Question: Eglin Test Wing

Forum for job postings and employment advice.

by cutlassracer » 27 Sep 2007, 22:24

Does anyone know if the crew chiefs in the test wing are still AD Air Force? Would like to transfer to Eglin and go back to crewing fighters. Stuffing landing gear into F.R.E.D. is getting old. Currently a WG-10 Pneudraulics mech at Robins AFB, GA. Thanks in advance.
Torrejon, Homestead, Moody, Osan, Holloman
USAF Crew Chief 89-99
F-16D 90-0794/90-0779
F-117A 83-0807

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by VPRGUY » 27 Sep 2007, 23:26

Yes they are still AD. but there are getting to be more civilians on the line there. If you want in on line maintenance on fighers, check out Edwards and most of the training bases. You'd have much better luck there, larger number of civilians doing the maintenance.
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

by cutlassracer » 28 Sep 2007, 00:26

Cool, maybe soon. If I went to Edwards I'd be divorced, not real wild about So Cal myself. Applied for an ART job as a CC on the Special Ops 130's at Duke. I could live with that. Just wanting to get to Eglin area.
Torrejon, Homestead, Moody, Osan, Holloman
USAF Crew Chief 89-99
F-16D 90-0794/90-0779
F-117A 83-0807

by MakoWes » 22 Dec 2007, 09:24

There are plenty of jobs in the Eglin area. If you want to work for a contractor. I just turned down a job at Hurlburt working on the UC-26. They are also always hiring at the Crestview airport doing Special Ops aircraft mods.

Your best bet is to find a decent paying job as a contractor. Move to a nice area like Destin. Join the 919th SOW. Then start get your face known by the guys who work in the shops you want to work at. When there is an opening. They will let you know.

Good luck

by MakoWes » 22 Dec 2007, 09:34

by MakoWes » 22 Dec 2007, 09:39

www.sncorp.com

A&P Mechanic

Location Hurlburt Field FL

Public Job Description
The Licensed A & P Mechanic performs scheduled maintenance, makes repairs, and completes inspections required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Other responsibilities include; inspecting engines, landing gear, instruments, pressurized sections, brakes, valves, pumps, and air-conditioning systems. For example, other parts of the aircraft, do the necessary maintenance and replacement of parts. Repair sheet metal or composite surfaces, measure the tension of control cables, and check for corrosion, distortion, and cracks in the fuselage, wings, and tail. 5-10 years of experience is desired with maintenance experience on DoD aircraft. FAA repair station experience required and Quality Assurance experience desired. Extensive worldwide travel required. *Ability to obtain and retain a DoD security clearance required.

Requirements
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:

Minimum of a high school diploma with associate degree or higher desired. 5-10 years of aircraft maintenance experience is desired with maintenance experience on DoD aircraft preferred.

FAA repair station experience required and Quality Assurance experience desired but not required.

Ability to obtain and retain a DoD security clearance is required.

SKILLS REQUIRED:

FAA A&P License. Ability to work in a team environment

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ve_tec » 23 Dec 2007, 00:34

In case you didn't know, the ACC side of the base is going to be the F-35 training wing. I don't know how much of that is going to be civilian contract.

by Rocky_LC » 23 Dec 2007, 01:14

It would seem to me that the initial F-35 bed-down would be almost entirely AD and Lockheed Martin Tech Reps.

The USAF needs to build it's experience base, and LM Aero guys are the only ones who will know the jets well enough to provide the initial support.

Just my .02

Rocky

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by VPRGUY » 28 Dec 2007, 15:10

Did you get anywhere applying as a crew chief at Duke? I'm an FE there, just wondering. Other tidbits: Don't apply to the 5th SOS at Eglin, they're drawing down right now and you'd soon be out of a job. Are you familiar with the area? If not, aviod Destin. It is nice, but it is the most expensive place to live around here. Crestview used to be reasonable, but like everywhere else the real estate market got way inflated there too. Prices are finally starting to fall, check out www.realtor.com, zipcode 32536. Nice rentals there, too. If you don't mind a little longer commute, Baker and Milton offer even cheaper housing. Keep in mind if you buy, you are going to saddle on some hefty tax and insurance premiums to cover all the rich f$#*#$S on the beach don't pay enough insurance to cover their $10 million property. There is a TON of contractor work here, but there are also a TON of retirees, and the contractors know it. They also know they can pay a retiree less, and not offer benefits, because Uncle Sugar gives those guys a check and a hospital bed whenever they need it. For a non-retiree like me, that means a smaller check and negliable benefits. Now, if you have a degree, or an A&P, there is a decent amount of good paying jobs. Crestview Aerospace (now owned by L-3), AIC, and others down at Hurlburt are almost always looking for an A&P mechanic. Check out this website too:
www.employflorida.com
Do a search based on the zip code (32536 again), with a 50 mile radius. That will get you all the way from Panama City/Tyndal AFB to Pensacolsa/Pensacola NAS.
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.