F-14s against an F-16 and F-15 strike package

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 13 Nov 2011, 20:54

Who says Israel is going to use F-16s and F-15s?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by asianviper » 13 Nov 2011, 23:05

I think its more logical given that the IAF have conducted a mission like this before with success.

I also think that even with overflights most of the local airforces ie Jordan would convieniently look the other way and not create too much fuss.

Even the Saudis would be quite relieved if Iranian nuclear ambitions were put back a few decades if not completely destroyed.

I've also heard that the israelis were testing a ballistic missile recently possibly the Jericho 3 which if they have a conventional warhead for it would give them another option for any possible strike against Iran.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 14 Nov 2011, 02:23

Its times like these I'm surprised that Israel hasn't opted for F/A-18's so that they could fly clandestine missions out to the middle of nowhere only to be seen flying impossibly far missions. (Obviously with the plausible deniability intact of its ally that allowed it to refuel aboard ship.)

by avon1944 » 19 Nov 2011, 10:14

asianviper wrote:I also think that even with overflights most of the local airforces ie Jordan would convieniently look the other way and not create too much fuss.

While the IAF did not overfly Jordan, Saudi Arabia is another situation. All these weapons the SAAF has, and they allowed the IAF to fly over their airspace again, that would cause the people to want to allow the clerics to force a change in the government. Inside Saudi Arabia (near their border), it caused a huge rumbling because the IAF flew over their land. The Saudi monarcky has a very positive attitude towards the USA is quite different than the vast number of Saudi people.
Let us not forget the Iraqis and Afghstan people of whom the insurgents would stir-up the middle east into a big mess. The USA has spent to much money and 'blood' to bring the insurgents and clerics to stir the people.

asianviper wrote:Even the Saudis would be quite relieved if Iranian nuclear ambitions were put back a few decades if not completely destroyed.

Yes the Saudis (and the USA) were releaved when the reactor at Osirak was destroyed but, I am also sure the this time this time the people would go as well Saudis would revolt!

NOTE;
The IAF F-16s carried three higher capacity, 600gal. external fuel tanks for the F-16, which can replace the 370gal. tanks.

madrat wrote:Its times like these I'm surprised that Israel hasn't opted for F/A-18's so that they could fly clandestine missions out to the middle of nowhere only to be seen flying impossibly far missions.

Please tell me, what does the F/A-18 bring to the table that the combination of the F-15s and F-16 have not already given the IAF?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 20 Nov 2011, 11:21

Its times like these I'm surprised that Israel hasn't opted for F/A-18's so that they could fly clandestine missions out to the middle of nowhere only to be seen flying impossibly far missions. (Obviously with the plausible deniability intact of its ally that allowed it to refuel aboard ship.)

Well, that's a thought, isn't it? IAF Hornets could use carriers or operate from unimproved locations because of their tougher landing gear and with private firms offering air to air refueling, I believe the IAF could pull off an attack on Iran. I wonder how willing the Obama administration and Congress would be to allow the Israelis to purchase Hornets or Super Hornets and host them (at least for fuel and maybe ammo) aboard carriers for a defined amount of time. They would certainly have to have US help if they used Hornets.

Banned

by 1st503rdsgt » 20 Nov 2011, 12:45

Internationally, I've always gotten the impression that the F/A-18 only wins customers who are put off by the cost of the F-15, but still need a little more than what the F-16 has to offer. Israel doesn't really fit into that bracket.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 20 Nov 2011, 17:32

Yeah, they have modified Beagles, what do they need a hornet for when they have no carriers of their own.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by asianviper » 20 Nov 2011, 18:28

madrat wrote:Its times like these I'm surprised that Israel hasn't opted for F/A-18's so that they could fly clandestine missions out to the middle of nowhere only to be seen flying impossibly far missions. (Obviously with the plausible deniability intact of its ally that allowed it to refuel aboard ship.)

I think that would open up a whole different can of worms if the IAF operated F/A18 Hornets and had them landing on USN carriers for refuelling or air to air refuelling by USN tankers.
The way things are at the moment the american administration can at least publicly deny any active support if the Israelis launched this kind of mission. It would be a bit harder to deny with F/A18 Hornets with the star of David landing on american carriers.

Im also of the opinion that the IAF Eagles and Sufas are more capable aircraft for such a mission than the F/A18s.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 22 Nov 2011, 05:43

The way things are at the moment the american administration can at least publicly deny any active support if the Israelis launched this kind of mission. It would be a bit harder to deny with F/A18 Hornets with the star of David landing on american carriers.

Who says they have to have the Star of David on them?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by tacf-x » 25 Nov 2011, 20:45

discofishing wrote:Who says Israel is going to use F-16s and F-15s?

How would it be any different? The IAF's fighters are all F-15s and F-16s. They could have gone F/A-18, but what would be the point? Heavily modified Beagles and Vipers should suffice as the Israelis seem quite proficient at using them in war.

by avon1944 » 05 Dec 2011, 07:44

1st503rdsgt wrote:Internationally, I've always gotten the impression that the F/A-18 only wins customers who are put off by the cost of the F-15, but still need a little more than what the F-16 has to offer. Israel doesn't really fit into that bracket.

There also the issue of airframe life. The F/A-18 designed for carrier operations every three days for twenty years.
I have never heard a reason for the countries which chose the F/A-18 did not select the F/A-18L? (The land based version of the F/A-18.)

asianviper wrote:I think that would open up a whole different can of worms if the IAF operated F/A18 Hornets and had them landing on USN carriers for refuelling or air to air refuelling by USN tankers.

The IAF has the tankers should the attack aircraft for such an attack should they decide to fly to their targets by way of the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean and, to the Persian Gulf? That is a route that is many times longer than the route to Osirak.

asianviper wrote:The way things are at the moment the american administration can at least publicly deny any active support if the Israelis launched this kind of mission. It would be a bit harder to deny with F/A18 Hornets with the star of David landing on american carriers.

Anybody who pays any attention to the politics of the Middle East knows, the aircraft the IDF/IAF has.
Should any country get the idea that the USN participated with the Israelis in an attack on Iran, the USA should tell all the embassy staff plus the US military people in Iraq and Afghanistan to come home, for the USA's name would be mud. Massive revolts throughout the region would be common and many governments will change. The religious extremist will have a field day.

tacf-x wrote:The IAF's fighters are all F-15s and F-16s. They could have gone F/A-18, but what would be the point?

The F/A-18s would cost the IAF/IDF more money for maintenance. The F-15s and F-16s the same engines and some other of their parts are also the same or similar.
IF.... the IAF wanted the F/A-18L, that was a hot fighter. Several thousand pounds light, the airframe and other parts are lighter, not stressed for carrier landings.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 05 Dec 2011, 15:42

So the F/A-18L is a halfway between the YF-17 Cobra and the F/A-18 Hornet?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by avon1944 » 19 Dec 2011, 02:42

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:So the F/A-18L is a halfway between the YF-17 Cobra and the F/A-18 Hornet?

Thank you "sprstdlyscottsmn", that is an explaination I had not heard before and makes good sense!

by icemaverick » 22 Mar 2012, 17:25

I read in a BBC article that the only aircraft capable of carrying Israel's best bunker buster bomb is the F-15I. I'm guessing this strike package would consist of some F-15C "Baz" flying top cover to protect F-15Is "Ra'am" and F-16I "Sufa."

I'm guessing the Saudis would turn a blind eye to the IAF overflying their air space. Remember there is a Sunni-Shi'ite equation here and the Saudis are not comfortable with Iran acquiring nuclear weapons. On this issue at least, Saudi Arabia and Israel's interests are in harmony.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by m » 30 Mar 2012, 23:59

PreviousNext