Saudi Arabia now seeking to purchase F-35s

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

kimjongnumbaun

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 21:50

"The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also seeking to procure the F-35 jets, and talks are making an important progress, as stated by officials who refused to be named."

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... ring-plan/

sunstersun

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 21:58

ugh. No thanks to UAE or Saudis, at least not until 6th generation air superiority fighter comes online.

ricnunes

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 22:33

kimjongnumbaun wrote:"The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is also seeking to procure the F-35 jets, and talks are making an important progress, as stated by officials who refused to be named."

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... ring-plan/

LOL and what about those "super-duper" Eurofighter Typhoons that the Saudies recently bought? I guess that this in itself tells us everything about all these Euro-canard-trash fighter aircraft and their "quality" compared the F-35! I wonder what the basement dwellers Eurocanard fans have to say about this?? :roll:

zerion

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 22:46

Posted here earlier cuz there's a thread for that :D
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27006&p=380897&hilit=Saudi#p380897

mas

Unread post13 Nov 2017, 22:59

Saudi Arabia bought AESA F15Es later than it bought its current Eurofighters. It will not buy any more Typhoons until they have AESA radar installed as standard or their current ones retrofitted which is still years away. They are also waiting for Meteor and Storm Shadow missiles for their current EF fleet. The fact that the US and Israel might allow these F-35 sales to SA and UAE shows how seriously they are taking the Iran threat who Russia have enabled in Syria.

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 01:18

....the "Gulf" doobers are in for an upset when they finally realize the Shias have to join the Ruskies to fend-off the Sunnis and that will only settle out as the invisible Litenen!
:D

tincansailor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 04:05

I don't think any Arab nation is going to be getting F-35s for quite sometime. Things seem to heating up in ME pretty fast. Weapons sales are flying faster then we've ever seen. we see an Iran led coalition of Yemen, Qatar, Lebanon, Syria, and the Iraq central government, backed by Russia, vs. a Saudi led coalition of Egypt, UAE, Jordan, and Israel, backed by the United States. Add to the mix the Turks, and the Kurds, so what could possible go wrong?

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 05:40

tincansailor wrote:I don't think any Arab nation is going to be getting F-35s for quite sometime. Things seem to heating up in ME pretty fast. Weapons sales are flying faster then we've ever seen. we see an Iran led coalition of Yemen, Qatar, Lebanon, Syria, and the Iraq central government, backed by Russia, vs. a Saudi led coalition of Egypt, UAE, Jordan, and Israel, backed by the United States. Add to the mix the Turks, and the Kurds, so what could possible go wrong?

It is not a stable situation by any stretch of the imagination. I don't trust the Saudis enough to even consider selling them F-35s, but I'm obviously not in a decision-making position on that front.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 05:42

tincansailor wrote:I don't think any Arab nation is going to be getting F-35s for quite sometime. Things seem to heating up in ME pretty fast. Weapons sales are flying faster then we've ever seen. we see an Iran led coalition of Yemen, Qatar, Lebanon, Syria, and the Iraq central government, backed by Russia, vs. a Saudi led coalition of Egypt, UAE, Jordan, and Israel, backed by the United States. Add to the mix the Turks, and the Kurds, so what could possible go wrong?

Trump will want to sell and many F-35's as possible. So, he can tell the American Public all of the jobs he is creating. So, honestly I wouldn't rule it out....

tincansailor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 09:33

Corsair1963 wrote:

Trump will want to sell and many F-35's as possible. So, he can tell the American Public all of the jobs he is creating. So, honestly I wouldn't rule it out....

Trump is a wild card. He wants a confrontation with Iran, to differentiate himself from his predecessors. Trump thinks his predecessors were weak, and he wants to show he's strong. He could back a Saudi action that could lead to a confrontation, and the situation could get out of control.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post14 Nov 2017, 11:08

[quote="tincansailor]

Trump will want to sell and many F-35's as possible. So, he can tell the American Public all of the jobs he is creating. So, honestly I wouldn't rule it out....[/quote]

Trump is a wild card. He wants a confrontation with Iran, to differentiate himself from his predecessors. Trump thinks his predecessors were weak, and he wants to show he's strong. He could back a Saudi action that could lead to a confrontation, and the situation could get out of control.

True and we also have another "Wild Card".....It's called the US Congress! :wink:

KamenRiderBlade

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post16 Nov 2017, 19:42

We SHOULD NOT sell the F-35 to Saudi Arabia or any of the Middle Eastern powers.

That's a recipe for disaster.

white_lightning35

Unread post17 Nov 2017, 14:04

KamenRiderBlade wrote:We SHOULD NOT sell the F-35 to Saudi Arabia or any of the Middle Eastern powers.

That's a recipe for disaster.

I just can't see the logic in it. Is it politics? They get f-35's for something important in return? The Saudi's have been funding terrorist groups throughout the middle east. Just like Turkey, they are a neccessary evil it seems.

steve2267

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Nov 2017, 14:24

The logic, if any, and it may be dubious at best, may be to try to build a coalition that can contain / take care of Iran. If I'm Iran... I cannot be happy about a bunch of Sunnis obtaining a tactical aircraft that I cannot see or stop... potentially armed with nuclear weapons down the road (10,20,30 years?) if reports of Saudi Arabia being interested in obtaining nuclear power (if not weapons) are accurate. I have to figure if they obtain nuclear power, there will be some sort of attempt to develop their own atomic weapons, as Iran appears intent to do.

If Israel does NOT object... that tells me they've either been bought off, or have been given the keys to the F-35 kingdom such that they could defend against UAE / Lightning / Turkey Lightnings. (Aside: once upon a time, Turkey and Israel, if not buddy-buddy, appeared to be able to work together at least through back channels. Has that relationship survived? cooled? What is Israel's position towards Turkey these days?)
Take an F-16, stir in a little A-7, bake, then sprinkle on a generous helping of F-117. What do you get? An F-35.

white_lightning35

Unread post17 Nov 2017, 15:56

steve2267 wrote:If Israel does NOT object... that tells me they've either been bought off, or have been given the keys to the F-35 kingdom such that they could defend against UAE / Lightning / Turkey Lightnings. (Aside: once upon a time, Turkey and Israel, if not buddy-buddy, appeared to be able to work together at least through back channels. Has that relationship survived? cooled? What is Israel's position towards Turkey these days?)

Sometimes I feel like saying **** the Israelis for being greedy backstabbers, but then I realize that they are yet another necessary cog in the wheel. I do think lessening our reliance on them would be beneficial, but I don't know if they can be easily replaced. Giving them special stuff or access needs to be avoided whenever possible, IMO.
Next

Return to General F-35 Forum