PODcast - Parts I & II: F-35 in the Crossfire [Sprey/Berke]

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post16 Aug 2017, 16:47

'garrya' said: "...I give everyone benefit of the doubt...." You may think that is a noble thing to do on the internet -however I think your experience will prove otherwise. I even doubt myself. Who am I? What is the meaning of LIF?
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 Aug 2017, 17:15

spazsinbad wrote:'garrya' said: "...I give everyone benefit of the doubt...." You may think that is a noble thing to do on the internet -however I think your experience will prove otherwise. I even doubt myself. Who am I? What is the meaning of LIF?

As I posted, it really doesn't matter. And absent concrete evidence one way or the other, is irrelevant. The fifth gen systems require actual people like Berke connected closely to the paradigm for any authority. In that regard. EVERYONE who knows agrees with Berke. All speculators, including us, do not yet understand, beyond some glimpses like the Red Flag results, and Persian Gulf F-4 intercepts etc.

F-15 pilots who have gone against them in exercises have universally reported that they felt like "Baby Seals." That's about all we know. And F-15's are the undefeated defending champions in actual combat. 'Nuf said.

MHO
BP

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post16 Aug 2017, 17:53

My comment was more general than for just the ersatz Hornet pilot on the EAGLE forum (which I have not, nor will, read).
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

zerion

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Aug 2017, 23:40

Av. Week podcast interview with Billie Flynn

http://m.aviationweek.com/podcast/podca ... ilots-view

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 09:26

Nice link! It's really eye opening, especially when they talk about the FCS which directly translates to why the F-35 hasn't had an accident in all the flight hours it's flown.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 12:07

IIRC this 'neofrightener' chap gave a link to the MOST BORING LONG WINDED explanation of carrier landing technique (must admit I stopped watching after about two seconds - dog almighty) so here is my pick for an explanation - don't worry that it is for FSX Flight Simulator - the basics still apply and it is a well explained and illustrated video (FCLP also):

http://fsxproblueangels.com/videoscreen%20ok3.html

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 18:37

Dude was a fake anyways.

All the aircraft carrier landing is a regular traffic pattern and landing except it's on a moving airfield. That's all he needed to say.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 19:14

steve2267 wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:One of the JSF pilots I talked to was a former F-14 guy and said the F-35C was far better in a dogfight, and easier to handle as well (no surprise)

XC, did the pilot expound at all on what made the Cee better than the Turkey?

No. But i do know Its a great turner though. Best of all the variants with the big wings. Flight controls more responsive. You don't have to do the cross control stuff.
Choose Crews

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 22:24

kimjongnumbaun wrote:Dude was a fake anyways.

All the aircraft carrier landing is a regular traffic pattern and landing except it's on a moving airfield. That's all he needed to say.

I do not know what to say in response. :doh: IF ONLY. :doh:

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post23 Aug 2017, 23:50

spazsinbad wrote:
kimjongnumbaun wrote:Dude was a fake anyways.

I do not know what to say in response. :doh: IF ONLY. :doh:

I fly a helo so we have the advantage of adjusting our slide slope and approach speed for a roll on, but the principle is exactly the same. The only major difference is that a Navy fixed wing guy has to hit on a specific spot for a moving target, but as long as the pilot follows the glide slope indicator they will be able to hit that spot.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2017, 00:01

Do you fly NAVY helos or civilian examples? IF ONLY carrier landings were this simple indeed: 'as long as' indeed
"... as long as the pilot follows the glide slope indicator they will be able to hit that spot...."

Anyway as pointed out today on the Canukian thread we should respect the thread and take this 'discussion' elsewhere....

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post24 Aug 2017, 00:21

I've done carrier landings. I botched my first one simply because I didn't take into account the height of the carrier and that it was moving. 2nd attempt shot for further ahead of the carrier and nailed it. Our unit does deck quals as part of our training to support DSCA.

And don't take this as me trying to take away things from Navy pilots. It's a difficult task, especially in rough seas. But it's not impossible and the principles are the same, with some adjustments in how you fly it. I draw parallels with how rotary wing pilots have to think differently from how they fly in the states when doing VFR vs flying in the desert with no visual reference points. You just need to take different things into account. It's more difficult, but not this monumental task. Thousands of others have trained to do it before you and have succeeded.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2017, 00:47

I see you do not read what I post - let us take this to another thread or start a new one -up to you- you started discussion.

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post24 Aug 2017, 07:10

I'm curious what are the parameters needed for the F-35 to begin automatic self recovery procedures.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2017, 07:50

PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum