F-35B Races Super car

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 868
  • Joined: 10 Feb 2014, 02:46

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 17:43



So Top Gear UK back in it's glory days took what (at that time) was the fastest most powerful super car the Bugatti Veyron and raced it against there shiny new Eurofighter Typhoon. They have decided to do it again with the new Mclaren Speedtail a hybrid super car (made in the UK as well this time) against there shiny new F-35B. Just a preview was released but this might episode might actually be worth watching when it get's released (i haven't watched much Top Gear UK post original Trio of hosts leaving)

Anyways enjoy
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1399
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 19:49

I may be wrong here, but it looks like the race started about 1000' from the 8000' remaining marker which is nearly abeam of the Rwy 24 PAPI lights, with another 300 or 400 feet to go to the approach end arresting gear.

From the off angle shots it looks like he's airborne at the fixed distance marker just short of the PAPI (800 feet of ground roll) and passes the 'Tesla' (?) at about the PAPI (1000' feet from the start). So he's airborne about 500 feet or so short of the arresting gear. :D

Best I was ever able to do in a clean Blk 10 F-16A was airborne in about 1000 to 1100 feet, just short of the approach end BAK-14 (about 1200 to 1300 feet down) at TIK. That was with full internal fuel (I imagine they light loaded the 'Lightening')....but with a helpful OAT of around 15 degrees F.

I'd even wear that helmet that makes you look like "The Fly" to fly that hot rod. :D

(I'd also be willing to take a test drive in that car.)
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2914
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 20:38

Clean AV-8A, half a bag of internal fuel, w/ water injection — 65/65 STO (nozzle rotation to 65 degrees at 65KIAS/74.8 mph) in roughly 2.5 secs from brake release with well less than 200’ of roll.
Offline
User avatar

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 868
  • Joined: 10 Feb 2014, 02:46

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 21:03

They didn't explain the race rules for this race in the preview, the last one was a sprint for the car down the runway then turn around at a set marker than return to the start line. The Typhoon had to take off climb to 5,000ft then dive back down to the start line.

Offline

deltasierracharlie

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 24 Jan 2020, 07:44

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 21:58

geforcerfx wrote:

So Top Gear UK back in it's glory days took what (at that time) was the fastest most powerful super car the Bugatti Veyron and raced it against there shiny new Eurofighter Typhoon. They have decided to do it again with the new Mclaren Speedtail a hybrid super car (made in the UK as well this time) against there shiny new F-35B. Just a preview was released but this might episode might actually be worth watching when it get's released (i haven't watched much Top Gear UK post original Trio of hosts leaving)

Anyways enjoy


Sorry for "sounding" like an annoying grammar nazi but...
*THEIR not there :)

btw, the McLaren Speedtail is ugly af. Not as hideous and deformed as the McLaren Senna, but still, horrendous.
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1399
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 22:06

"No, no, even with that fancy helmet you'll never beat my Prius in that over-hyped LM F-105 clone."
Attachments
f-35 hmds.jpg
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 23940
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post03 Feb 2020, 22:35

:shock: :devil: :twisted: That GRUBBY FLY FOTO looks like a GRIPPING FAN berating the 'olds & suave bolds' on F-16.net :roll: :doh: 8)

Anyway can the car of the QUEEN (visiting RAF Marham 03 Feb 2020) land vertically? Must be bomb/bullet proof eh.
Attachments
QueenVisitsMarham03feb2020.png
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1892
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 15:43

Unread post04 Feb 2020, 00:42

geforcerfx wrote:They didn't explain the race rules for this race in the preview, the last one was a sprint for the car down the runway then turn around at a set marker than return to the start line. The Typhoon had to take off climb to 5,000ft then dive back down to the start line.



It was different rules for the Jet this time - the full episode was aired Yesterday and is on BBC iPlayer if you can get that.


The Mclaren is better looking than that Bugatti was at least.
Offline
User avatar

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 868
  • Joined: 10 Feb 2014, 02:46

Unread post04 Feb 2020, 07:53

basher54321 wrote:
It was different rules for the Jet this time - the full episode was aired Yesterday and is on BBC iPlayer if you can get that.


The Mclaren is better looking than that Bugatti was at least.


Cool, guess I will catch it on BBC america at some point, or by other means :devil:

Yeah i would take the speedtail over the veyron. I did like the veyron though in it's time, kinda the last great hoorah of non hybrid super cars.
Offline

f35phixer

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 160
  • Joined: 13 May 2009, 22:38

Unread post04 Feb 2020, 21:26

Sorry for "sounding" like an annoying grammar nazi but...
*THEIR not there :)

Well you missed a more appalling mistake by Outlaw!!!!!!!
Light·en·ing
A drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.
BUT i also might see what he did there !!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Best I was ever able to do in a clean Blk 10 F-16A was airborne in about 1000 to 1100 feet, just short of the approach end BAK-14 (about 1200 to 1300 feet down) at TIK. That was with full internal fuel (I imagine they light loaded the 'Lightening')....but with a helpful OAT of around 15 degrees F.
Offline

optimist

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1124
  • Joined: 20 Nov 2014, 03:34
  • Location: australia

Unread post04 Feb 2020, 21:36

outlaw162 wrote:"No, no, even with that fancy helmet you'll never beat my Prius in that over-hyped LM F-105 clone."

You get points for this post and picture :D
Aussie fanboy
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1399
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 18:57

It's been three days, Basher, nobody has complained about spoilers....aren't you going to tell us who won?
Offline

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1892
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 15:43

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 21:12

I didn't realise anyone was losing sleep over it :D

I will tell you here if there are no objections.
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1399
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post06 Feb 2020, 22:16

I'm willing to wait a couple more nail-biting sleepless nights. This is like the Academy Awards. I'm rooting for the car.

(The only British show I get on my cable is Midsomer Murders.)
Offline
User avatar

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2414
  • Joined: 02 Mar 2017, 14:29

Unread post07 Feb 2020, 01:31

Please do tell us who was the winner :D
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.
Next

Return to General F-35 Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests