F-35B Cost Benefit Analysis over AV-8B & F/A-18

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

lrrpf52

Unread post16 May 2018, 17:32

spazsinbad wrote:Did not mean to be rude - just direct. Yes this is a large forum with a zillion posts about the F-35 and you have probably not read it all. My interest started at joining date seen under my ICON. Before that I had no interest because CRABS. Then realized that F-35Bs may one day be onboard our RAN LHDs - even if they are not our own and just cross decking. So there was a bit of catching up to do here. While probably I've not read every post before the date mentioned I've come across relevant ones during 'searching/cross checking' various words/terms over the years. All posts since that time I've read and I do not claim to remember them all however SEARCH is a great function on this forum. I COULD search out various terms such as SAFETY but having been a pilot myself long long ago in the fixed wing jet era of the Royal Australian Navy Fleet Air Arm flying Vampires, Sea Venoms (but on last legs & not onboard HMAS Melbourne), Macchi MB326Hs and the A4G Skyhawk, my interest has been mainly in NavAv; because I have no experience flying jets with HUDs - Air to Air Radars - Guided Munitions - Gyro Gunsights (the Venoms had gunsights removed whilst I missed out flying Macchis with Gyro Gunsights which were being installed just as I left flying with RAN FAA mid 1974 - getting out mid 1975 from a desk job).

I hope I can explain any questions you may have about Naval Aviation and all the good stuff exhibited by the F-35B/C models in that regard. NavAv really interests me and probably I can hear the groans already - if you follow the URLs at the bottom of this post you will see more than enough about this interest of mine. Safety is a big concern for the program with obvious evidence that the program has done well - despite critics wanting the F-35 to do more (I'm guessing that these nonces want to see more accidents etc.).

There is at least one pilot post where he describes seeing all the traffic when returning to base (I think from first flight) with him not needing Air Traffic Control to give 'traffic'. As mentioned: seeing the horizon at night at sea is TERRIFIC!

Yea, I saw that you flew A-4Gs with Royal Australian Navy, and recognize the wealth of information here from BTDT pilots, maintainers, engineers, etc. I've lurked here for years, starting with F-16 info searches that ended up here, and recognized the quality of the information over other sites and sources. My dad worked on F-16C Block 30 avionics out at Edwards AFB at the IFAST building in the late 1980s, as well as other Combined Test Force programs there dating back to the 1970s through 2007.

My grandpa worked for Douglas making the titanium tailhooks and refueling probes for the A-4 and A-3 down in Hawthorne, CA in the 1960s. He used to tell me about how they selected more experienced foremen to supervise anything dealing with Ti because it was so expensive. What a great little plane the A-4 was though, solid wing, robust, maneuverable as all get-out, hard to see, and could carry an impressive payload for its size.

The thing with the AFTI F-16 was that I watched very closely its different evolutions and the various test programs they did with it, thinking that the things they were tackling bordered on everything from the practical to fairly ambitious.

To see them actually end up in the F-16 and the F-35 over the course of my life is quite satisfying really, as I never made the connection until looking more closely at the F-35. I started out as an F-35 skeptic, but needing more info before forming an opinion. The more I see, the more I'm amazed really.

juretrn

Unread post16 May 2018, 18:41

A good reason ( one of) why there F-35 is as safe as it is: there's a great video report on the B version where they stuck the reporter into a sim and he was able to land on his own- vertically- in about 10 minutes of coaching. Basically flies itself.
Russia stronk

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post16 May 2018, 19:06

Is that the fourth video in the list of FOUR on previous page? Replicated below.

RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

juretrn

Unread post16 May 2018, 20:51

:oops:
Last edited by juretrn on 17 May 2018, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Russia stronk

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post16 May 2018, 23:12

lrrpf52 wrote:The thing with the AFTI F-16 was that I watched very closely its different evolutions and the various test programs they did with it, thinking that the things they were tackling bordered on everything from the practical to fairly ambitious.

To see them actually end up in the F-16 and the F-35 over the course of my life is quite satisfying really, as I never made the connection until looking more closely at the F-35. I started out as an F-35 skeptic, but needing more info before forming an opinion. The more I see, the more I'm amazed really.

Significant things you did not mention from AFTI that went into F-35 are the electro-hydraulic flight control surface actuators and control laws specifically shaped to limit structural loads. Structures team analyzed the early AFTI test results, where loads did exceed limit a few times, and derived new control laws to prevent it. F-35 uses similar technology.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post17 May 2018, 01:23

Well that video was fun.... Can you post the YOUTUBE video URL please? That may help problem solve from here.
Attachments
VIDEOerrorMsg.gif
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum