Hello! - How about designing a 2 seat twin-engine F-16?

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!

by iconbadgta » 15 May 2014, 23:55

Hello! Name is Adam and I have been in love with the F-16 since I was like 7!

Iron Eagle did it for me!

I have been to the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH and have pics and even got to sit in a F-16 cockpit which was awesome!

Anyway, I have a bunch of ideas and a schematic I am currently working on for a 2 engine F-16 version I call the F-17 Cobra.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone and love this site!

Also I wanted to take a second to edit my intro because I noticed that allot of the members here are Veteran
's and current armed forces member and I wanted to say something to them..

I want to first off say THANK YOU! Thank you for giving me the honor of living in a free god fearing country in which I am able to live life to the fullest I can make it! Thank you for sticking your neck out on the line to ensure that freedom continues on. Thank you for going to war and fighting terrorists and enemies of freedom, and Thank you for ensuring that I can close my eyes every single night knowing that if some crazed third world lunatic decides to try and do something crazy with his military I know men and women like yourselves will be there going and doing as fast as you can to remove the threat and go after the people who do it!

With that being said, I wanted to post what I mentioned above, my 2 seat F-16 redo I call the F-17 Cobra! I always figured that the F/A-18 engines were smaller enough to fit into the F-16 engine bay, to me 2 engines are the only way to go in case of engine failure you can still limp home with one, plus the extra thrust can't hurt either especially if it allows a larger payload!

I am hoping to maybe team up with someone who is good with schematics and art to possibly make this a Royalty free open jet design that anyone can make themselves as a kit if someone would like to go further with it when I am finished..

Cobra w.i.p.png

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by sirsapo » 16 May 2014, 17:00

First off, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, I hate to break it to you, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YF-17

by h-bomb » 16 May 2014, 21:18

The F-17 is not a twin engine F-16, the AIDC F-CK1 however is much closer to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDC_F-CK-1_Ching-kuo

by iconbadgta » 16 May 2014, 22:09

Yeah, I know about the YF-17 aka early F-18 McDonnell Douglass ended up buying and redoing for the Navy, but defanantly not a dual engine F-16!

Basically what I am after is a F-16 with 2 F-18 engines and F-15ish wing design.... Ultimate maneuverability's with super thrust, something the Air force should have built in the first place!

I am eventually going to find a model specs download, maybe a rc kit download and redo the back end for what I am after, that's the part I want to team up with someone on to do so people can have one if they wanted as well.

That's what I am after, a F-16 with a back end redo for the dual engine and some tweaks, that's all, yeah i'm probably in over my head but heck, no reason not to when I can draw like I can and have Adobe Illustrator to do it with!

Thanks for the responses guys, see ya!

Adam

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 16 May 2014, 22:15

You know what they say about a twin?

"Double trouble".

Twice the chance of engine failure, engine fire, fuel leaks, bad wiring, bad components.

Your MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) goes double too.
Rendering the plane less reliable.

PS : I LOVE the F-16, worked on it, flew in it.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 16 May 2014, 23:37

A two seat, twin-engine F-16?
Wouldn't that be an F-15E?
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 18 May 2014, 19:49

iconbadgta wrote:Yeah, I know about the YF-17 aka early F-18 McDonnell Douglass ended up buying and redoing for the Navy, but defanantly not a dual engine F-16!

Basically what I am after is a F-16 with 2 F-18 engines and F-15ish wing design.... Ultimate maneuverability's with super thrust, something the Air force should have built in the first place!

I am eventually going to find a model specs download, maybe a rc kit download and redo the back end for what I am after, that's the part I want to team up with someone on to do so people can have one if they wanted as well.

That's what I am after, a F-16 with a back end redo for the dual engine and some tweaks, that's all, yeah i'm probably in over my head but heck, no reason not to when I can draw like I can and have Adobe Illustrator to do it with!

Thanks for the responses guys, see ya!

Adam

I don't believe the F-16 body is wide enough for two F404/414 class engines side-by-side without major changes. Apparently, GE are working on a smaller, more efficient (bypass?) engine for use in drone, based on the F414. The economics of two advanced smaller engines over a F110 is questionable.

The thing to remember about the single debate is that its extremely rare that an advanced fighter engine (F119/F135/F414) core gets damaged to the point of loss of thrust. In the F414, an AMAD failure, fuel leak, oil leak, or hydraulic leak is usually the reason the engine gets shut down. These engines have single piece blisk fans in the front sections, which are much less likely to loose metal fragments than an older engine. The metal debris from the fan or first stage compressor is usually what destroys an engine after a bird strike. One famous case was when a F-22 pilot had an 8 Lb loon bird go into the F119 engine without causing any abnormality of the engine. The engine kept running normally.

For various reasons, F/A-18s have crashed after loosing an engine. Fuel pressurization problems on one engine is has occurred several times. I'd have to check the stats, but the USAF are not loosing more F-16s than US Navy/Marine F/A-18s due to engine or related issues. Several F-16s have landed safely after a bird strike, and the one that crashed recently in AZ was partially blamed on improper low-key approach positioning by the pilots.

Its likely that if a F-35 has a bird strike, the F135 engine will keep running with sufficient thrust to land safely.