Turkey negotiating with SEDEF Shipyard for 2nd Light Carrier

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Banned

by airforces_freak » 02 Mar 2017, 16:24

Turkish LHD programme gathers momentum
Michele Capeleto, Abu Dhabi - IHS Jane's Navy International
27 February 2017
http://www.janes.com/article/68285/turk ... from_rss=1

Turkish shipbuilder SEDEF has told Jane's that the Turkish Navy should have its new landing helicopter dock (LHD) two years earlier than originally expected and confirmed that the company is currently in negotiations to build a second LHD.

SEDEF's defence industry manager Selim Bugdanoglu told Jane's that at the moment a formal tender for the second vessel "is planned for around the date of launch for [first-in-class vessel] Anadolu", which is currently set for January 2019.

The project's roots stretch back just over a decade, to a Request for Information that was issued in April 2007, followed by local bid submissions in early 2010 and the selection of a joint SEDEF/Navantia proposal in late December 2013.

This means Turkey may be ordering more F-35B or C's.

TCG Anadolu Aircraft Inventory
6 x F-35B (12 F-35B in Light Carrier mode)
4 x T-129 ATAK
8 x As532 or CH-47F
2 x S-70B Seahawk
2 x Anka or Bayraktar UAV/UCAV

Banned

by tincansailor » 05 Mar 2017, 05:11

airforcesfreak I've missed you. So another light carrier for the Turkish armada. If this keeps up the west will have to form a new "Holly Alliance". So now with their new base in Albania they can invade the heel of Italy. They can now replay the battles of Caesar vs Pompey, Octavian vs Anthony & Cleopatra, and the Lepanto Campaign.

As I've asked before just what is Turkey planning on using all these ships for? What do they intend to do in Syria? How goes the new Ottoman Empire?

Banned

by airforces_freak » 05 Mar 2017, 06:56

tincansailor wrote:airforcesfreak I've missed you. So another light carrier for the Turkish armada. If this keeps up the west will have to form a new "Holly Alliance". So now with their new base in Albania they can invade the heel of Italy. They can now replay the battles of Caesar vs Pompey, Octavian vs Anthony & Cleopatra, and the Lepanto Campaign.

As I've asked before just what is Turkey planning on using all these ships for? What do they intend to do in Syria? How goes the new Ottoman Empire?

Nice sarcasm and imagery but do you ask the same questions when the Australian's acquire HMAS Canberra (L02) or HMAS Adelaide (L01) or when the Egyptians acquire ENS Gamal Abdel Nasser (L1010) or ENS Anwar El Sadat (L1020)?

Turkey plans to merely have the capability of two amphibious assault vessels with an aerial capacity.

As reported before and this can be confirmed when the ships are launched...one will be moored at the Turkish Base in Qatar and the other at Mogadishu, Somalia.

Once TCG Anadolu and TCK Trakya are commissioned Turkey will also then work on a 45,000 ton proper Carrier. This carrier will however be dependent on two other projects: the TF-2000 AAW Frigate and the TF-X (Naval Variant).

Turkey's aim is to have a blue-water navy by 2035 in a bid to secure its sea lines of communication.

Banned

by arian » 05 Mar 2017, 22:51

tincansailor wrote:So now with their new base in Albania

Exclusive picture of Turkish nuclear ballistic missile light-spaceship carrier base in Albania.

When contacted for comment, the Albanian government said that it was not aware of any Turkish bases on its territory, but added that Turkey can do anything, so if Turkey said so, it must be true.

Banned

by tincansailor » 10 Mar 2017, 12:05

airforces_freak wrote:
tincansailor wrote:airforcesfreak I've missed you. So another light carrier for the Turkish armada. If this keeps up the west will have to form a new "Holly Alliance". So now with their new base in Albania they can invade the heel of Italy. They can now replay the battles of Caesar vs Pompey, Octavian vs Anthony & Cleopatra, and the Lepanto Campaign.

Nice sarcasm and imagery but do you ask the same questions when the Australian's acquire HMAS Canberra (L02) or HMAS Adelaide (L01) or when the Egyptians acquire ENS Gamal Abdel Nasser (L1010) or ENS Anwar El Sadat (L1020)?

Turkey plans to merely have the capability of two amphibious assault vessels with an aerial capacity.

As reported before and this can be confirmed when the ships are launched...one will be moored at the Turkish Base in Qatar and the other at Mogadishu, Somalia.

Once TCG Anadolu and TCK Trakya are commissioned Turkey will also then work on a 45,000 ton proper Carrier. This carrier will however be dependent on two other projects: the TF-2000 AAW Frigate and the TF-X (Naval Variant).

Turkey's aim is to have a blue-water navy by 2035 in a bid to secure its sea lines of communication.

Sorry airforcesfreak. I was only being a little sarcastic. I have missed you, I enjoy our exchanges. True, I don't question Australia building large amphibious ships. Australia participates in peace keeping operations, and in Western military coalitions. Australia is also an Island continent whos nearest neighbor is many times it's size in population, is politically unstable, and who they have had a history of conflicts with.

The idea of Turkey becoming a true blue water power is absurd. Even after the build up your talking about Turkey would be far behind the naval forces of the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France, Japan, and India. You also don't seem to understand what controlling sea lines of communications mean. It's means being able to defend your sea lanes against a foreign power. It means being able to defend choke points. Suez, and Gibraltar come to mind, and Turkey cannot hope to force open ether of them if closed by a hostile power. Greece could close off most of Turkey's sea ports.

Turkey is at best a regional land power. Anything more then that is a pretense. It's the ego of Erdogan that thinks a few ships on the Indian Ocean would make Turkey a Blue Water Power. The next thing will be Erdogan painting his fleet green for Islam, and sending then around the world as the great Green Fleet.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Mar 2017, 15:52

airforces_freak wrote:

Not really because Australia is acquiring ships as a matter of routine and folks like yourself seem to think Turkeys ships are a part of a new national identity and role in center of the Super powers.

Turkey has to do this stuff to look relevant.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 May 2017, 05:27

Sources: Turkey to ink 'largest ever export deal for local industry'
10 May 2017 Burak Ege Bekdil

"...Turkey’s naval industry has flourished in recent years. The production of the TCG Anadolu, Turkey’s first amphibious assault ship, kicked off recently.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that the Landing Platform Dock LPD program would hopefully be the first step toward producing a “most elite” aircraft carrier. Then he upped Turkey’s naval ambitions that the country would also need a nuclear vessel.

In 2013, Turkey announced that it had selected the local shipyard Sedef for its LPD program. In the LPD contract, Sedef is partnered with Spain's Navantia.

The planned amphibious assault vessel will carry a battalion-sized unit of 1,200 troops and personnel, eight utility helicopters and three unmanned aerial vehicles; it also will transport 150 vehicles, including battle tanks. It may have an aircraft platform for vertical takeoff and landing. A ski jump at the front of the deck can be used to launch fighter aircraft. Industry sources estimate the cost of the contract at over $1 billion.

Under the original production plan the 231-meter-long vessel was to be completed within five and a half years. But Erdogan urged Sedef to deliver the vessel within four."

Source: http://www.defensenews.com/articles/sou ... l-industry

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 31 Oct 2017, 08:09

geokav wrote:How much did you get paid to post your propaganda...???
Are you paid in a regular monthly payroll, or is it by the piece...?

Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me! (THE TAXI DRIVER) I get paid by the metric TONNE. Meanwhile.... what U?
Turkey expresses interest in buying F-35B STOVL variant
30 Oct 2017 Kerry Herschelman

"Turkey recently expressed to the United States its interest in purchasing the F-35B short take-off/vertical landing (STOVL) version of the Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, Jane’s has learned from Turkish and Western defence industry sources. This is in addition to the 100 F-35As it already plans to buy from Lockheed Martin.

A senior Turkish Defence Industries undersecretariat official expressed his country’s interest in buying F-35 STOVL variants to Vice Admiral Mathias Winter, head of the US Defense Department’s F-35 programme office, during a meeting held in Ankara in mid-October. It is unclear how many F-35B STOVL variants Turkey intends to buy...."

Source: http://www.janes.com/article/75300/turk ... vl-variant

by sunstersun » 31 Oct 2017, 08:42

I'm just gonna go ahead and guess there will never be an international order for the C variant.

The only ally of the US that operates steam catapults is France.

Maybe Japan one day? ^^

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 31 Oct 2017, 08:51

:devil: :doh: Jeepers! Not even the USN order them Cs much. :drool: :mrgreen: WTF?! :wtf: Over. :shrug: :roll:

Banned

by mas » 31 Oct 2017, 10:56

The C is the specialized sea version whereas they can stick the B on any long enough ship. The B is going to continue to sell over the years as more allies see how it can be a cheap way to get effective sea air power.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 31 Oct 2017, 11:09

sunstersun wrote:I'm just gonna go ahead and guess there will never be an international order for the C variant.

Maybe Japan one day? ^^

India first.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

by sunstersun » 31 Oct 2017, 12:06

popcorn wrote:
sunstersun wrote:I'm just gonna go ahead and guess there will never be an international order for the C variant.

Maybe Japan one day? ^^

India first.

India ain't operating a C variant of the F-35 for a long long while. They need a plane compatible with their STOBAR carrier.

B's for sure.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 31 Oct 2017, 13:25

Of the two, India and Japan, which is more likely to acquire a CATOBAR CV ahead of the other?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by geokav » 31 Oct 2017, 13:29

spazsinbad wrote:
geokav wrote:How much did you get paid to post your propaganda...???
Are you paid in a regular monthly payroll, or is it by the piece...?

Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me! (THE TAXI DRIVER) I get paid by the metric TONNE. Meanwhile.... what U?
Turkey expresses interest in buying F-35B STOVL variant
30 Oct 2017 Kerry Herschelman

"Turkey recently expressed to the United States its interest in purchasing the F-35B short take-off/vertical landing (STOVL) version of the Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, Jane’s has learned from Turkish and Western defence industry sources. This is in addition to the 100 F-35As it already plans to buy from Lockheed Martin.

No not you :D ..., but airforcesfreak...
Meanwhile..., since May 2017 that this thread was opened, a lot of things have changed. The geopolitical situations in south east Mediterranean are at least volatiles...

Next