Red Flag 17-3 kicking up summer heat with AF, Marine F-35s

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 18:06

Yup, that was canceled a while ago due to delays in MADL development.

From March 2011
Air Force leaders shed more light on the communications issues facing the F-22 Raptor today, telling lawmakers that the plane will not be receiving the same datalink being developed for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

MADL however, is not “mature” enough to install on the Raptor without incurring too much risk, said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz.

“We should let the F-35 development effort mature before tacking it onto the F-22, this was a cost and a risk calculation on our part,” the four-star told the House Appropriations defense subcommittee today.

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2011/03/31/f-22 ... alinksyet/
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

chucky2

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 18:23

SpudmanWP wrote:They have already done that and there are commercial products available to do this.

What they are doing now is taking the palatalized solution and getting it to work in a standardized, pylon mounted pod.

Are you talking about Talon HATE pods (I thought that was F-15 <-> F-22?) or something else? I'm surprised 'the solution' for F-22 <-> F-35 would be hanging a stealthed Talon HATE pod off the wing of a F-22...I'd have thought 'the solution' for F-22 would have been internal like everything else.

And speaking of MADL, have the F-35 <-> F-35 issues been solved yet or is MADL still not reliable for information sharing for more than small formation flights?

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post09 Aug 2017, 18:35

Talon hate is for an F-15 to act as a data relay between the F-22 and everything else.

MADL issues are constantly being addressed and improved so I am not sure where it stands today. The issues are tied to the number of targets being tracked so while 8 may work in a normal environment, 4 may have a problem in highly dense environments. All that is based on older Blocks/reports so I am not sure what the latest Block 3i/3F has the capability of doing.

Since the F-35 has transmit Link-16, it does not "need" Talon Hate to the degree that the F-22 does.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Aug 2017, 02:16

I wonder at this point if it would be quicker and cheaper to put MADL in the F-22 or IFDL in the F-35. :shrug:

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Aug 2017, 03:02

geforcerfx wrote:I wonder at this point if it would be quicker and cheaper to put MADL in the F-22 or IFDL in the F-35. :shrug:

200+ to 186/ MADL TO IFDL,
but the B-21 should be the tie breaker.
:)

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Aug 2017, 04:12

MADL would be the more modern technology. There was a stated intention to retrofit it to F-22 and B-2 fleets .. like everything else funding is the issue.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

tincansailor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Aug 2017, 02:56

chucky2 wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:They have already done that and there are commercial products available to do this.

What they are doing now is taking the palatalized solution and getting it to work in a standardized, pylon mounted pod.

Are you talking about Talon HATE pods (I thought that was F-15 <-> F-22?) or something else? I'm surprised 'the solution' for F-22 <-> F-35 would be hanging a stealthed Talon HATE pod off the wing of a F-22...I'd have thought 'the solution' for F-22 would have been internal like everything else.

And speaking of MADL, have the F-35 <-> F-35 issues been solved yet or is MADL still not reliable for information sharing for more than small formation flights?

The F-22 doesn't have to carry the Talon HATE pod, the F-15 does. The Talon HATE is basically a translator for the rest of the other 4th generation aircraft, so they can share data with the F-22.
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum