Me, Tina from Finland

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!

by satoria » 13 Sep 2010, 19:40

Hi,
as mentioned, I´m Tina, a german lady living since 10 years in Finland.

My main connection to Aviation is most probably much different than those of most of you. In fact, it is based on negative experiences such as close escaping an A-10 crash into a living area in Remscheid/Germany in 1986, or the Rammstein incindent that hurt the flight sows reputation so badly...some stories of "oncles" who flew the Starfighter and participated frequently in funerals (wasn´t it that in one year 27 crashed and 17 pilots died?). Last not least my fear of flying in a civilian air plan - too many people in one place! Still, I wanted to join the Army, and become a Tornado pilot. At this time women were not allowed to join the german army, so I ended up in Biotechnology-Science and just "forgot the whole thing" .

Many, many years I forgot the sound of thunder (during my childhood I remember supersonic flights over populated areas), but I was reminded of it when moving to Finland and observing the F-18 hornets. Several times I fell down during dog walks, because I was looking up, and not down.

It took me again some years until I finally got closer to aviation, based on the fact that now I live just 10 km away from the Airbase Tampere-Pirkkala, where I finally was happy to visit the International Air Show. I fell in love with the F-16 right away. Now I want to know more about this agil plane that got my attention, so be sure I am around though I will not have to say very much, since I simply do not have anything to say ABOUT THE f-!& you guys would not know;)

BR
Tina

by vegasdave901 » 13 Sep 2010, 19:44

I think you meant to say F-!^ not F-!&. The F-!& or more correctly the YF-!& was the precursor to the F/A-!*.

by satoria » 13 Sep 2010, 19:58

F****, caps lock!

by satoria » 13 Sep 2010, 20:00

without it it is F-16 (at least on this Swedish keyboard, which is different than my German one, which makes my typing even worse).

by vegasdave901 » 13 Sep 2010, 20:10

Welcome to the forums, Tina! Like you I'm not a flyer or a fixer just a big fan. This is a great place to just sit back and soak in F-16 info. When I first joined I spent days going thru back posts looking for interesting facts, pictures, etc. Found lots and lots of stuff!

by ViperDude » 14 Sep 2010, 14:11

Welcome to the Forum Tina!! Never been to Finland...

ViperDude

by vegasdave901 » 14 Sep 2010, 20:22

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I want to be
Pony trekking or camping
Or just watching TV
Finland, Finland, Finland
It's the country for me
-Monty Python

by satoria » 15 Sep 2010, 05:16

Finland rules (if you love solitude in Nature, privacy which sometimes may result in lonelyness, Heavy Metal Festivals and booze)...and btw. was the first country to have an Air Force.

by riddik » 15 Sep 2010, 07:55

satoria wrote:Finland ... the first country to have an Air Force.

Its a great news to all flight fans. I don't know thew fact that Finland was the first country to have an Air Force.. Thanks for the information.

by dfischer » 15 Sep 2010, 14:46

Tina,
I have been fortunate enough to spend time in both Germany and Finland. I have to say the folks in both places made it well worth the time spent there. I was fortunate enough to be stationed in Germany while in the AF and had a pleasureable time during many business trips to Finnair outside of Helsinki.

by satoria » 16 Sep 2010, 18:40

@ dfisher: That´s nice to hear! I guess you have been based in Southern Germany?
If I have to fly, I always fly with Finnair. As far as I know all their pilots are trained by the AF, and they never lost a plane! Wonder, if there is any connection between those facts, but anyhow, its keeps me calmer;)