F-35 flies against A-4s: F-35 pilots lyrical about F-35

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 12 Jan 2016, 08:42

spazsinbad wrote:FOR REALS?! Mid-December I was emergency hospitalised with bi-lateral heart failure. In six days I recovered well and I'm now on medication and long-term monitoring of the condition; which is likely to worsen as the years roll-on, so I think your dream for me is - unlikely at age 67. I blame the catapult - that was one times one hundred plus punches in the chest - at 6G - I did not need; but others MMV. However for someone fit enough that ride sounds cool - I can always visualise. In fact we were (or I was) taught that method in RAAF advanced flying training in the Vampire '68 (before 'visualisation' was a buzzword later) by a really switched on jet instructor - it helped me get to the A4G for sure & I'm most grateful. :mrgreen:

::Gives you a big hug:: I hope you are ok & healthier now.

What I would give to have modern medicine use Stem Cell technology to regrow a natural Heart from your Stem Cells and give you a heart that is equivalent to the 20 year old you so you can live another 60+ years without issues.

Then eventually replace all the other organs that might have issues.

You deserve it for all your hard work.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Jan 2016, 08:50

YEAH thanks - the diagnosis sounds dramatic and of course there are degrees. I had so much fluid in my lungs that I could barely breathe - hence the call for an ambulance - with excess fluid in my lower limbs and torso causing dramatic tissue swelling. Since then I have lost 15Kg - mostly this excess fluid (1 litre fluid equals 1kg). This fluid usually is rid by a good functioning heart. When one side not working then fluid in lungs, the other side in lower limbs etc. I had double whammy. An angiogram in hospital showed some slight plaque build up in arteries but can be managed by medication and a strict fluid intake of 1.2 litre per day - reduced salt intake - and it is working. Sadly my family history not good - father, older brother dead from their first heart attack. I have outlived them by some 15-20 years so far.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 12 Jan 2016, 08:54

spazsinbad wrote:FOR REALS?! Mid-December I was emergency hospitalised with bi-lateral heart failure. In six days I recovered well and I'm now on medication and long-term monitoring of the condition; which is likely to worsen as the years roll-on, so I think your dream for me is - unlikely at age 67. I blame the catapult - that was one times one hundred plus punches in the chest - at 6G - I did not need; but others MMV. However for someone fit enough that ride sounds cool - I can always visualise. In fact we were (or I was) taught that method in RAAF advanced flying training in the Vampire '68 (before 'visualisation' was a buzzword later) by a really switched on jet instructor - it helped me get to the A4G for sure & I'm most grateful. :mrgreen:

Were these hydraulic cats Spaz? I'd read somewhere they packed a meaner punch than steam. Anyway, happy to see you weathered the storm.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 12 Jan 2016, 08:56

popcorn wrote:

Were these hydraulic cats Spaz? I'd read somewhere they packed a meaner punch than steam. Anyway, happy to see you weathered the storm.

Is it safe to assume EMALS cat launches will be easier on future pilots than Steam catapult launches?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Jan 2016, 09:03

'popcorn' the MELBOURNE catapult was a 90 foot stroke beginning of A4G era but lengthened by 10 feet with installation of the strop catcher two years later (by my time). The steam drove the A4G at about between 5-6G for less than two seconds, depending on conditions at launch. The A-4 was built to a 9G transverse limit for the catapult and our A4G could be launched by the steam catapult in nil wind in hot South China Sea conditions at max all up weight; but never done on an A4G - deadweight launches (CHLOE) only. It was the last resort 'warshot' and it would have been BRUTAL - but short.

Yes 'krb' the EMALS will be kinder to everyone AND a 300 foot USN CVN cat stroke makes a difference. This phrase may be found online: "...HMAS MELBOURNE’s records show that there had been 8,834 A-4 Skyhawk launches since 1969...." The last A4G (lost 885) was only a few cats later & that was the end in late 1980 for A4G/MELBOURNE catapulting for all time.

http://www.adf-messageboard.com.au/invb ... topic=2428 [on this forum my name is 'luig' 2nd & last RANFAA nickname]

Banned

by tincansailor » 12 Jan 2016, 09:26

spazsinbad wrote:YEAH thanks - the diagnosis sounds dramatic and of course there are degrees. I had so much fluid in my lungs that I could barely breathe - hence the call for an ambulance - with excess fluid in my lower limbs and torso causing dramatic tissue swelling. Since then I have lost 15Kg - mostly this excess fluid (1 litre fluid equals 1kg). This fluid usually is rid by a good functioning heart. When one side not working then fluid in lungs, the other side in lower limbs etc. I had double whammy. An angiogram in hospital showed some slight plaque build up in arteries but can be managed by medication and a strict fluid intake of 1.2 litre per day - reduced salt intake - and it is working. Sadly my family history not good - father, older brother dead from their first heart attack. I have outlived them by some 15-20 years so far.

I'm deeply sorry to hear about your troubles. Your in my prayers my friend. I've had similar problems with fluid retention, I was in the hospital for 11 days this summer because of an infection, and they found I had a lot of fluid that needed to come out. I thought I was finally gaining weight. With Lasix medications I peed it out. Like you they told me to watch both fluid and salt. Please take care of yourself, the world is a better place with you in it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Jan 2016, 09:53

Thanks 'tcs' and earlier 'pop' and best wishes for your health also. Yes LASIX (Frusemide & other names) is the trick although at beginning in hospital I had a catheter inserted also to get it out - painlessly - thank you emergency nurse - all good. :mrgreen: The bag was 'fun' but only in hospital where 10 Kg lost. Now I take two LASIX per day and pee a lot. Probably more info than anyone needs but youse old geezers need to know. 'Heart attacks' seem to be general knowledge but not symptoms for 'heart failure' - I was bemused by swelling and thought I had a bad chest cold with the wheezing - especially at night - and eventually I could not sleep with the fluid build up etc. Sitting or standing breathing was not easy either.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 12 Jan 2016, 22:43

spazsinbad wrote:FOR REALS?! Mid-December I was emergency hospitalised with bi-lateral heart failure. In six days I recovered well and I'm now on medication and long-term monitoring of the condition; which is likely to worsen as the years roll-on, so I think your dream for me is - unlikely at age 67.

Very sad to hear Spaz - hope you can stay strong. ( no don't know what its like but I'm sure it will hit me one day)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Jan 2016, 00:04

Thanks 'basher' - it is worthwhile researching miljet pilots age conditions. I had 'heart attack' in mind but knew nothing about 'heart failure' - worth a look up to catch it early - rather than later as I found out to my dismay (see earlier posts).

Previous