F-16 wings thinness

Always wondered why the F-16 has a tailhook, or how big a bigmouth F-16's mouth really is ? Find it out here !
  • Author

boilermaker

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post02 Jun 2019, 03:01

Patriot wrote:Basically I was always amazed by how thin F-16 wings are yet how strong they're. It still can carry two 2000 punds bombs + AAMs under each wing and perform some maneuvers / attain some g. How does they did it structually? The loads on the mounts have to be huge. Like for example, F-15 does not carry stuff under its wings despite they're visibly thicker.. maybe theyre less stiff? What is the secret behind Viper's wing load capacity?

Each wing has a center of lift. Carrying loads outside the center of lift actually prevents wing overtorquing, whereas loads in the center fuselage will create a heavy upward moment on the wings when in flight causing stress. The moment is reduced/distributed by the externally/tipped carried bombs and missiles. Given the larger chord of the wing toward the center, the first set of bombs near the center are right about dead on the center of lift of each wing. These would be stress neutral in flight, whereas the stores toward the tip compensate for the center weight of the tank and fuselage and fuselage stores.

Patriot

Unread post02 Jun 2019, 14:18

Roger that boiler!

I got some other wing related question.
Why actually the Viper wings are neutral and not anhedral like in most other fighters?

boilermaker

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post03 Jun 2019, 06:05

Patriot wrote:Roger that boiler!

I got some other wing related question.
Why actually the Viper wings are neutral and not anhedral like in most other fighters?

It is a fly by wire aerobatic design so every thing is kept as neutral as possible in terms of control inputs to minimize couplings of pitch with roll or yaw with roll etc would be my guess. Note that like with the Phantom, the tail has anhedral though

The F105 was too stable in yaw and the diehdral made it less so
The F104 had dutch roll issues and in a side or forward slip its tail was basically like a third wing rolling it in the opposite direction. THe anhedral opposed that .
Previous

Return to F-16 Design & Construction