Marine's declare IOC

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 03 Aug 2015, 17:09

spazsinbad wrote:Just one thing for 'bring_it_on': the F-35B at moment cannot do this... [No external weapons possible with 2B/3i Block.]
"...use the same aircraft as a CAS platform and hang a ton of munition (More than the Hornet) and perform non-stealthy strike...."

I was talking about the aircraft in general, not the current state of the block ;)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 03 Aug 2015, 19:07

"Technically" it can carry external stores... It just can't use them :)
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 03 Aug 2015, 23:34

SpudmanWP wrote:"Technically" it can carry external stores... It just can't use them :)

So ut can still look mean I guess :P

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Aug 2015, 00:29

Well then one would hope that any external weapons carried today (not for testing - but why?) could be jettisoned for whatever reason? Anyway here is a timeline that we all know and remember - right? - for IOC USMC. Best read at source.
Ready for Battle – The Road to USMC IOC
03 Aug 2015 LM PR

"“This generational leap in technology will enable the Marines to operate a fleet of fighter/attack aircraft from existing runways, unimproved [?] surfaces at austere bases, or the decks of ships. We find that capability extremely valuable.”

These were the words of then-U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) Commandant Gen. James Conway nearly eight years ago when BF-1 rolled off the production line. Since then, more than 13,000 flight hours were flown in the F-35B and the USMC declared Initial Operational Capability (IOC) July 31,2015.

The declaration of IOC represents the Marines’ confidence in the capabilities and maturity of the F-35B to fly it in a wartime scenario...."

Source: https://www.f35.com/news/detail/ready-f ... o-usmc-ioc

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 04 Aug 2015, 04:54

Wait, does that mean no Sidewinder support currently?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Aug 2015, 05:20

Here is the list of weapons for Block 2B from one year ago (I guess I can find earlier references to what is known for 2B):
Marine Joint Strike Fighter on Track to Meet 2015 Goal [VIDEO just for the HECK of it]
02 Jun 2014 Dave Majumdar

"...The Marine Corps intends to declare the F-35B operational with interim Block 2B capabilities in July 2015. The Block 2B configuration includes basic data-fusion capabilities including data-links and a limited suite of weapons including the Raytheon AIM-120 advanced medium range air-to-air missiles (AMRAAM), 500lbs GBU-12 laser-guided bombs, and 1000lbs GBU-32 Joint Direct Attack Munitions...."

Source: http://news.usni.org/2014/06/02/marine- ... -2015-goal

Last edited by spazsinbad on 04 Aug 2015, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 04 Aug 2015, 05:27

madrat wrote:Wait, does that mean no Sidewinder support currently?

More like no need for Sidewinder distraction. The missile will receive the same support it has always received, whether or not the aircraft carries it.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 04 Aug 2015, 11:53

by MD » 04 Aug 2015, 16:39

Senator McCain (R-AZ) at it again. Now criticizing the F-35B IOC decision.

McCain is in a tough spot. The F-35A-models of the USAF is the only thing keeping Luke AFB in Phoenix open as it's F-16 mission slowly winds down, otherwise it goes on the BRAC list for closure as it has no other major missions. McCain has been highly supportive of the A-model, yet will come out and be highly critical of the B-model? He must not have any major $$$ coming in or votes coming in from the city of Yuma......

But at least McCain's political hypocrisy is in line with his political record.

https://arizonadailyindependent.com/201 ... ide-cover/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Aug 2015, 16:53

:devil: heheh - that artickle is quoting TidyRogerAway [Tyler Rogoway] - then POGO - then the 'johnQpublicBLOG - theys informed eh. :doh: Youse Americans are funny indeed. :mrgreen:

by MD » 04 Aug 2015, 17:04

spazsinbad wrote::devil: heheh - that artickle is quoting TidyRogerAway [Tyler Rogoway] - then POGO - then the 'johnQpublicBLOG - theys informed eh. :doh: Youse Americans are funny indeed. :mrgreen:

Oh I know......Rogoway, we all know of his credentials as a self-proclaimed expert.

Carr, he writes some ok things critical of the USAF, however as a former C-17 pilot, I do think he strays pretty far outside his lane of traffic when he starts talking/criticizing specifics regarding fighter/attack aircraft and associated subjects, of which he has zero experience in.

Good ole McCain. As the senior Senator of my state here, it's always one of those "what's he going to do next?" things.....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Aug 2015, 17:11

:mrgreen: As long as McCain (you've done it again) is not BREAKING BAD on F-35 then things should be OK for the F-35s eh. :devil:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 04 Aug 2015, 18:16

Oh I know......Rogoway, we all know of his credentials as a self-proclaimed expert.

Many of them aren’t even paid! They email me and end up telling me they work for LM or have a brother that works for a sub contractor who is a good guy. It’s maddening. You can’t say a good thing about this program without being a fan boy or a bad thing without being a hater. Not an easy gig telling the truth as you see it. Some guy just commented someone calls me a “basement dweller” on a military aviation enthusiast forum, like I care, it just never ends. This is very personal for people. In the end I make not a dime from a contractor, have no family related to the program or any other, have never worked for big defense or for the military. Can’t get much more unbias than that.

Actual Rogoway quote^

I've seen that logic from illiterate rednecks, you know if you can't read, you can't know. Ignorance is bliss. Tyler is a hotdog vender and photog That is his background

Good ole McCain. As the senior Senator of my state here, it's always one of those "what's he going to do next?" things.....

aint that the truth!! I'm sure next week he will flip back. If you don't like a decision, wait 10 minutes for it to switch
Choose Crews

by MD » 04 Aug 2015, 18:52

XanderCrews wrote:This is very personal for people.

What's funny is, the number of people who this is SO personal for, yet who have zero operational stake in what this aircraft can do. Not even remotely

Like many A-10 hardcore fans who have nothing to do with the aircraft, have never flown it or any other military aircraft, and don't have any stake in what the A-10 provides; seeing these people all over A-10 Facebook pages and the like, going hell and highwater angry over the jet being retired. And pontificating about all US troops are now going to instantly die on the battlefield because A-10s won't be around (which doesn't say much for US troops, I'd be offended as one hearing that). Forget the fact that many CAS scenarios were accomplished without A-10s. But these people go so far as to say "screw 5th gen fighters, we need more A-10s!", and go on and on about its capabilities and this and that.

I get one guy telling me all about CAS tactics and about how the gun is so important. To which I responded that the gun isnt the only weapon it has. His response was "you don't drop bombs in a CAS scenario, unless you want friendly fire deaths".

Oh that's funny, I've dropped any number of bombs in CAS scenarios, with and without troops in danger close; a few times with the ground FAC requesting Mk82s even though I was leery of dropping them (my jet was HUD out, all manual mil-crank that day), knowing the proximity of the enemy, understanding that he and his guys will need to seek some serious cover, and passing along the Ground CC's initials as the final approval. It's all dependant on the situation. Sure, there are certain weapons we tend to not use in CAS, but bombs isn't one of them.

Just awesome that after 5 years in the Hog and 2 combat tours in it, some intenet fanboy will proceed to speak as if he's some kind of authority on the specific details of something he knows the square root of jack squat about. :mrgreen:

aint that the truth!! I'm sure next week he will flip back. If you don't like a decision, wait 10 minutes for it to switch

He never ceases to amaze. McCain's military service was honorable, but once he entered politics, the honor seemed to take a back seat. Much like Randall Cunningham.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 04 Aug 2015, 19:05

MD wrote: once he entered politics, the honor seemed to take a back seat. Much like ....

[cough] John Kerry [/cough]

Forget the back seat.. it jumped out of the damn car!
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

PreviousNext