Greetings from San Diego!

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!

by futuref16driver » 08 Dec 2010, 01:57

Hi!

My name is Jack, and I am from San Diego! I am in college, almost a sophmore. I am attending an online university called Western Governors University. I am getting my bachelors in accounting, and am hoping to have my degree by the end of 2012 or so. So roughly two years.

The reason I joined this site, is that I'm hopefully going to take flying lessons next year in my own Cessna 150, from a friend of my Dad's who flew F-4s with my Dad in the CA ANG at March back in the day, who is a CFI.

My plan A is that I am going to apply with the 144th up at Fresno to fly F-16's, and then from there transfer to the detachment at March ARB, so I can fly closer to home.

Plan B, if I like flying but don't really want to fly, is to go active and be a WSO in something like the F-15E or the B-1.

This should happen in about 4 years, so hopefully this will sound feasbile. Right now, I am working at my Dad's adjusting firm in downtown, and I am also a dressage rider, riding horses 2-3 times a week.

I am hoping that some of the skills I've learned at least mentally under saddle, will come in handy as a pilot. For example, I'm thinking of the time I rode without stirrups, but yet held my posititon, not panicking, because I was too busy solving the problem at hand with my horse!

One last little tibit before I end this message. I met this guy at the Reno Air Races 2004, whose nickname is Mad Uek, a German AF pilot. Turns out, my dad converted his unit to F-4s 30 years ago when he was in germany with USAFE. He let me sit in the front seat of the F-4F 72-1174, and let me turn on the fuel switch for the engines!

When I went with my Mom to Germany last year, we stopped in Wittmund where he lives. He got us onto the acutal base, and we got to see the F-4s fly at night and in the day! What an incredible sight, those afterburners! Anyways, he got me into the sim room and checked me out in the F-4. Afterwards I asked how I did and he said "You were a great stick."

The amazing part about this is, that he retired in '05, and hadn't flown the pattern at Wittmund for 5 years, but yet he gave me the readouts of the headings perfectly. By the way, I didn't crash the jet in the sim at all.

Sorry for the long intro, just thought you'd like a little background information. My dad, who was an F-4 pilot has inspired me to hopefully, become a figher pilot, or depending on how flying lessons turn out, a back seater in the F-15.

Jack

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 08 Dec 2010, 03:40

Salute!

Way to go!

Get with greekness or delta about an alternative plan.

Others here have made it into the Viper via various means.

Gums sends....
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

by futuref16driver » 08 Dec 2010, 03:54

Gums wrote:Salute!

Way to go!

Get with greekness or delta about an alternative plan.

Others here have made it into the Viper via various means.

Gums sends....

Hi Gums!

Thanks! I'll get in touch with them soon. Also, this might be wishful thinking on my part, but if in two and a half years, the HIANG has any F-22 slots open, I would probably like to go for one of those. If not, I'll fall back to the Viper.

I really think I would like to fly, so I doubt I'll do Plan C, however, it is always a possibility. I thought that perhaps the Guard would be a good way to go, as I could still work for my dad's adjusting office as an adjuster in whatever state I fly F-16s for.

Jack