US Marine's First Female F-35B Fighter Pilot Capt. Anneliese

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by femalepilot » 09 Aug 2019, 23:41

U.S. Marine's First Female F-35B Fighter Pilot
https://www.dvidshub.net/news/335210/first-female-f-35b-pilot
U.S. Marine Capt. Anneliese Satz left her legacy on the Marine Corps’ F-35B Program when she became the first female Marine to complete the F-35B Basic Course, June 27.
Flying is nothing new to Satz—prior to joining the Marine Corps she earned her commercial pilots license flying a Robinson R44 Helicopter which she attributes to preparing her for a career in military aviation.
Over the last four years, Satz, 29, has completed Aviation Pre-flight Indoctrination in Pensacola, Florida, Primary Flight Training in Corpus Christi, Texas, where she learned to fly the T-6 Texan II, then to Meridian, Mississippi, where she flew the T-45C Goshawk advanced jet training aircraft. Upon completing her initial trainings, she was assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501, the “Warlords,” to train on her assigned fleet aircraft: the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, the world’s first supersonic STOVL stealth aircraft. It’s designed to operate from austere, short-field bases and a range of air-capable ships operating near front-line combat zones.
“At each of my training schools I did my best,” said Satz, a Boise, Idaho native. “I truly believe that showing up prepared and working diligently are two major keys to success.”
After arriving to MCAS Beaufort in July of 2018, she took her first flight in the F-35B in October that year.
“The first flight in an F-35 is by yourself,” she said. “The syllabus thoroughly prepares you for that first time you take off and for every flight after that, it’s an exhilarating experience.”
During her four years of training, Satz earned over 300 flight hours, spent a significant amount of time practicing in simulators while also studying for written and practical application exams; and although training and learning never stops, she will now be assigned to her first operational unit, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121, the Green Knights in Iwakuni, Japan.
“I’m very grateful for the instructors, the maintainers, and countless others at 501 who lent me their expertise and time while I was going through the syllabus,” Satz said. “This is a phenomenal program made possible by all of their hard work. I am thankful to have had the opportunity to learn from all of them. I am incredibly excited to get to VMFA-121 and look forward to the opportunity to serve in the Fleet Marine Forces.”
Attachments
1000w_q95.jpg
Capt. Anneliese Satz puts on her flight helmet prior to a training flight aboard Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, March 11. Satz graduated the F-35B Lighting II Pilot Training Program June and will be assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 in Iwakuni, Japan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Ashley Phillips)
1000w_q95 (3).jpg
Capt. Anneliese Satz prepares for a training flight aboard Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, March 11. Satz graduated the F-35B Lighting II Pilot Training Program June and will be assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 in Iwakuni, Japan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Ashley Phillips)
1000w_q95 (4).jpg
Capt. Anneliese Satz connects a air hose to her flight suit aboard Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, March 11. Satz graduated the F-35B Lighting II Pilot Training Program June and will be assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 in Iwakuni, Japan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Ashley Phillips)
1000w_q95 (1).jpg
Capt. Anneliese Satz walks to her F-35B to begin flight checks for a training flight aboard Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, March 11. Satz graduated the F-35B Lighting II Pilot Training Program June and will be assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 in Iwakuni, Japan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Ashley Phillips)
1000w_q95 (5).jpg
Capt. Anneliese Satz conducts pre-flight checks prior to a training flight aboard Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, March 11. Satz graduated the F-35B Lighting II Pilot Training Program June and will be assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 in Iwakuni, Japan. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Ashley Phillips)
1000w_q95 (6).jpg
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5653511/first-female-f-35b-pilot
1000w_q95 (7).jpg
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5653512/first-female-f-35b-pilot
1000w_q95 (8).jpg
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5653513/first-female-f-35b-pilot
1000w_q95 (9).jpg
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/5653514/first-female-f-35b-pilot

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Aug 2019, 01:44

Thanks. There is a 'milestone/1sts' sub-section but never mind. I wonder how Capt. Kelsey Casey [a future trainee] is going? [see link below] From the text above it would seem Capt. Anneliese Satz is the first 'nugget' (no other experience other than training) to fly the F-35B. Similarly another earlier 'male nugget' first for USMC F-35B is noted elsewhere.

First Woman Harrier Pilot to Train on F-35B 05 Jul 2019 viewtopic.php?f=57&t=55815

1st F-35B Student Pilot [from USN flight training school] 01 Nov 2015 viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28297

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 10 Aug 2019, 02:35

Kelsey Casey is not the first female Harrier pilot. Esther Julicher (sp?) and Jenna Dolan both flew the Harrier about the 2001ish timeframe. IIRC, Julicher transitioned to the KC-130 when new min/max weight restrictions were imposed on Navy/USMC ejection seat aircraft about that same time frame. Both she and Dolan were in the Harrier training squadron at the time. Dolan later joined a fleet squadron and participated in OIF. I believe there was another female shortly thereafter but I don’t know her name.

Julicher before wings and type assignment — http://news.rice.edu/1995/05/02/rice-nr ... mbat-jets/

Dolan — https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenna_Dolan

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Aug 2019, 03:15

Thanks. Headline writers can mislead unintentionally perhaps. "...only female AV-8B Harrier pilot in the Marine Corps, Casey [then?]...". What are the other USMC female pilots doing these days? Are they flying USMC Harriers? Taken literally the other headline at link does ring true enough however it may also mislead or is that misslead/mzled or I give up. :mrgreen:

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 10 Aug 2019, 03:27

The headline was flat wrong, and by a long shot.

We’ve talked about these ‘firsts’ before. By trumpeting such things, the institution is merely virtue-signaling, and in the process marking her and itself as a target for those w axes to grind.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Aug 2019, 03:47

Yeah 'head line riters' "am I rite or am I rong" : MAX HEADROOM. Whether or not the gender of the authors of these puff pieces is relevant - from my viewpoint - most 'forces origin' stories are puff pieces full of incomprehensible jargon and often not really newsworthy. Don't get me started on the poor English written expression - with lack of spell checker for obvious glaring misspellings & howlers with - I will guess lack of proper editing prior to publication - that is on PR peeps.

Don't get me started on the commercial 'non-armed force' RONGERs - it is just sad because it allows the 'waste of space' non-knowledgeable readers to misunderstand - not comprehend - what military aviation is about. Then there is TOPFUN. Jeepers that movie had a lot to answer for - for good reason - lost in the otherwise tsunami of publicity generated then.

One would have to guess that all this stuff is well-intentioned. Readers may make up their own minds I suppose.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Aug 2019, 21:23

LM PR have picked up the story - the same as the OP above: https://www.f35.com/news/detail/first-f ... -35b-pilot