Reports of F-35B Crash/Pilot Ejection MCAS Beaufort

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by mor10 » 11 Oct 2018, 16:20

Back in my F-16 days we had to check each plane for specific serial numbers, if a TCTO came out saying parts with certain serial numbers had to be replaced. I am assuming they now can tell from ALIS what plane has what serial numbers installed. If they have found a substandard batch, it should be easy to limit the grounding, but since they have to inspect every aircraft they must still be working to identify if a certain production batch is to blame.
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 11 Oct 2018, 16:54

SpudmanWP wrote:Plenty of Hornets (both Classic and Super) have crashed when only one engine failed.

The myth of 2 being statistically better than one has been debunked a long time ago.

Well it is Maus we're talking about you know.
"There I was. . ."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by krorvik » 11 Oct 2018, 17:34

maus92 wrote:To be expected from time to time - when you have one engine.

Actually, the more engines you have, the greater the risk of hitting a bad part ;)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 11 Oct 2018, 17:36

Err, you mean like this:
https://thenewsrep.com/100850/us-navy-s ... -happened/
https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... -says.html

:roll:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 11 Oct 2018, 17:40

ricnunes wrote:

Err, you mean like this:
https://thenewsrep.com/100850/us-navy-s ... -happened/
https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... -says.html

:roll:

I don't expect @maus92 to come up with an answer; he prefers hit and run tactics these days - say something dumb and instigating then disappear for the next 6 months.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 11 Oct 2018, 17:50

hythelday wrote:I don't expect @maus92 to come up with an answer; he prefers hit and run tactics these days - say something dumb and instigating then disappear for the next 6 months.

Yeah I know.
Actually when I post these responses to Maus, I probably have more in mind any newer or new members who may join us here at F-16.net and read these particular threads/posts rather than Maus himself (due to the reason that you correctly mentioned).
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by krorvik » 11 Oct 2018, 18:08

ricnunes wrote:Actually when I post these responses to Maus, I probably have more in mind any newer or new members who may join us here at F-16.net and read these particular threads/posts rather than Maus himself (due to the reason that you correctly mentioned).

Precisely :) Simple, to the counterpoint answers.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 11 Oct 2018, 19:23

Hmmm, the Brits continue with flights: https://mobile.twitter.com/DefenceHQ/st ... 0293050368

But the Israelis grounded their fleet: https://mobile.twitter.com/IDFSpokesper ... 9769836546

Here's some tin foil thoughts - Israelis are deliberately misleading the public to trick S-300 crews into dropping their guard :D
In reality however, this is most likely due to the fact that operators know which jets contain faulty part, so the Brits paused flights of said fighters, while the Israel is likely playing it safe and double-checking evry jet.

Also, I find it impressive that they managed to narrow it down so precisely - I suppose such fragile part as fuel line must have been surely destroyed in the crash/fire? Meaning they must have uncovered the cause due to ALIS, not pilot report or crash "forensic examination"?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 11 Oct 2018, 21:16

krorvik wrote:
ricnunes wrote:Actually when I post these responses to Maus, I probably have more in mind any newer or new members who may join us here at F-16.net and read these particular threads/posts rather than Maus himself (due to the reason that you correctly mentioned).

Precisely :) Simple, to the counterpoint answers.

Exactly :)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Oct 2018, 21:21

Bit about F-35B QE Trials continuing from this article have been posted earlier here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15969&p=403553&hilit=McLeary#p403553

F-35 Flights Suspended While F135 Fuel Tubes Checked; UK F-35Bs Keep Flying on HMS QE
11 Oct 2018 Colin Clark and Paul McLeary

"WASHINGTON: It may not last long, but the entire F-35 fleet — all versions from all countries — was just grounded “while the enterprise conducts a fleet-wide inspection of a fuel tube within the engine on all F-35 aircraft.”...

...“If suspect fuel tubes are installed, the part will be removed and replaced,” the JPO statement says. “If known good fuel tubes are already installed, then those aircraft will be returned to flight status. Inspections are expected to be completed within the next 24 to 48 hours.”

So the grounding may only last a few days if officials are confident the fixes address the cause of the Beaufort crash. (Pentagon officials will bridle at the use of the term “grounded,” which in strict military usage means the planes are not allowed to fly until further notice, while this is temporary)…. [so why use that term?]

...Here’s the Joint Program Office statement in full:

F-35 Fuel Tube Inspection and Flight Operations
The U.S. Services and international partners have temporarily suspended F-35 flight operations while the enterprise conducts a fleet-wide inspection of a fuel tube within the engine on all F-35 aircraft. If suspect fuel tubes are installed, the part will be removed and replaced. If known good fuel tubes are already installed, then those aircraft will be returned to flight status. Inspections are expected to be completed within the next 24 to 48 hours.

The action to perform the inspection is driven from initial data from the ongoing investigation of the F-35B that crashed in the vicinity of Beaufort, South Carolina on 28 September. The aircraft mishap board is continuing its work and the U.S. Marine Corps will provide additional information when it becomes available.

The primary goal following any mishap is the prevention of future incidents. We will take every measure to ensure safe operations while we deliver, sustain and modernize the F-35 for the warfighter and our defense partners."

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2018/10/f-3 ... on-hms-qe/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Oct 2018, 21:31

More about ADIR:
Worldwide F-35 fleet grounded temporarily for inspections related to crash
11 Oct 2018 Garrett Reim

"...For its part, the Israeli Air Force which operates a proprietary version of the aircraft, the F-35I, says it is also testing its fighters. “The Commander of the IAF, Maj Gen Amikam Norkin, decided to take additional precautions and conduct tests on all F-35I aircraft, despite the accident having occurred in a model not used by the IAF and although no malfunctions have been found in IAF aircraft. The testing will take several days and once completed the planes will return to full operations. In the meanwhile, if the F-35I are required for operational action, the F-35I aircraft are ready and prepared.”"

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ec-452617/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Oct 2018, 00:13

This is news (or I have not seen it before now)…. otherwise usual blather about grounding / inspection etc.
All US F-35s grounded worldwide
11 Oct 2018 Tara Copp and Shawn Snow

"...In April, a Marine Corps F-35B out the Marine Corps air station at Cherry Point, North Carolina, was forced to make an emergency landing when the aircraft fuel light came on...."

Source: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... all-f-35s/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by kimjongnumbaun » 12 Oct 2018, 04:45

I fail to see how two engines would be relevant. It was a fuel issue. In case you weren't aware, both engines require fuel in a twin engine fighter. Both engines would have failed in this case.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by krorvik » 12 Oct 2018, 08:21

kimjongnumbaun wrote:I fail to see how two engines would be relevant. It was a fuel issue. In case you weren't aware, both engines require fuel in a twin engine fighter. Both engines would have failed in this case.

Not necessarily - it depends how close to the engine the fault was. If it was in a common fuel line, you're right of course.

by gtg947h » 12 Oct 2018, 08:42

lamoey wrote:Back in my F-16 days we had to check each plane for specific serial numbers, if a TCTO came out saying parts with certain serial numbers had to be replaced. I am assuming they now can tell from ALIS what plane has what serial numbers installed. If they have found a substandard batch, it should be easy to limit the grounding, but since they have to inspect every aircraft they must still be working to identify if a certain production batch is to blame.

I doubt that fuel lines are serialized parts...

PreviousNext