Why is an F-16 not symmetrical?

Always wondered why the F-16 has a tailhook, or how big a bigmouth F-16's mouth really is ? Find it out here !
  • Author

saberrider

Unread post22 Nov 2018, 19:07

The left and right half of the aircraft are not exactly symmetrical. WHY ?

jaws

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post23 Nov 2018, 17:19

saberrider wrote:The left and right half of the aircraft are not exactly symmetrical. WHY ?

Could you be a little more specific?
"JAWS"

boilermaker

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 09:49

saberrider wrote:The left and right half of the aircraft are not exactly symmetrical. WHY ?

The gun would be the main reason?

magnum4469

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Nov 2018, 16:13

I don't understand what the question is, size or weight??? There is no aircraft that is 100% symmetrical, although very close but no way possible with all systems and components that have to go into an aircraft. To be 100% symmetrical the aircraft would have to be an exact mirror image of itself along the Longitudinal axis. So unless every component that there is only one of in an aircraft is centered on the exact center of the longitudinal axis the aircraft will be asymmetrical.
In the case of the F-16 there are numberious single component systems mounted all over the aircraft, to include, the gun, JFS, ADG, Gen, Stby Gen, and LOX system just to name a few. None of these are mounted on the center line but the engineers place them along with all the other systems to achieve the desired weight and balance to include the symetrical loading.

rocketeer61

Unread post30 Nov 2018, 03:49

Yeah, I wrote the Quora reply that inspired this question. My guess is that in the early 1970s the computer tech did not exist to model perfect mirror images. Darth Vader's helmet wasn't exactly symmetrical until the last 10 years or so, either, for the same reason.

Return to F-16 Design & Construction