RAF transition from Tornado GR4 to F-35B Lightning II

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!
Banned

by raffaauk48 » 29 Oct 2015, 20:05

Hello everybody
I would like to introduce myself : I am a pilot with the RAF since 2007, I used to fly Tornado GR4 ( till now ).
I am so excited for the transition to the F-35B. I think its a great aircraft and will bring the UK a quantum leap over existing fourth generation aircrafts, especially with the proliferation of Russian and Chinese IADS such as S-300 and S-400 and I think in case of conflict our Lightning II fleet will be responsible for taking-out these systems which is in continuation with our existing mission in the Tornado fleet plus the tremendous air to air capabilities this aircraft brings for the RAF and RN.
Thanks and accept me in this great forum

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 30 Oct 2015, 01:14

Welcome RAF! I look forward to hearing your stories and perspectives on the ever changing world of military aviation! What did you think of the GR4? What are you looking forward to most in the F-35B?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 30 Oct 2015, 01:40

Welcome sir - hopefully one of the very few forums that understands what you are saying and wont try to convince you 4th Gen jets are better because they look great at airshows. 8)

Banned

by raffaauk48 » 30 Oct 2015, 02:15

basher54321 wrote:Welcome sir - hopefully one of the very few forums that understands what you are saying and wont try to convince you 4th Gen jets are better because they look great at airshows. 8)

Thanks. The world is changing, and if you want to survive you have to adapt, there is probably only small room for development regarding old capabilities and what this jet offers opens a new era of military aviation, it would be unfair to call it fifth Generation aircraft, I mean the F-22 is a great air combat jet that defined fifth generation but what the F-35 offers, its only fair to call it already 5+ Generation aircraft.
Last edited by raffaauk48 on 30 Oct 2015, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

Banned

by raffaauk48 » 30 Oct 2015, 02:34

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Welcome RAF! I look forward to hearing your stories and perspectives on the ever changing world of military aviation! What did you think of the GR4? What are you looking forward to most in the F-35B?

GR4 is a nice jet, but its aging.
What I look for in F-35B are the combined unparalleled capabilities regarding stealth, SA, EW, BVR/WVR and survivability, also the transition from two crew aircraft to single pilot jet would be new to me, I think I'm gonna miss my lad but I have to use to it :( .
The return of the UK forces to carrier operations is essential part for the nation security and its international commitments and relations with allies.
Fifth Generation F-35B integration with Typhi fleet would be interesting though I think the F-35B would be used in air to ground missions as the case with current GR4 but its SA, EW and BVR will bring us into new level.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 30 Oct 2015, 07:43

raffaauk48 wrote:GR4 is a nice jet, but its aging.
What I look for in F-35B are the combined unparalleled capabilities regarding stealth, SA, EW, BVR/WVR and survivability, also the transition from two crew aircraft to single pilot jet would be new to me, I think I'm gonna miss my lad but I have to use to it :( .
The return of the UK forces to carrier operations is essential part for the nation security and its international commitments and relations with allies.
Fifth Generation F-35B integration with Typhi fleet would be interesting though I think the F-35B would be used in air to ground missions as the case with current GR4 but its SA, EW and BVR will bring us into new level.

Another Welcome from here! I hope you can share some of your experiences and feelings about F-35B when your transition is going on. I could imagine Tornado and F-35B are two very different aircraft with very different ways of operating and operation. You might have some very interesting times ahead... 8)

I think you can still talk to HAL 9000 with F-35B (like in Typhoon)... May not be the same though as a real bloke in the other seat... :wink:

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 30 Oct 2015, 11:01

I really wish for the UK to lead the rest of the EU into doing more and more on the Global Defense front. I know the EU is capable of it and if every participating EU country can meet that Military Budget of 2% of their GDP, I think the EU could be very transformative on the world stage and let the US focus on Russia / China and the pivot to Asia.