F-16 Openings - Technician in UAE

Forum for job postings and employment advice.

by aaron72 » 18 Oct 2012, 18:35

I have been approached for a technician role in UAE for the F-16 program. I sent my resume over and had a brief conversation over the phone. I was then asked to send over a copy of my certificates and a copy of my pp. I have yet to do this, I am hoping someone here can tell me if this is normal for UAE roles or not before I do send.

Let me know please, this job sounds perfect and I want to move forward or on to something legitimate.

F16ALF@gmail.com

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by razamanaz » 18 Oct 2012, 22:18

A request for copies of your training certificates is a normal part of the screening & hiring process since the recruiter must verify your qualifications. The request for a copy of your pp is also normal in order for both the employer and the host country to verify your identity and perform a background check just as stateside employers routinely require a photo ID such as your driver's license.

In my past experience, a major point of contention with mid-east employment involved companies demanding to physically retain an employee's actual pp in a safeguarded location (e.g. a company safe) for the duration of their employment at that location unless needed for travel outside the country. The rationale provided claimed that it was a company and/or host country security policy to prevent employees from losing their - due to carelessness or theft; however, the general impression was that it was more a desire on the company's part to prevent disgruntled employees from arbitrarily quitting and returning stateside before their contracts were up. Someone who is currently employed by your prospective company can advise you of their policy regarding possession of - while in-country.

Good luck!
Last edited by razamanaz on 18 Oct 2012, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

by aaron72 » 18 Oct 2012, 22:19

Thank you for this info. It is greatly appreciated.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by razamanaz » 18 Oct 2012, 22:29

aaron72 wrote:Thank you for this info. It is greatly appreciated.

You're very welcome!

by bigal11 » 19 Oct 2012, 01:30

aaron72 wrote:I have been approached for a technician role in UAE for the F-16 program. I sent my resume over and had a brief conversation over the phone. I was then asked to send over a copy of my certificates and a copy of my pp. I have yet to do this, I am hoping someone here can tell me if this is normal for UAE roles or not before I do send.

Let me know please, this job sounds perfect and I want to move forward or on to something legitimate.

F16ALF@gmail.com

which recruiting company was this...pm me

by p0intyhead » 19 Oct 2012, 16:20

This is indeed a normal procedure for the UAE. I could not comment on whether the new/current company will want to physically retain your pp. The previous company did not, thus allowing you the ability to retain your pp for travel on long weekends or holidays. But the regime is changing. The only thing I will caution you on from experience is even though the job sounds perfect, make sure you read and understand all the "fine print". I know roughly what they are offering as compensation. I also know the cost of living and what housing you will be able to afford from the salary. If you are single and used to living without a lot of frills in life then it will not be bad for you. But be careful not to make the same mistake others have and get here only to be surprised at how little you make after all your expenses.

"If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, there is just more fertilizer to walk through."

by de82 » 21 Oct 2012, 04:56

p0intyhead wrote:This is indeed a normal procedure for the UAE. I could not comment on whether the new/current company will want to physically retain your pp. The previous company did not, thus allowing you the ability to retain your pp for travel on long weekends or holidays. But the regime is changing. The only thing I will caution you on from experience is even though the job sounds perfect, make sure you read and understand all the "fine print". I know roughly what they are offering as compensation. I also know the cost of living and what housing you will be able to afford from the salary. If you are single and used to living without a lot of frills in life then it will not be bad for you. But be careful not to make the same mistake others have and get here only to be surprised at how little you make after all your expenses.

"If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, there is just more fertilizer to walk through."

It is expensive if you choose for it to be. I have my family with me, wife and daughter, and we put away 2/3's of our weekly check to savings each week and still go out to eat at least once a week and find some form of entertainment, buy groceries and gas, and everything else that goes on a weekly budget. We are living somewhat modestly, but that is what we choose to do. Now, if you find yourself frequenting "The 49ers" or other establishments like this, go out and drink every night of the week, and eat out every day...then yes, your pay check will look very pitiful at the end of the week.

He has a point though, READ EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY and know what you are getting yourself into. There are a lot of gripes about the current Company running the show out here. I must say though, I've been to worse places with lower pay and less benefits. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

by lfossey » 22 Oct 2012, 13:01

Aaron, this is very common in GCC area right now as they turn towards employing locally rather through large Foreign companies. If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call, this is what I do on a day to day basis. Visit our website -

www.f16jobs.com or shoot me an email at - lee@f16jobs.com

Hopefully I can be of help to you in your search.

Lee

by pitbull_192 » 04 Nov 2012, 15:43

Hi! They will not retain your pp... REPEAT not retain your pp. This is something that usually happens to Third Country Nationals. I'm an American living and working over here, and this option of retaining one's pp never happened to me nor any of my colleagues. Americans, Canadians, Brits, EU nationals, Aussies, NZ'ers, Japanese, Korean and a a few others do get preferred status treatment. That's just the way it is. Yes, not fair, but hey... it is what it is.