USAF F-16s vs....?

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by silversmok3 » 01 Nov 2009, 19:52

As I read these comparisons with the F-16 to other aircraft, a thought comes to mind-will we , we being the USA, ever see large-scale air confrontations with other countries where the aerial expertise is good enough to 'challenge' us?

I ask, since the last few conflicts involving the USAF haven't featured air forces with either competitive equipment or tactics.

With performance margins between aircraft so similar, the next big aerial fight will come down to pilot skill and tactics.That said,will we ever fight an opponent skilled in ACM?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by callsignthumper » 08 Nov 2009, 05:46

Yeah lol thanks to "ace combat" hehe. No would be the logical answer. No one could challenge us. Some on here might think that countries would just send up Migs, and we would send up jets. In reality, we would use our "space goodies", and underlined tatics to, well think of Iraq, there air force didnt stand of chance, because we whiped out there coms, and no we couldnt be stopped, there is to much stuff we have, and no country is STUPID enough to envade us, to many civilians would be armed, be VERY STUPID, so we would take the fight over there country, and do what we always do, which isget air superiority. Besides if we would go to a HUGE war, id be up there flying as well, and i only fly flight sims, but im a BEAST at them, and would be safe to assume, pending on g forces, that i would deff be a ace pilot, of cou :P rse would have to get 5 kills, which wouldnt happen in the first place, so this whole question is irrelevant. However its fun to talk about.

by avon1944 » 08 May 2010, 23:42

silversmok3 wrote:As I read these comparisons with the F-16 to other aircraft, a thought comes to mind-will we , we being the USA, ever see large-scale air confrontations with other countries where the aerial expertise is good enough to 'challenge' us?

I can foresee another country/national leader being willing to challenge the US military because of the belief that America lacks the resolve to stay in combat where there are lots casualties. That is the way Saddam felt, Osama Bin Laden felt that President George Bush would probably only send a few cruise missiles as retaliation for the attacks on the WTC and the Pentagon. Bin Laden was surprised by President Bush's retaliation! Another international figure mis-calculating the actions of the USA.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by silversmok3 » 09 May 2010, 23:30

silversmok3 wrote:As I read these comparisons with the F-16 to other aircraft, a thought comes to mind-will we , we being the USA, ever see large-scale air confrontations with other countries where the aerial expertise is good enough to 'challenge' us?

I ask, since the last few conflicts involving the USAF haven't featured air forces with either competitive equipment or tactics.

With performance margins between aircraft so similar, the next big aerial fight will come down to pilot skill and tactics.That said,will we ever fight an opponent skilled in ACM?

As a new Airman in the USAF, im confident we will. And chances are the opponent will be a former ally,likely one that we trained .

We supplied the Mujahadeen in the 1970's as allies-and today those fighters, or their decendants, are wreaking havoc in Afghanistan today.

We supplied the Iranian Air Force with training and hardware in the same time period-and they became the 'bad guys' as well.

Its entirely possible that a nation we invite to Red Flag this year may start a fight next year.

by gyrfalcon16 » 17 Jun 2010, 06:30

silversmok3 wrote:Its entirely possible that a nation we invite to Red Flag this year may start a fight next year.

Aircraft and especially technologically breaking edge versions become quickly ineffective if the support mechanisms in-place to service them break down. While the USA may have superior equipment, technology, and training, it becomes meaningless if other factors get in the way.

It's true that we have a better air force than china, but if we got into a confrontation with china who would ultimately win?