Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 07:09
by montanalon
On July 8th of this year I flew in Thunderbird 8 with Maj. Tony Mulhare as a winner of the Thunderbirds "Everyday action Hero" in Peoria, Illinois. Thought I would drop by and spread some thank yous around to all of the men and women who keep the f-16 flying.

RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 07:15
by Rocky_LC
This thread is useless without pictures!

Congrats! I'm sure everyone would like to see pix of your flight.

Rocky

RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 07:25
by montanalon
Rocky_LC wrote:This thread is useless without pictures!


Congrats! IThey are here. http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopi ... rt-15.html

RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 15:23
by MechFromHell
Wow! Ride of a lifetime huh? What did you do to win the Everyday Action Hero award?

RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 16:29
by runi_dk
Wow grats!!!!

what did you do :) ?

RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 18:17
by montanalon
I am a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT/Diver and a Manager at a retail store and I hire developmentally disabled when I can. My wife wrote the letter nominating me without me even knowing there was a contest. First I knew about it was when I was selected as one of the 3 finalists that were submitted to the Thunderbirds. As for a single specific act that got me selected, there isn't one, it was the sum of the parts. The biggest deal I was ever a part of was a river rescue during the flood of 2008. We pulled a woman from the river when it was flooded. Other than that no big incidents, just fires and wrecks and sick people. When I have looked at the others that have received this honor, the co-pilot of the plane that crashed into the Hudson, a Chicago FF that pulled a baby out of Lake Michigan, several cops shot in line of duty or that pulled someone from a burning vehicle, I am not in that league. I am part of a team that does heroic things but I am not a hero.

Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 19:05
by energo
montanalon wrote:I am a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT/Diver and a Manager at a retail store and I hire developmentally disabled when I can. My wife wrote the letter nominating me without me even knowing there was a contest. First I knew about it was when I was selected as one of the 3 finalists that were submitted to the Thunderbirds. As for a single specific act that got me selected, there isn't one, it was the sum of the parts. The biggest deal I was ever a part of was a river rescue during the flood of 2008. We pulled a woman from the river when it was flooded. Other than that no big incidents, just fires and wrecks and sick people. When I have looked at the others that have received this honor, the co-pilot of the plane that crashed into the Hudson, a Chicago FF that pulled a baby out of Lake Michigan, several cops shot in line of duty or that pulled someone from a burning vehicle, I am not in that league. I am part of a team that does heroic things but I am not a hero.


Well I can only :salute: and thank's for sharing!


B. Bols√ły
Oslo

RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 22:23
by vegasdave901
Montanalon, you are indeed a hero. You put it pretty succinctly yourself by saying it wasn't one particular incident, it's the sum of the parts.

RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 03:03
by Meathook
It takes all kinds and all jobs in our country to make a difference, you are doing just that,

Good on You and Thanks for your effort,

I am glad you got to fly in one of our (team) jets, then again, any ride in a fighter is freaking amazing, but a Thunderbird Red, Thunderbird White and Thunderbird Blue painted jet is HISTORY and dont let anyone tell you otherwise..

Salute and Job well done!

For the rest of your life, you will NEVER forget this wonderful moment, nor should you...later dude and keep up that great work, our country needs more like you

RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 03:33
by montanalon
I am glad you got to fly in one of our (team) jets, then again, any ride in a fighter is freaking amazing, but a Thunderbird Red, Thunderbird White and Thunderbird Blue painted jet is HISTORY and dont let anyone tell you otherwise..
Salute and Job well done!
For the rest of your life, you will NEVER forget this wonderful moment, nor should you...later dude and keep up that great work, our country needs more like you

SO are you one the ones I need to thank? If so, thank you for all you do. The Thunderbirds made me a memory that I could never forget.

RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 04:38
by bandito
Congratulations on a well deserved ride. Thank you for
what you have done and do to earn this.

Bandito

RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 05:45
by Rocky_LC
Thanks for the pictures, and congrats on your ride!

Glad to see it went to a deserving individual!

Rocky

RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 11:28
by Meathook
No sir, I am an Ex-Team Member who merely wishes you well, I think your thanks should go to the folks in your area that nominated you for this wonderful event (just do what you have done always to help your fellow man).

Just keep doing the job you do, that will be "thanks" enough for your community. I am sure the current team members were more than happy to help you in this event, no "thanks needed.

When I was on the team, we flew many folks but none that actually earned it like yourself (other than fellow USAF types), we flew many "celebs types that I felt should never have gotten a ride" but folks like you sure earned it in my book.

Again - Well Done and if you have not done so, just send the "Team" a thank you card, it will mean everything to them too.

Best of luck - Salute

SMSgt Tom Wharton, USAF Thunderbird 1988 to 1991,
Production Superintendent, Chief of Quality Assurance and Line Chief

"Once a Thunderbird, Always a Thunderbird"...

Re: RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 15:54
by MechFromHell
vegasdave901 wrote:Montanalon, you are indeed a hero. You put it pretty succinctly yourself by saying it wasn't one particular incident, it's the sum of the parts.


I agree completely! Again, congrats and thank you for all you do.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 16:25
by Lurch
Montanalon thanks for your service, and your ride was very well deserved. Glad that your experience was a great one.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 18:18
by elguapo
I think the "Every day Action Hero" rides that the Thunderbirds are doing is great. Someday it would be great to see the number of Every day Action Heros that get back seat rides far out number celebrity back seat rides! Montanalon you are far more deserving of that ride than any celebrity :salute:
Regards, El Guapo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Luckiest guy in the world

Unread postPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 07:08
by montanalon
elguapo wrote:I think the "Every day Action Hero" rides that the Thunderbirds are doing is great. Someday it would be great to see the number of Every day Action Heros that get back seat rides far out number celebrity back seat rides! Montanalon you are far more deserving of that ride than any celebrity :salute:
Regards, El Guapo


I agree, there are a lot of people that deserve to fly with them more than a lot of the celebrities that have gone up. I don't know if the rest of the "heros" they have taken up have enjoyed it but I definitely enjoyed it a lot. That was some serious fun, only problem is now I want to do it again. Actually, 2 days after my ride, I talked to the F-18 demo pilot that was at the airshow and he was jealous of me. I tried to tell him I really needed to fly in an f-18 but that didn't pan out.