Question about afterburner stages

Always wondered why the F-16 has a tailhook, or how big a bigmouth F-16's mouth really is ? Find it out here !
  • Author

Purplehaze

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Apr 2008, 02:11

So Vark.....you have done it....hehehehe

We had a bunch of the bird watchers standing outside the fence at Bentwaters in either 84 or 85. We were TDY from the 429th in Vegas for a month. Anyway we did a trim pad run and they wanted to stand right behind us for a photo op.....well we gave them one. When the can blew up they all started running. It was one of the best TDY's I have ever had, and I had been there before, just not put up in a nice hotel in Felixstowe.

VarkVet

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Apr 2008, 02:23

Purplehaze wrote:So Vark.....you have done it....hehehehe

We had a bunch of the bird watchers standing outside the fence at Bentwaters in either 84 or 85. We were TDY from the 429th in Vegas for a month. Anyway we did a trim pad run and they wanted to stand right behind us for a photo op.....well we gave them one. When the can blew up they all started running. It was one of the best TDY's I have ever had, and I had been there before, just not put up in a nice hotel in Felixstowe.

No mate … I’ve heard about it though. I’m serious about fighter maintenance safety. The furthest I went was turn the lights off in the hush house and run burner for a light show. I take that back … I’ve cracked zone 1 in an F-111 a few times in a 3rd generation shelter after a fuel flow transmitter change. and … :oops:
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Apr 2008, 02:23

:whistle: Who ME!?!... Don't give the kids any ideas. :wink: They do make great fire-ball explosions when properly planned and executed. :devil:

Cool yes, but smart in today's PC climate? NO :nono:

There are many do's and don'ts when it comes to screwing around and jet engines... The two can make a leathal (if not career ending) combination.

NOTE: 2-3K degree flame + sealed steel can of flammable liquid = COOL!

Per recent events, throwing things into the exhaust is dangerous, but still safer than throwing live frogs down the intake. Just be sure there is no incriminating videos showing up on YouTube afterwards.

:!: Disclaimer - Do not try this at home; or at work. No animals were harmed. No trees were cut down. No steroids, enhancing, or illegal drugs were used. You didn't see me do it and can't prove a thing! Blah Blah Blah, Yada Yada...

:!: Warning :!: Much of the goofing depicted and/or described on this forum is potentially dangerous. The mechanics here are highly trained and experienced professionals. (Well some are...) Do not attempt to duplicate any procedures that are beyond your own capabilities or training. Always wear the appropriate safety gear and use the applicable technical data.

As always; Keep 'em flyin' (SAFELY!) :thumb:
TEG

PS - Watch out! That expended quart bomb has to come down somewhere!?!

VarkVet

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Apr 2008, 02:41

I started out on A-10’s in 1980. Back then you did see a lot of petroleum in canned form, now everything is in a cart.

My point is … if you tried throwing a can of 7808 into the exhaust of an A-10 you would probably hit the jet. :lmao:

I think Thrust output is only 10K
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Apr 2008, 03:25

Even an A-10 at idle has 100ft/sec exhaust according to Technical Order 00-105E-9 (UNCLASS/Public) "Aerospace Emergency Rescue and Mishap Response Information"

V2- Think you can throw a full quart-can of oil hard enough to pass through that? If so I'll buy! :cheers:

I bet an A-10 at MIL would chuck that can across the field pretty good. :twisted:

But that would be unsafe! (Refer to the disclaimer above.)

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Apr 2008, 11:18

Oops, I forgot the graphic...
Attachments
A-10_Plume.jpg

vitormoura

Unread post08 Nov 2017, 16:17

That_Engine_Guy wrote:Even an A-10 at idle has 100ft/sec exhaust according to Technical Order 00-105E-9 (UNCLASS/Public) "Aerospace Emergency Rescue and Mishap Response Information"

V2- Think you can throw a full quart-can of oil hard enough to pass through that? If so I'll buy! :cheers:

I bet an A-10 at MIL would chuck that can across the field pretty good. :twisted:

But that would be unsafe! (Refer to the disclaimer above.)

Hi, I know this thread is very old. But I love how much technical info we have here! I enjoy your posts a lot. :wink:

I have a similar image showing the exhaust gases of the TF34-GE-100A. But with colors!
Attachments
123.png

35_aoa

Unread post09 Nov 2017, 02:01

I'd submit that with the -220 (never flew -229), when you put the throttle to the MAX stop on takeoff, you could feel each "stage" light off.......it was subtle, but it was like a handful off successive kicks in the pants (think 5 right engine guy?). Like he said, no way at all to know in flight what you have selected based on throttle position, but it was specifically apparent on takeoff going from mil to MAX power.

sociald

Unread post12 Nov 2017, 06:26

35_aoa wrote:I'd submit that with the -220 (never flew -229), when you put the throttle to the MAX stop on takeoff, you could feel each "stage" light off.......it was subtle, but it was like a handful off successive kicks in the pants (think 5 right engine guy?). Like he said, no way at all to know in flight what you have selected based on throttle position, but it was specifically apparent on takeoff going from mil to MAX power.

Same with the 229, but as you said, it's pretty subtle. It's too bad you never experienced the 229, it's a MUCH better motor. I flew an out and back to trade jets one day. Flew out in a centerline C-Model with a 229. I dropped off that jet and picked up a 2-bag, D-Model with a 220...I almost aborted the takeoff because I thought I had a low thrust on takeoff EP.

35_aoa

Unread post12 Nov 2017, 07:38

sociald wrote:
Same with the 229, but as you said, it's pretty subtle. It's too bad you never experienced the 229, it's a MUCH better motor. I flew an out and back to trade jets one day. Flew out in a centerline C-Model with a 229. I dropped off that jet and picked up a 2-bag, D-Model with a 220...I almost aborted the takeoff because I thought I had a low thrust on takeoff EP.

Yeah, wish I could have flown one (or a big mouth GE for that matter). On second thought, contrary to my last comment, now that memories have refreshed in my mind, I'd also submit you could feel the lightoff airborne....maybe not in terms of stages, but you definitely "felt" when the burner lit off.

Back to socialD's response (is that in reference to the band BTW?), imagine if you had dropped off that 229 C for an F/A-18C. You would have aborted before you even saw triple digit airspeed in the HUD. Coming from that background, the -220 felt like a rocket ship on takeoff acceleration (that said, we primarily flew slick A's which were prob a lot quicker than a 220 D).

f-16adf

Unread post12 Nov 2017, 22:58

35_aoa,

Is there a noticeable difference in acceleration between the F/A-18C and the F/A-18A (I am guessing the Charlie Hornet is quicker)? I figured the -402 engines with their thrust upgrade would offset any weight increase the F/A-18C has over the original A model Hornet?

35_aoa

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 00:58

f-16adf wrote:35_aoa,

Is there a noticeable difference in acceleration between the F/A-18C and the F/A-18A (I am guessing the Charlie Hornet is quicker)? I figured the -402 engines with their thrust upgrade would offset any weight increase the F/A-18C has over the original A model Hornet?

C model is heavier, by maybe a couple thousand pounds in most cases (depends on build Lot). I only flew a handful of -402 motor jets, but they were a noticeable improvement over the -400. That being said, a high lot big motor chuck is probably near equivalent to a light -400 motor A. If you took a lot 5-7 A and ran it against a non-402 motor lot 12-14 C, the A would feel a little sportier.
Previous

Return to F-16 Design & Construction