Tally-Ho!

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by minneford » 17 Jul 2011, 03:14

Hi! and I think I should have introduced myself a long time ago.

Back in 1981 I moved away from NYC to Phoenix Arizona.

My late friend followed me out there by transferring to Luke AFB west of Phoenix.

I recall 1982 sleeping illegally in the dorm of Luke for 2 weeks until our new apartment came through.

The Headline on Tally-Ho Newspaper said "Twilight For The Thud" and showed a last Thunderchief taking off.

It was replaced by the F-16A and B models. If anyone has video of the homecoming of the F-16 at Luke I can be seen shaking hands with then Gov Bruce Babbitt and other VIP's.

I literally became a member of the Luke community attending many parties and events.

It was fun to see the F-15E versus the F-16XL but USAF didnt want a tailess delta wing.

While I was there they sold off most F-104 Starfighters we had to West Germany and Taiwan

In 1984 I became extremely sick with Cholangitis and went back to NYC. Then a bunch of bad things happened that stranded me in NYC. One is I almost died and then my parents almost died.

I know this sounds odd, but I volunteered for the USAF in 1972 and was 4F.

I was morbidly obese and had bad vision. 3 Diopter pilots are not wanted