Basement Dweller Butthurt.

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 02 May 2019, 13:26

(EDITOR’S NOTE: US Air Force F-35A fighters waited two weeks after landing at Al Dhafra air base, in the United Arab Emirates, before they carried out their first combat mission, dropping a single JDAM bomb against a cave – 32 months after reaching their Initial Operational Capabiity.
A two-week wait to hit a target that isn’t going anywhere is a bit of an anti-climax to the first US Air Force air strike using the F-35A, almost 20 years after the aircraft was selected for development.
Absent an explanation, and a rationale, the two-week wait before the air strike – whose result has not been released – suggests that it was unforeseen, which prompts speculation that it may have caused by a maintenance issue.
Sending two aircraft to drop a single bomb isn’t an impressive feat to recount, especially as in the absence of any opposition requiring the aircraft’s claimed “stealth,” any aircraft could have dropped the same bomb at a far lesser cost.
In fact, the Air Force went out of its way to demonstrate that stealth was not needed for the mission by fitting Luneburg reflectors to each wing, and by carrying Sidewinder missiles on the outboard weapon stations, which multiply their radar cross-section and thus make the aircraft very visible on radar.)

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... -cave.html
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 02 May 2019, 15:51

Is anyone surprised that he took May 1st off?
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

by viper12 » 02 May 2019, 18:00

Giovanni de Briganti as editor. 'Nuff said.
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 02 May 2019, 19:32

viper12 wrote:Giovanni de Briganti as editor. 'Nuff said.

Yep. One who is dead set on finding problems will usually find some — often, in spite of the reality.

by citanon » 02 May 2019, 20:17

That's almost as stupid as this one:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... martin/amp

Or is it more stupid? I can't tell.

by viper12 » 02 May 2019, 21:27

Is it me or the Express' article tries to complete a bingo card of falsehoods ? I think they got an average of at least one falsehood/misleading statement per sentence...
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

by juretrn » 02 May 2019, 21:43

They literally went to this question
https://www.quora.com/Is-an-F-22-Raptor ... n-the-F-35
and took the top three answers. That's it. Quality reporting!
Russia stronk

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 02 May 2019, 22:08

This is golden

At Red Flag the F-22 has a roughly 100:1 kill ratio against F-16s, while the F-35 so far has about 20:1 against F-16 opponents. This suggests a big superiority for air-to-air combat for the F-22, which is what you would expect.

Someone should let them know that the 100:1 is across multiple exercises and the 20:1 is just a single one.

But hey, the maths is hard....

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 02 May 2019, 22:28

It is quite sad that in the internet age with more data at everyone's disposal the quality of professional journalism had actually gone down significantly. Perhaps they lack the intelligence to filter the signal from all the noise out there.

by krieger22 » 07 May 2019, 04:32

marsavian wrote:It is quite sad that in the internet age with more data at everyone's disposal the quality of professional journalism had actually gone down significantly. Perhaps they lack the intelligence to filter the signal from all the noise out there.

The people running the financial side of newsrooms don't want to spend on hiring people who know what they're talking about, and those who do know what they're talking about tend to get headhunted by organizations other than news sites.

Or it's there, but it's paywalled. All the Wall Street Journal articles about the latest revelations regarding the 737 MAX are all paywalled. A dumpster fire of an IEEE Spectrum article on it? Free access! Guess what people are going to read.

viper12 wrote:Is it me or the Express' article tries to complete a bingo card of falsehoods ? I think they got an average of at least one falsehood/misleading statement per sentence...

It's not called the Daily Sexpress for nothing. The British tabloid press is to be trusted under literally no circumstances.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 May 2019, 05:03

"...It's not called the Daily Sexpress for nothing. The British tabloid press is to be trusted under literally no circumstances."
It is truly awful. Sadly the formerly Oz Newstrash Typoon MurderDoc has a lot to answer for the wrapper rubbish <sigh>.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 07 May 2019, 13:35

Flight Data Recorder from Japan's Crashed F-35A Retrieved, But Key Data Still Missing (excerpt)

The Defense Ministry has retrieved part of the flight data recorder from a F-35A stealth fighter that went missing last month, but it was heavily damaged and did not include a storage device to record speed and altitude data, Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya told reporters Tuesday.

(EDITOR’S NOTE: This article mentions, just in passing, that the F-35’s flight recorder “did not include a storage device to record speed and altitude data,” a stunning omission on an aircraft that has been hailed for 20 years as the most sophisticated fighter ever built.
Conveniently for its backers, this means that the causes of the unexplained incident will probably never be ascertained, and therefore will not further degrade the aircraft’s reputation.)

Of course it's Giovanni de Briganti.
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 07 May 2019, 16:42

lol.. like "speed and altitude" would tell it "why" it crashed as opposed to the speed it was going when it crashed... :doh:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 May 2019, 19:22

Thanks 'sferrin' "part of" indeed. :devil: When will Briganti discover his loose screws? Under the nearest lamppost I guess. :doh:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 07 May 2019, 19:52

Is it just me or did the original news post say that it was the recording media that was not found and not that the data was not recorded. But hey, I'm just the kind of guy that wants to get down to the facts of the case rather than just reading headline :roll:

Next