Info for the following part

Always wondered why the F-16 has a tailhook, or how big a bigmouth F-16's mouth really is ? Find it out here !
  • Author

stijnzor

Unread post01 Mar 2020, 11:06

Hi,

Recently I received the following part:

a F-100 PW100 Total pressure probe NSN 6685-01-061-0362
https://www.parttarget.com/6685-01-061- ... 51951.html

And i'm wondering what it does? and where it is mounted in the engine, and is it also used in the PW220 engine?
Is there someone with the answers to all of that :D

Kind regards,
Stijn

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Mar 2020, 04:03

stijnzor wrote:i'm wondering what it does? and where it is mounted in the engine, and is it also used in the PW220 engine?
Is there someone with the answers to all of that :D

It is the "Augmentor Fuel Dump and Probe Assembly"

This part is where the fuel from the augmentor spray manifolds will drain when AB is cancelled. The venturi will pull low pressure at the head of the probe, and drain the fuel from the manifolds when the Augmentor Fuel Control receives the throttle input to kill the augmentor. It also houses the PT6 (Turbine Discharge Pressure) pickup, that feeds PT6 through a tube to a transducer for the engine control system. On the leading edge of the probe should be small holes drilled along the length of the long portion. This allows the PT6 through one passage, while dumped fuel travels another passage up and into the venturi, then out into the augmentor duct to vaporize.

The part is mounted through the aft fan duct, just aft of the low pressure turbine, and ahead of the augmentor spray manifolds. It is visible from the rear of the nozzle at approximately 5 o'clock. (looks like a little periscope peering out the rear of the turbine area)

What you have there is from a PW-100/200 I believe. The 'newest' engine that would have used it, would have been an Israeli PW-220EI/FI. The Israeli PW-220E/F kits were different than anyone else as they kept more of the original PW-100/200 parts to keep the cost of conversion down. So unless you got this from an Israeli action site, it is for the F100-PW-100 or -200.

Keep 'em flyin' :thumb:
TEG
Attachments
AugFuelDump.jpg
Augmentor Fuel Dump and Probe Assembly
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Mar 2020, 04:07

PS - I should add a different style of probe with a completely different look was used on the PW-220 and non-Israeli PW-220E motors. The PW-229 does not have this type of part at all since it's augmentor is a completely new design compared to the previous generations of F100 engines.

TEG
— Richard Collins

stijnzor

Unread post03 Mar 2020, 12:39

That_Engine_Guy wrote:PS - I should add a different style of probe with a completely different look was used on the PW-220 and non-Israeli PW-220E motors. The PW-229 does not have this type of part at all since it's augmentor is a completely new design compared to the previous generations of F100 engines.

TEG

Thanks for the info, I got my part here in Belgium. So i suspect that it is from a Belgian engine.

Here is a picture of my part:

Can i use your info for my website?

Kind regards,
Stijn

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Mar 2020, 21:51

stijnzor wrote:Thanks for the info, I got my part here in Belgium. So i suspect that it is from a Belgian engine.

Can i use your info for my website?

Then your part is almost certainly from an F100-PW-200.

Yes, all public info now...

TEG
— Richard Collins

f119doctor

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post03 Mar 2020, 22:21

TEG is correct on his description of this part as a F100-100/200 PT6 / ASEP probe and its function.

You should note that the US Government has assigned DEMIL Code D to this NSN:

Code D DEMIL required. Destroy items and components to prevent restoration or repair to a usable condition. (Note 5). DEMIL to the level of scrap will ensure the requirements for this code have been met. (See DODI 2030.08 for the definition of scrap.) Property sold with DEMIL as a condition of sale shall not be released without positive controls and the DEMIL witnessed by U.S. Government representatives unless otherwise authorized by the DOD DEMIL Program Manager

I'm not sure what the requirements that Belgium follows, but the USG is probably not happy that this apparently intact part was released without being demilitarized.
P&W FSR (retired) - TF30 / F100 /F119 /F135

optimist

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Mar 2020, 02:21

Belgium has to follow US requirements. As do all nations that uses its stuff.
Aussie fanboy

stijnzor

Unread post04 Mar 2020, 14:24

f119doctor wrote:I'm not sure what the requirements that Belgium follows, but the USG is probably not happy that this apparently intact part was released without being demilitarized.

Belgium has to follow US requirements. As do all nations that uses its stuff.

I'm aware of that but I'm not feeling guilty about it :wink: .
And there is the possibility that it is demilitarized in some way.

Kind regards,
Stijn

Return to F-16 Design & Construction