F-35 Flight Simulator with Lockheed Martin [FLY EXPLAINED]

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 22 Apr 2019, 23:00

marsavian wrote:So if a flight of F-35s pick you up on DAS/RWR in any direction, they will range you and then dissect you like surgeons, very impressive like a school of intelligent dolphins in a hunting pack.

I think a Marine GO in recent years said, “...like velociraptors in Jurassic Park.”

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 22 Apr 2019, 23:29

I think the quote is from USMC Lt.Gen. 'Dog' Davis (for aviation). I'll find it later.... [two 'finders' below here]
Last edited by spazsinbad on 23 Apr 2019, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 22 Apr 2019, 23:40

I have it handy.

The Marine Corps recently put the F-35B Lightning II through its paces in a highly-contested airspace combat scenario. The result? The joint strike fighters were able to destroy all 24 enemy targets without taking any losses. “It was like 'Jurassic Park,' watching a velociraptor,” Davis said. “It kills everything. It does really well.” Speaking before the House Armed Services subcommittee on readiness Wednesday, Davis said that fourth-generation aircraft like the F/A-18 Hornet and EA-6B Prowler would get shot down by their pseudo aggressors when running similar training scenarios. “We just ran a normal scenario we would have with our legacy aircraft," he said. "Generally about half to a third of the airplanes don’t make it through.” But the advanced stealth and electronic warfare capabilities of the F-35 are impressing military leaders with their high mission success rates and advanced capabilities, said Davis, the Corps’ deputy commandant for aviation. “We’re very excited about the airplane," he said. "What we’re seeing right now in the F-35 is exceptional capability. We can’t get that airplane fast enough into the fleet.”..."
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 22 Apr 2019, 23:51

:applause: Thanks 'shrdluscotsperson' :mrgreen: just for the record...
Clever girl: 3-star general compares F-35 to 'Jurassic Park' velociraptor
06 Jul 2016 Phillip Swarts

"Saying an advanced military aircraft is like a dinosaur usually isn’t a good thing, but Marine Lt. Gen. Jon Davis meant it as the highest compliment. The Marine Corps recently put the F-35B Lightning II through its paces in a highly contested airspace combat scenario. The result? The joint strike fighters were able to destroy all 24 enemy targets without taking any losses.

"It was like 'Jurassic Park,' watching a velociraptor," Davis said. "It kills everything. It does really well."

Marine Lt. Gen. Jon Davis compared the F-35 joint strike fighter to this dinosaur in the "Jurassic Park" movies, adding that it "kills everything."..."

Source: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ociraptor/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 23 Apr 2019, 11:31

I think they should have one simulator with advanced 4th generation fighter systems and capabilities and make some people fly both that and F-35 simulator in identical high-threat scenarios. It might open some eyes about the capabilties of the F-35.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 23 Apr 2019, 14:00

Have a Blk III Hornet vs F-35C and an F-15EX vs F-35A experience? The F-35B is safe because it eclipses the Harrier in every way possible outside of VIFF.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Apr 2019, 14:07

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Have a Blk III Hornet vs F-35C and an F-15EX vs F-35A experience? The F-35B is safe because it eclipses the Harrier in every way possible outside of VIFF.

Have not 'we' decided that Harrier VIFF is way over rated? The so-called maneuver would only puzzle a NOVICE opponent.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 23 Apr 2019, 15:00

I didn't say VIFF was all that useful (I think qs mentioned using it once), but that it is the ONLY thing a Harrier can do that an F-35B can't do much better, because it can't do it at all.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Apr 2019, 15:58

OK then. How about 'apparently' an F-35B cannot genuflect to the airshow crowd like a Harrier (don't know if this is true).

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 23 Apr 2019, 16:04

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Have a Blk III Hornet vs F-35C and an F-15EX vs F-35A experience? The F-35B is safe because it eclipses the Harrier in every way possible outside of VIFF.

I would almost be willing to "bet a testicle" that the experience of a Blk III Hornet vs F-35C or an F-15EX vs F-35A would have the same end result as the experience of Harrier vs F-35B. :wink:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 23 Apr 2019, 16:05

Hahahha, Okay Spaz, I suppose that due to the nature of their respective rotational controls when in hover (puff ports vs actuated nozzles and roll posts) as well as the F-35B Mode 4 FBW logic there are a few non operational things a Harrier can still do that a Killer Bee can't
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

by castlebravo » 23 Apr 2019, 21:06

marsavian wrote:So if a flight of F-35s pick you up on DAS/RWR in any direction, they will range you and then dissect you like surgeons, very impressive like a school of intelligent dolphins in a hunting pack.

Not just RWR, but any radio/datalink emissions as well. Tracking airborne (moving?) targets may be less accurate since it depends on the angular resolution of your ESM/RWR sensors (which should still be pretty great for sensor like the APG-81), but TDOA can be used against stationary ground emitters, and since time resolution of well synced (GPS?) receivers is going to be measured in nanoseconds, the accuracy is very, VERY good; good enough to put warheads on foreheads from quite a distance. This capability likely extends all the way down to precision targeting of things like cell phones and R/C controllers for quadcopters or other small drones. Hell, I bet a flight of F-35's could geolocate a friendly soldier on the ground via their radio transmission more accurately than the GPS reciever in the soldier's hand.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 23 Apr 2019, 22:01

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Hahahha, Okay Spaz, I suppose that due to the nature of their respective rotational controls when in hover (puff ports vs actuated nozzles and roll posts) as well as the F-35B Mode 4 FBW logic there are a few non operational things a Harrier can still do that a Killer Bee can't

AW Shucks! :doh: Graphic amalgamated from: F-35 Propulsion System Integration, Development & Verification
Attachments
F-35 STOVL MODES 1-6 PRN.pdf
(342.42 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
F-35 STOVL MODES 1-6 TIF.jpg

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 24 Apr 2019, 01:34

spazsinbad wrote:OK then. How about 'apparently' an F-35B cannot genuflect to the airshow crowd like a Harrier (don't know if this is true).

That is correct; it cannot.

Harrier TPod (Litening V4) is better than current EOTS. Harrier also has an exceptionally good targeting and weapons delivery system that the pod feeds into. Exceptionally good...

PreviousNext