From a Frustrated Fighter Pilot...

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!

by frustratedpilot » 29 Nov 2011, 22:43

I see I'm not the only Brit here. Hi fellas! I'm a frustrated fighter pilot, after my late father flew in the Battle of Britain. Now in my forties, it's a dream that will never be realised. I still remember going to see my doctor when I was 15, and asking him if my eyesight would ever improve. When he said no, I was crying before I even got out of his surgery!

Still, this is life, and I sort of learned to accept it. I have to say, though, that when I go to air shows, I still get - quite literally - physical pain in my chest when I see the fighters.

I love the way you real pilots talk in a matter-of-fact way about getting into these magnificent machines, and flying over eight tons of metal around the sky. I just hope you realise how lucky you are!

The thread on start-up of an F-16 really interested me. Not because I have any intention of stealing one, but because one of my dreams is to have a simulator set up in my garage that is completely realistic, every switch, every dial. I want one that can invert, too, but that might have to wait a few years.

Anyway, all that to say: thank you for the insight and humour you guys insert into this forum, and above all - be safe.

by frustratedpilot » 29 Nov 2011, 23:53

Hey, just thinking about my father, actually. Once, a long time ago, this would be like 1995 or so, a couple of years before he died, and 50 years since he left the Royal Air Force, we went to an airshow here in Britain. I remember when we were leaving the Air Station, there were still a couple of Tornado interceptors flying around, and my father said, 'why has that one get a red tail?', as he indicated an aircraft about five miles out.

'Pffff!' I laughed. 'There's no red tail, and besides, you're in your seventies, so give it a rest!'

Seconds later, the Tornado in question comes screaming over, and guess what. Yep. It had a red tail.

The guy had eyesight like Chuck Yeagar. Not fair!

Rest in peace, Dad!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by RyanCollins » 01 Dec 2011, 19:44

From another frustated pilot: Welcome to F-16.net, and hope you enjoy the site. :cheers:

Nice story about your dad, BTW. You must be really proud of him :).

Best regards!
A circle is the reflection of eternity: It has no beginning, and it has no end...

by frustratedpilot » 01 Dec 2011, 20:15

RyanCollins wrote:Nice story about your dad, BTW. You must be really proud of him :).

Immensely. It's tempting to say that he was a 'great man' - and to his five children and his wife, he was. But what made him great was just that he was just there for us. An ordinary dude who went out to work every day, who treated his wife with respect and who helped us with our homework.

Another little story: he and I were close. I'm the youngest of the five, and stayed at home the longest. We'd talk about flying all the time, and when we went for walks together, we'd walk 'in formation'. LOL!! When I think of it, now!! Not the whole walk, of course, but for example, on a hill when he - in his sixties already - wasn't able to climb the hill as fast as I could, I'd drop back a little bit to let him set the pace, so as not to push him to hard, and that would be us 'in formation'. I'd be just off his five o'clock, a bit behind him.

LOL!! My mother thought we were crazy.

Yeah, we miss him. Fourteen years almost, and we still miss him. Dang ... :( :( :( :( :( :(

Banned

by geogen » 03 Dec 2011, 07:11

It was a horrible time in mankind's history, but you should be proud of your pops, just as well Great Britain should be thankful for his service.

Thanks for sharing here on F16.net, mate. Cheers-
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by uncleslashy » 03 Dec 2011, 18:45

I'd be just off his five o'clock, a bit behind him.

Funny, that's where I find my wingman most of the time... :)

by frustratedpilot » 03 Dec 2011, 19:01

uncleslashy wrote:

*whimper*

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by RyanCollins » 03 Dec 2011, 23:26

uncleslashy wrote:

This remind me a nice Dos Gringos song:

"Has anybody seen my wingman?
I'm sure he's in a helluva fix
I've scanned all through the skies
But I needn't use my eyes
'Cause that f***er only flies
At my dead six"

LOL :lol:

Greetings
A circle is the reflection of eternity: It has no beginning, and it has no end...