F-16D vs F-18E

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?

F16D vs F-18E

Poll ended at 11 Aug 2009, 22:48

F-16
20%
F-18
80%

Total votes : 5

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by froe » 22 Jul 2009, 22:48

F-16 is faster but I've heard that F-18 has a better radar/electronics and it is more maneuverable. I'm giving my bet to the F-18. Whats your take on it?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 23 Jul 2009, 04:54

well, the nomenclature you use seems to denote a contest between a 4th Gen 2 seater and a 4.5 gen one seater. Shouldnt your argument be between the F-16E/F vs F/A-18E/F? In which case the F-16 is faster and has longer legs but the electronics are comprable and the Super Hornet is vastly more maneuverable and has a larger selection in weapons to place on more hardpoints.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by froe » 25 Jul 2009, 05:35

Correct me if I'm wrong but, why would the U.S. sell other countries a more advanced fighter then their own? I know we have F-22s but the F-16 is one of our most used fighters. i personally think that the U.S. F-16 Ds are the better fighters. But if I'm wrong lets change this into F-16E/F vs F-18 E/F. I still give my vote the the super hornet.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 27 Jul 2009, 03:13

The F-16D is a two seater, usually a trainer in the USAF. The majority of combat USAF F-16s are the C models. WRT the E model the C has a vastly INFERIOR radar, fuel load, combat load, and power. The only advantage a C holds over an E is turning, as the E is Heavier. The E/F were built by Lock-Mart to the specifications set by the UAE. While the USAF could theoretically build its own, an E model costs as much as an F-35, and there is no contest as to which of those planes is more potent, the F-35 just has to wait its turn a while longer. Also, the F-15s we sell to Korea and Isreal are better than our own as well. Whoever buys the newer models gets the newer models, its that simple. Think of it this way, I own a 2004 Mustang Convertable, you buy a 2009 Mustang Convertable. I already have a Mustang, and its great, but you have a better one. However, I will be buying a Corvette ZR-1 in three years. Why should I buy a 2009 Stang?

However, for most scenarios, I too would choose a Super Hornet over a Desert Viper, as long as range was not that great.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by froe » 27 Jul 2009, 18:25

Ok I understand but I think its a little stupid to sell better planes. Maybe the weapons we sell them are worse. But like you said we have the F-22.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by callsignthumper » 07 Nov 2009, 18:14

F-16 would win in a dogfight :notworthy: The super turd is a multirole plane, that saves the navy money, sense it takes over the viking for refueling, the prowler for electronic support, and the f-14 which is laughable, but hey? Its cheaper to maintain, but UNDERPOWERED, LOW SPEED, NOT AS MUNERVERABLE AS THE F-16 NO WAY NO HOW, ONLY HAS BETTER ELECTRONIS, SO IN A DOG FIGHT..... THE ANSWER ISSS F-16 :poke:
Last edited by callsignthumper on 07 Nov 2009, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by callsignthumper » 07 Nov 2009, 18:16

Oh yeah, and yeah other countries buy newaircraft, but we dont sell them our weapon systems. or radar, could be wrong, but i do know that what happens when we sell our frigits to countries, we strip them down to bare nothing.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 08 Nov 2009, 16:50

have you ever seen the Super Hornet fly???? That thing is more manueverable than the Viper by a LONG shot. The only thing that will out turn a SH is a Raptor.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by callsignthumper » 08 Nov 2009, 17:45

lol Some one is drinking the kool-aid. Yes ive seen ALOT of hornets flying, including your super-turd. Its overrated, and after talking to pilots who switched from 14's to super turds, well!!! I dont care what any stat says, because unless youv'e flown it we dont know for sure! With that said viper any day of the week! Ace combat 6 is a pretty realistic game in the sense, that the planes according to public stats are built off of, and although they fly simular in the game, i can do MUCH better in a f-16 c, with sidewnders only, against a super turd. Super turd is REALY slow. Its heavier, and has little engines that could! :lmao:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 08 Nov 2009, 18:21

your right, someone is drinking the Kool-Aid, and it isnt me. I have witnessed F/A-18Es performing faster and tighter turns than any other fighter I have ever seen (the whole teen series). That said, it does lack in the climb regime compared to AF fighters, but Navy fighters do. As for being slow, do you fly it? no you dont, so how do you know. How many navy pilots involved in the transition have you talked to? You base all your assumptions off a video game with piss poor excuse for "Physics". The F/A-18E/F has controlabilty throughout its flight profile that most other aircraft could only dream of.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by callsignthumper » 09 Nov 2009, 04:28

Hey you like what you want, and thats cool, you can also discuss your points till your blue in the face! Bottom line i'd fly the 16 anyday over the hornet, and you vise-versa, cant realy go wrong with either, because it be awsome to fly any fighter jet.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by PanAm » 01 Dec 2009, 05:42

Don't worry James this guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. And it's not Super turd, it's Super Hornet have some respect for a plane that defends your freedom. Try saying that to a Super Hornet pilot or his/her family, as long as they come back home in one piece after a LONG cruise in the rough SEAS, the plane is well worth a cold beer.
PAnam

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by silversmok3 » 01 Dec 2009, 12:39

It will come down to how well each pilot knows their aircraft.

The Viper has the advantage in the vertical regime, but the Hornet has the low speed manouverability aspect covered...the victor would be decided by which pilot manages his energy better.On paper its not really possible to say for certain which aircraft would win, unlike say a BFM one-on-one between a Mig 23 vs a Viper.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 05 Dec 2009, 06:24

ironicly, the MiG-23 upgrades can outclimb Vipers, or so I have read.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer