The F-35 could be Over Syria by Fall.

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

jessmo111

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Jul 2016, 11:29

https://fightersweep.com/5777/4-star-ge ... this-fall/

Also the General wants new weapons for the F-35.

Appearing before the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces, Carlisle told the representatives that the Air Force needs new aircraft weapons that can reliably function in an environment increasingly packed with counter-measures and electronic jamming.

“Our main air to air missile entered service in 1991 and our fifth-generation aircraft still employ those fourth-generation [weapons],” he said.

Can anyone say CUDA?

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post20 Jul 2016, 11:45

FiterSwept references the original story on 17th which says [incoherently - now reporters cannot write English sentences]:
Air Force general: F-35 ready to fight ISIS if called upon
17 Jul 2016 Phillip Swarts

"...The ongoing nature of the fight against terrorists in the Middle East could deploy the F-35 to that region immediately. But flying a reassurance mission to Europe would likely[sic]...."

Source: http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/mili ... /87073038/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

bigjku

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Jul 2016, 12:39

jessmo111 wrote:https://fightersweep.com/5777/4-star-general-f-35-may-be-ready-for-isis-this-fall/

Also the General wants new weapons for the F-35.

Appearing before the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces, Carlisle told the representatives that the Air Force needs new aircraft weapons that can reliably function in an environment increasingly packed with counter-measures and electronic jamming.

“Our main air to air missile entered service in 1991 and our fifth-generation aircraft still employ those fourth-generation [weapons],” he said.

Can anyone say CUDA?

No because near as I can tell CUDA is not the small missile the air force is working on. I believe they funded more work by the Raytheon program for something similar.

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Jul 2016, 16:44

The SACM study award to Raytheon was seen by many to be a sign that the USAF wanted at least two competitors in that space. Lockheed had a weapon in the CUDA that they were far more advanced into as far as design is concerned given that they had suggested something like that to the USAF as far back as 2010, and have had experience with hit to kill and other enabling technologies with the PAC-3. As Lockheed's program lead informed Jane's IHS, the CUDA is very much alive and they expect to compete with it once a future requirements for a SACM class weapons emerge. This will be a competition and of course Lockheed will show up with whatever appropriate missile meets the requirements. Raytheon's SACM awards are financially not threatening to the CUDA or Lockheed and are unlikely to provide it with any leg up on them as far as the larger competitions are concenred. This was different from the T3 awards where both Boeing and Raytheon kind set themselves apart from the herd through the T3 development and subsequent demonstrations.

tincansailor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 Jul 2016, 05:11

I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC. If an F-35 went down over Syria Russia would be pawing trough the wreckage, learning everything they could from it. At the least they'd learn about it's stealthy skin. The F-35 still needs a few years to mature before it goes into combat. It's time is coming, most likely in the 2018-19 time frame. The military may want to wait till the 3F software package is fully integrated before we get a heavy combat introduction.

playloud

Unread post21 Jul 2016, 20:26

tincansailor wrote:I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC. If an F-35 went down over Syria Russia would be pawing trough the wreckage, learning everything they could from it. At the least they'd learn about it's stealthy skin. The F-35 still needs a few years to mature before it goes into combat. It's time is coming, most likely in the 2018-19 time frame. The military may want to wait till the 3F software package is fully integrated before we get a heavy combat introduction.

Perhaps, or maybe they will want to show how confident they are in the plane, boosting sales, and increasing commonality with allies.

milosh

Unread post21 Jul 2016, 21:26

tincansailor wrote:I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC. If an F-35 went down over Syria Russia would be pawing trough the wreckage, learning everything they could from it. At the least they'd learn about it's stealthy skin.

And do what if they dont have tech level to produce it? If they have needed tech level I would be suprise if they dont have something similar or working on it.

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post21 Jul 2016, 22:02

tincansailor wrote:I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC. If an F-35 went down over Syria Russia would be pawing trough the wreckage, learning everything they could from it. At the least they'd learn about it's stealthy skin. The F-35 still needs a few years to mature before it goes into combat. It's time is coming, most likely in the 2018-19 time frame. The military may want to wait till the 3F software package is fully integrated before we get a heavy combat introduction.

It will fight if called, which is the point. If the minimum for combat was 3F, they would make the IOC minimum 3F.
Choose Crews

cantaz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 Jul 2016, 22:18

tincansailor wrote:I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC.

Super Hornet IOC'd in September of 2001, and then went to war.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post21 Jul 2016, 23:13

cantaz wrote:
tincansailor wrote:I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC.

Super Hornet IOC'd in September of 2001, and then went to war.

F-15E was also deployed to war within a year of IOC.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Jul 2016, 01:18

The Air-Force has taken aircraft in testing and deployed to theater prior to IOC as well. The Global Hawk and the JSTARS were all doing their duties much ahead of where the F-35A is at the moment.

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post22 Jul 2016, 01:59

bring_it_on wrote:

The Air-Force has taken aircraft in testing and deployed to theater prior to IOC as well. The Global Hawk and the JSTARS were all doing their duties much ahead of where the F-35A is at the moment.

You beat me to it. JSTARS deployed to combat at least twice Before IOC
Choose Crews

tincansailor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Jul 2016, 11:11

XanderCrews wrote:
bring_it_on wrote:

You beat me to it. JSTARS deployed to combat at least twice Before IOC

You all make valid points, but I would argue there are some important differences. Global Hawk is an unmanned system, and JSTARS never fly over enemy territory. The Super Hornet was probably considered an upgrade of a proven aircraft design. The same would be true of the F-15E, though I think it went operational in 1988, and went into combat in 1991. The F-35 is a platform still technically in it's test phase.

Syria is a dangerous place, as I've said many times, but no one is shooting at us with advanced SAM Systems. I just don't think the Pentagon feels pressed enough to risk the F-35 yet, It's not needed. The aircraft currently in use in theater are preforming their missions quite well. Now if things heat up and say Hillary gets elected and she orders a no fly zone over Syria that could be a different story.

To stop the Russians from flying we might bring in more F-22s, and F-35s. Then we could intimidate Russia with some stealth wizardry. If Russian Fighters start having American Fighters show up on their 6 telling them their in violation of a no fly zone they'll get the message that their over matched. If they get the message they will find a face saving way to back down, and out of the crisis.

You of course all could be right, but I just don't see this risk adverse Pentagon committing such a high prestige asset unless they really think they need it's unique capabilities in a crisis. The way the world is going that crisis may not be far off. So to paraphrase Adolf Galland "Give me a squadron of Lightning II's"

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post23 Jul 2016, 19:05

The request would come from the botTom up. Not the top down.

One of the more frustrating aspects of the military and government is one thing is ok to deploy 50 times and is expendable, and another thing is protected by bullet proof glass and immune from anything approaching danger. Gets old fast.

If called upon, if needed they should go, if we aren't willing to use them after IOC, IOC is a pointless benchmark
Choose Crews

tincansailor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Jul 2016, 00:13

milosh wrote:
tincansailor wrote:I doubt the air force would comment a plane to a combat theater immediately after declaring IOC. If an F-35 went down over Syria Russia would be pawing trough the wreckage, learning everything they could from it. At the least they'd learn about it's stealthy skin.

And do what if they dont have tech level to produce it? If they have needed tech level I would be suprise if they dont have something similar or working on it.

Your probably right about the Russians not being able to reproduce the RAM but it still sends them in the right direction. Any knowledge they glen from a downed F-35 would advance their own stealth program. Remember the Russians got their first IR AIM by examining an unexploded Sidewinder left caught in the frame of a Chinese Mig-17. Reverse engineering the B-29 advanced Soviet aviation technology a full decade. Their crude but not stupid. The less they know about the F-35 the better.
Next

Return to General F-35 Forum