Basement Dweller Butthurt.

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 31 May 2019, 16:04

krieger22 wrote:The Canadian-Swedish Joint Cope Project

Ye Gods. Who's this, "Erik Elmgren" imbecile?
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 31 May 2019, 16:33

Once again proving that denial ain't just a river in Egypt :doh:
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by magitsu » 31 May 2019, 19:27

Just another Swede brought up with a generous helping of Saab kool aid. Bio says that he's sailing, currently in the Caribbean.

His father(?) Bosse Elmgren (over 85 years old anyway) seems to have been a newspaper editor, social democrat, and once served as Sweden's ombudsman (body of complaint which protects individuals against abuses of power). http://nordics.info/show/artikel/preview-ombudsman-1/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 03 Jun 2019, 14:17

(EDITOR’S NOTE: Interesting to see that, 19 years into its development program and 13 years after its first flight, the F-35 is still unable – or unwilling – to fly through bad weather.
These aircraft, which left Hill AFB on Wednesday, spent two nights (Wednesday and Thursday) at Burlington Airport, in Vermont, although the Associated Press reported, “The airport expects the jets to remain in Burlington for a day.”
They finally took off from Burlington on Friday morning, May 31, on their way to Switzerland, but they only arrived at Payerne air base at dusk on Saturday night – over 30 hours later.
In other words, they disappeared from the public eye for 24 hours.
Did they stop somewhere? Why?
The four F-35s are to be evaluated in Payerne by the Swiss Air Force as candidates for its Air 2030 next-generation fighter competition.)

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... rland.html
"There I was. . ."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 03 Jun 2019, 16:57

sferrin wrote:(EDITOR’S NOTE: Interesting to see that, 19 years into its development program and 13 years after its first flight, the F-35 is still unable – or unwilling – to fly through bad weather.
...)

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... rland.html

I sometimes would like to tie some of these "editors" to a stake in Oklahoma this month and see if they are unable ... or is it unwilling ... to face the driving rains of floods, tornados, just good old midwest thunderstorms ...

I recall many times I was "able" to challenge the weather, in what turned out to be idiotic foolish efforts. Some I had no choice, others were just plain poor judgement for which I probably should have been grounded. I took a T-38 "above FL 400" to get over a building thunderstorm, flew out of Texas in storms from hell and dragged 4 F-4's through a wall of hell in the Pacific ... etc. etc.

I was technically "able." The T-38 climbed like a bat out of hell, (still slower than a thunderstorm though). The old 707 airframe was overbuilt like a brick sh... F-4s were bricks :D

However even those flying hurricane hunters are often "unwilling" to test mother nature. That's esecially true of simple peace time deployments. Take a day at the O Club bar, take in a movie ... try again tomorrow. Mother Nature is NOT to be fooled with.

FWIW
BP

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 03 Jun 2019, 17:05

X2

I’m having a Pavlovian reaction as I recall same... (the ‘challenging the wx’ part with or without better judgment)

It’s not good to mess w Mother Nature. :wink:

Wasn’t it Scott Crossfield who morted in a t-storm down south somewhere?
Last edited by quicksilver on 03 Jun 2019, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 03 Jun 2019, 17:10

It was an issue with the tanker not wanting to fly in bad weather (or was just not available), not the F-35.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 03 Jun 2019, 17:14

SpudmanWP wrote:It was an issue with the tanker not wanting to fly in bad weather (or was just not available), not the F-35.

My guess is it was about wx divert requirements for the translant; the ‘rules’ are typically conservative and there is no/little latitude to waiver from the requirements specified in the instruction.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 03 Jun 2019, 18:16

...tie some of these "editors" to a stake in Oklahoma this month...

In one respect, the Okie Wx is a good thing. It tends to discourage relocation to OK. Very little unwelcome 'overcrowding' here. And a natural population leveler (offset by teen pregnancy rate to some extent).

Just about the time of year to reposition the 'stake' to the Gulf Coast. :shock:

Compliments, good post.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by kimjongnumbaun » 03 Jun 2019, 18:30

In regards to weather, as my IP said, just because it’s legal doesn’t mean it’s smart.

by viper12 » 03 Jun 2019, 21:33

Oh my. What is Briganti smoking ?

And yes, Scott Crossfield died because of thunderstorms : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Sc ... ield#Death
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 10 Jun 2019, 15:55

(EDITOR’S NOTE: So the pilot of what is claimed to be the most advanced combat aircraft in the world crashes into the sea because of “spatial disorientation,” but it “doesn’t count as pilot error” and there also was “no problem with the aircraft.”
Yet it crashed, killing its pilot, Maj. Akinori Hosomi, 41.
It is now for the manufacturer to explain how an aircraft claimed to have the world’s most advanced situation awareness capabilities could disorient its pilot – a veteran pilot of jet fighters, with over 3,200 flight hours, about 60 of them on the F-35 – to the point of diving into the water at “683 mph.”
The JASDF doesn’t explain how it determined the impact speed since the flight data recorder it recovered “was heavily damaged and the storage medium was missing.”.)

$5 says he never read the English translation of the report or even bothers to ready an analysis of the report.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 11 Jun 2019, 18:43

SpudmanWP wrote:Once again proving that denial ain't just a river in Egypt :doh:

"F-35, a good light bomber...".

Do these guys know about its 15-1 or 20-1 kill ratios at Red Flag? Or do you think they just dismiss such things? The 2019 demo is a great start, but I fear the general public is going to need more to change their opinion.

Unfortunately, Congressmen can sometimes be included among those who think like this...

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 11 Jun 2019, 20:11

mixelflick wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:Once again proving that denial ain't just a river in Egypt :doh:

Or do you think they just dismiss such things?

Yes, that's exactly what I think :wink:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Jun 2019, 02:09

Does Turkey really want the F-35 fighter jets?
12 Jun 2019 Nedret Ersanel

“The F-35 fighter jets are not as strategic as the S-400s. Their performance in aerial operations is 60 percent, their rate of meeting the performance expected of them for all tasks is 27 percent. Also, they are under U.S. control and can easily be manipulated. Furthermore, these aircraft are very expensive. Their maintenance and operation are quite difficult. Their useful load, bomb-missile carry capacity is inadequate. We met with the air forces personnel as well. I also think they are bulky aircraft. F-35 will not add anything to Turkey, but it is extremely important for the U.S.” [“Hakurk ile Kandil bağı kesilecek” (Hakurk’s Qandil ties will be severed), June 10, Hürriyet.]

"Former General Staff Chief of Intelligence and retired Lt. Gen. İsmail Hakkı Pekin’s “bolded” words require extra attention.... [can oath]

Source: https://www.yenisafak.com/en/columns/ne ... ts-2047065

PreviousNext