Kadena F-35A loses panel in flight

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 04 Dec 2017, 18:34

Any chance they removed it before the flight? What if they had issues with it on the ground and just removed it before the flight to avoid it coming off. They only have so many aircraft in Kedena and are on a pretty tight schedule from what I have read. Not like they are worried about stealth they got the luny lenses on.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 04 Dec 2017, 18:53

I don't think so as one of the two hinges is extended into the air-stream. The other was likely ripped off.

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 04 Dec 2017, 20:26

Yeah didn't catch the hinge, guess we will wait and see who is in trouble.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 05 Dec 2017, 03:21

geforcerfx wrote:Any chance they removed it before the flight?

Zero, zip, not a chance in hell.

newb on previous page nailed most likely cause (below), but there remain some potentially unforeseen aero effects at work (as someone else also pointed out) --

"My guess is the aircraft had a morning mission, stopped by the fuel pit and then took off again.

If that's the case there may be someone from the fuel pit in hot water for not securing the panel correctly or verifying that it was secure. I bet there was a pissed off airframer as well..."

by linkomart » 05 Dec 2017, 09:21

tomcattech wrote:
That's why you have the panel prop and only the sides have standard panel screws.
(Push button fasteners on the bottom)

Are you sure? It looks like all the locks are the same, and from the video the maintainer uses a (hex driver?) to open the hatches.
If I were the designer, I would have used all finger latches or tool operated latches, it is not a good idea to mix them.
Since I work at the competing company, you probably would expect me to giggle about crappy design or cry death spiral or something like that but guess what? It's not a big deal IMHO.
Don't get me wrong, if the maintainers say that the panel causes issues then Lockheed needs to address it, and even if the job sounds simple enough (Make sure that the panel doesn't rip off in flight) there are a ton of other requirements that often contradict each others. (It shall be easy and fast to open, stealthy, strong, light, cheap, maintenance free, right color, non toxic and a thousand other things)

My 5 cent.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 05 Dec 2017, 15:48

F-35 loses aircraft panel during training flight near Okinawa
05 Dec 2017 Valerie Insinna

"WASHINGTON — A U.S. Air Force F-35 deployed to Kadena Air Base in Japan lost a panel during a Nov. 30 training flight over the Pacific Ocean, the service confirmed Monday.

An aircraft panel measuring approximately 12 inches by 24 inches dropped from an F-35A sometime during a “routine training mission” about 65 miles east of Okinawa, according to a news release from 18th Wing Public Affairs at Kadena Air Base.

“The item was discovered missing by the pilot’s wingman as the fighter jets were coming in for landing” and was later confirmed missing after a post-flight inspection, the release stated. Because inspections are also done prior to takeoff, it is thought that the panel fell off sometime during the flight.

Although the Air Force had not commented on or confirmed the mishap prior to Monday, the Japanese media has been aware of the incident since it occurred on Nov. 30. Nippon News Network featured footage of the F-35A showing the missing panel, which was then shared by aviation enthusiasts across Twitter.

It was not clear whether any attempt will be made to recover the missing panel, or whether the loss of part of the F-35’s structure causes any concerns from a safety or technology security standpoint...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017/12 ... r-okinawa/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 06 Dec 2017, 03:30

So unless that panel floats security concern not an issue.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by grab6303 » 08 Dec 2017, 19:32

linkomart wrote:
tomcattech wrote:
That's why you have the panel prop and only the sides have standard panel screws.
(Push button fasteners on the bottom)

Are you sure? It looks like all the locks are the same, and from the video the maintainer uses a (hex driver?) to open the hatches.
If I were the designer, I would have used all finger latches or tool operated latches, it is not a good idea to mix them.
Since I work at the competing company, you probably would expect me to giggle about crappy design or cry death spiral or something like that but guess what? It's not a big deal IMHO.
Don't get me wrong, if the maintainers say that the panel causes issues then Lockheed needs to address it, and even if the job sounds simple enough (Make sure that the panel doesn't rip off in flight) there are a ton of other requirements that often contradict each others. (It shall be easy and fast to open, stealthy, strong, light, cheap, maintenance free, right color, non toxic and a thousand other things)

My 5 cent.

Same latch all the way around (hex head, spring loaded). We have presented many ideas to the lead contractor in the past for a better latch. Hopefully they'll now take them into more serious consideration :).

I would love to go to traditional thumb latches but they are not optimal due to their propensity to migrate to other than flush with the surface when closed (see every F-16 flipper door). Not flush is not optimal for stealth (obviously). That being said I'm sure there is a way to do a reliable, flush thumb style latch and it would be most welcome. The easiest fix would be to transition to the latches used on the ladder door. They are interconnected and much more secure. Grab
523 FS 97-00, 35 FS 00-01, 14 FS 02-04, USAFADS 04-08, F-35A/B DT 08-10, 58 AMU 10-14,
34 AMU 14-16, HAF A4 16-Present

Previous