Position of horizontal tail during roll maneuver?

Always wondered why the F-16 has a tailhook, or how big a bigmouth F-16's mouth really is ? Find it out here !
  • Author

saberrider

Unread post31 Dec 2016, 13:42

During multiple horizontal rolls one aileron goes up and another down.My question is:horizontal tail from side with up aileron (dipped wing)is going up or down in subsonic regime (in conjunction or in opposition )to aileron ?Just for corect modeling I'm interested.

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post01 Jan 2017, 23:53

Tail roll command is always the same direction as aileron command at all speeds.

saberrider

Unread post02 Jan 2017, 07:19

johnwill wrote:Tail roll command is always the same direction as aileron command at all speeds.

So trailing edge of the left tail is up when left aileron is up , thank you.

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jan 2017, 15:57

You specified a horizontal roll. I understood that to mean level flight at 1g. If the airplane is at a g or speed condition with significant tail pitch command, the pitch plus roll command to a tail could result in one of the tails at the opposite direction from the aileron in front of it.

saberrider

Unread post02 Jan 2017, 16:34

johnwill wrote:You specified a horizontal roll. I understood that to mean level flight at 1g. If the airplane is at a g or speed condition with significant tail pitch command, the pitch plus roll command to a tail could result in one of the tails at the opposite direction from the aileron in front of it.

Thanks for the answer ,so if tail dig in for some AOA or G coupled with some rolling resulting a barrel roll maneuver, can be misaligned or in opposition some degrees when pulling and rolling depending upon the speed or AoA.But there are symmetrically deployed up and down at 1 G rolling?From my understanding it 's not possible because body lifting is present at 1g inverted.

Return to F-16 Design & Construction