F-35B catches fire

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 08 Nov 2016, 03:24

An F-35B Joint Strike Fighter caught fire while in-flight during a training exercise last month, according to a report from Hope Hodge Seck of Military.com.

The incident was listed by the Naval Safety Center as a "Class A Mishap" — the most serious mishap class — which means that there was $2 million or more in damage. The Safety Center's report said the fire occurred in the aircraft's weapons bay on Oct. 27, and was followed by an "uneventful landing."

The actual amount of damage to the aircraft, which belonged to Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501 out of Beaufort, S.C., is not yet known.

A number of calls made by Business Insider to the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing for comment went unanswered. However, a spokesman reported to Military.com that there were no injuries in the incident.

"The aircraft landed safely and there were no injuries sustained," 1st Lt. John Roberts told the site. "An investigation is ongoing and we will provide updates as they are available...

http://www.businessinsider.com/marine-f ... re-2016-11

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 08 Nov 2016, 03:27

"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 08 Nov 2016, 03:45

popcorn wrote:Ya don't say... :D
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=52466

Saw this right after I posted. I didn't see anything in the F-35 forum so I posted. I didn't expect it would be posted there.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 08 Nov 2016, 06:44

The 'view new posts" option will flag and display only those threads with new entries since the last time you accessed the forum. No need to go thru the different threads.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 08 Nov 2016, 20:29

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... re-431286/

The cause of the weapons bay fire is still not specified, but the event did also affect the IPP and a hydraulics system. Maybe the IPP started the fire, or maybe a hydraulic leak and/or chaffed wire caused a fire in the weapons bay that starved the IPP of hydraulics, or perhaps the fire just destroyed a hydraulics line and either wiring, PAO or fuel line that the IPP uses.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 08 Nov 2016, 22:06

zerion wrote:
popcorn wrote:Ya don't say... :D
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=52466

Saw this right after I posted. I didn't see anything in the F-35 forum so I posted. I didn't expect it would be posted there.

You dun good, don't worry
Choose Crews

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by maus92 » 10 Nov 2016, 17:16

Dragon029 wrote:https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/us-marine-corps-investigating-cause-of-f-35b-fire-431286/

The cause of the weapons bay fire is still not specified, but the event did also affect the IPP and a hydraulics system. Maybe the IPP started the fire, or maybe a hydraulic leak and/or chaffed wire caused a fire in the weapons bay that starved the IPP of hydraulics, or perhaps the fire just destroyed a hydraulics line and either wiring, PAO or fuel line that the IPP uses.

Good thing this mishap occurred in the airfield's traffic pattern rather than out in the Warning areas over the Atlantic.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 10 Nov 2016, 17:42

You are assuming that it was a critical failure of the system as a whole. Remember that there is no central hydraulic system as each actuator is it's won electro-hydraulic system.

He probably could (if he did not already) open the bay doors and the rush of high-speed wind could put the fire out.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 11 Nov 2016, 01:40

maus92 wrote:
Dragon029 wrote:https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/us-marine-corps-investigating-cause-of-f-35b-fire-431286/

Good thing this mishap occurred in the airfield's traffic pattern rather than out in the Warning areas over the Atlantic.

How many Hornets have crashed since the F-35 started flying?
"There I was. . ."

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ngroot0 » 11 Nov 2016, 13:33

sferrin wrote:
maus92 wrote:

How many Hornets have crashed since the F-35 started flying?

Since December 2006, 31 Hornets and 11 Super Hornets have been written off according to aviation-safety.net.
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/db ... key&page=2

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by maus92 » 11 Nov 2016, 16:46

SpudmanWP wrote:You are assuming that it was a critical failure of the system as a whole. Remember that there is no central hydraulic system as each actuator is it's won electro-hydraulic system.

He probably could (if he did not already) open the bay doors and the rush of high-speed wind could put the fire out.

Fire and Class A mishaps are not minor occurrences, so I'm going to assume that the NATOPS/PCL guidance was to land as soon as possible. If the IPP malfunctioned - which seems to be a possible scenario in this case considering the Class A cost threshold - numerous systems could be affected by the loss of PTMS functions tied to the IPP. Any way you look at it, a fire means a bad day, and I'm glad the pilot made it back safely.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 11 Nov 2016, 16:59

Never said it was not a bad thing. You were implying that if it happen over water that he would have had to ditch.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 11 Nov 2016, 19:46

maus92 wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:You are assuming that it was a critical failure of the system as a whole. Remember that there is no central hydraulic system as each actuator is it's won electro-hydraulic system.

Fire and Class A mishaps are not minor occurrences, so I'm going to assume that the NATOPS/PCL guidance was to land as soon as possible. If the IPP malfunctioned - which seems to be a possible scenario in this case considering the Class A cost threshold - numerous systems could be affected by the loss of PTMS functions tied to the IPP. Any way you look at it, a fire means a bad day, and I'm glad the pilot made it back safely.

Hey Maus, did you see this:

Since December 2006, 31 Hornets and 11 Super Hornets have been written off according to aviation-safety.net.
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/db ... key&page=2

42 Hornets - GONE.
"There I was. . ."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 12 Nov 2016, 03:00

maus92 wrote:

The mishap summary says "IPP FAIL" so IPP malfunction seems a likely possibility.

And even in twin engine jets, if there is a fire that can't be extinguished per NATOPS/PCL, there is a high probability the pilot will eject if they can't get on the ground ASAP. As you know, several F/A-18s have landed safely but never flown again after an airframe/engine bay fire.
Attachments
F-35B Mishap 2016-10-27.jpg
F-35 mishap summary

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 12 Nov 2016, 13:06

Today a Greek F-16 Block 52 caught fire during taxiing...

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=52485&p=355971#p355971

http://www.protothema.gr/greece/article ... o-pilotos/

Those so called "advanced" 4th gen fighters, even after decades of development and MILLIONS of tax $$$ catch fire... even before take off. This is unacceptable and clearly a sign of complete failure of Lightweight Fighter program. I want it immediately scrapped; all useless F-16 to be trashed and replaced with cheaper, simplier and robust tried and true Century Series. If the DoD keeps this treacherous practice of bankrolling evil military industrial complex at the expense of equipment's performance our boys and girls get to use we will surely fall behind our potential enemies in TACAIR capability. The end of times is upon us. :bang:

Next