Eagle, Raptor, or Super Bug's.

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 05 Dec 2011, 17:40

noah30 wrote:
bossovich wrote:Ive been doing lots of reading from posts many people have put and im getting the impression that the F-15s radar is especially good. What makes it so great and how does it compare the the F-16s?

If anything, the F-22 and F/A-18E/F both have better radars than even the most souped up Eagles.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this statement. The APG-63(v)3, and APG-82 radars share the back end with the APG-79, but have larger apertures, and more powerful transmitters.

by avon1944 » 16 Aug 2012, 08:33

When the F-15A and the F-16A became operational, there was a vast difference between the capabilities of their radars and other avionics. The F-15 was the do-all fighter and its price reflected that. The Fighter Mafia (FM) pushed for a daylight only fighter. A basic fighter with no 'gold plating' on it. The FM was not happy with the F-16 that first became operational. In their opinion there was to much gadgets -a good radar etc. All the updates in avionics, improved engines, day and night capability etc., allows today's F-16s to be one of the better fighters in the world still. The newest F-15C's newest radar -APG-63(V)3 AESA or APG-82 are among the most capable radars flying.

Banned

by jayraptor » 17 Aug 2012, 14:32

F-15's radar is considered large high-end radar with track range over 143Nm and search range 160Nm. Same goes to F-14, Mig31 and Su-27/30/33/35 are all fitted with large radar.

F-16's radar is medium size mid-end radar with track range depends on which type of radar between 45Nm to 80Nm and search range less than 100Nm. I only followed up to AN/APG-68. Newer radar, not sure. F/A-18, EF2000, Rafale, Mirage2000, Mig-29 are all fitted with mid-end radar. Some could not be fitted with large radar due to smaller radome.

Advantage of having large radar is longer range detection and allow you to track bogeys at long range above 100Nm but whether you have the missiles to launch at that range is another issue. Earlier, only F-14s had the edge to launch AIM-54C at maximum 110NNm if the target would not run. Meteor and AIM-120D have yet to enter service. Russian counterpart, the R33 AA-9 Amos has max effective range of just 90Nm, Novator AAM-L R37, not sure whether it even works. Maybe they already have the RVVAE-PD equivalent to AIM-120D. For aircraft with track range of just 45Nm, any idea whether AWACS could assist the radar to track target at 110Nm if it is compatible to carry the Meteor?

by icemaverick » 31 Oct 2012, 02:08

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that data-linking now means that aircraft can fire missiles further than they can see with their own sensors. For example, one aircraft could detect a target and share the data with another aircraft, which can launch a missile at that target. I believe an AWACS can send targeting data to a fighter as well. The A2A missile would be data-linked with the fighter aircraft which is in turn data-linked with the AWACS. The missile locks on with its own seeker in the terminal phases.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 30 Oct 2017, 15:12

An Eagle driver at a recent airshow said the F-15's radar was even more capable than the F-22's, which was sitting on the ramp right next to it. I then queried the F-22 pilot and asked how his radar ranked vs. the F-15. "No contest" he said. I asked for clarification. He said no way was the F-15's radar better.

Better at what he didn't say. These guys are funny. Information? Dis information? Who knows. I think with respect to range and detecting aircraft further out, the new AESA sets F-15's are getting probably win that contest (but not by much). I also think that same AESA is much more likely to give away the F-15's position, vs. the Low Probability of Intercept radar the F-22 carries.

But I'm sure you'd agree - I'd rather be flying a Raptor :)

by ruderamronbo » 30 Oct 2017, 20:57

mixelflick wrote:An Eagle driver at a recent airshow said the F-15's radar was even more capable than the F-22's, which was sitting on the ramp right next to it. I then queried the F-22 pilot and asked how his radar ranked vs. the F-15. "No contest" he said. I asked for clarification. He said no way was the F-15's radar better.

Better at what he didn't say. These guys are funny. Information? Dis information? Who knows. I think with respect to range and detecting aircraft further out, the new AESA sets F-15's are getting probably win that contest (but not by much). I also think that same AESA is much more likely to give away the F-15's position, vs. the Low Probability of Intercept radar the F-22 carries.

But I'm sure you'd agree - I'd rather be flying a Raptor :)

Maybe until the merge when the Eagle's JHMCS and full capability AIM-9X would be vital

by h-bomb » 01 Nov 2017, 05:26

jayraptor wrote:F-15's radar is considered large high-end radar with track range over 143Nm and search range 160Nm.

Really track to 143 NM?? That's it? When we did radar cal at Nellis on the F-4G's we would track Southwest 737's flying from Mccarran to LAX. If the radar did not track to 170 nm the receiver was sent back to the CRS guys for new crystals. Yes crystals, for the local oscillator, state of the art 1960's tech! The F-4E/G had a mode called spot light for long range tracking. I would be surprised if the F-14's could not do 200+ miles, due to the phoenix 100 nmi range. Head to head at even at 200 miles, VC would not leave much time to detect and shoot.

by magnum4469 » 02 Jul 2018, 01:04

"I talked to a pilot at a airshow and he said..." :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bang: :doh: :wtf: If anyone seriously thinks that a pilot at an airshow will give away the true capabilities of their systems you have been smoking way too much ganja...