F-35 and Airshows

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

kiwidingo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post01 Oct 2013, 20:55

The cobra is an important part of the mating ritual of the flanker species. As they approach each other they immediately jettison all of their weapons and most of their fuel in order to perform the elaborate mating dance. The female of the species will then perform the cobra signaling to the male that she is submissive. Unfortunately the unarmed male is unable to take advantage of the situation but mysteriously, both flankers are now f****d.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post01 Oct 2013, 21:14

Perhaps 'zero-one' was looking for this quote:

IN FOCUS: Lockheed claims F-35 kinematics ‘better than or equal to’ Typhoon or Super Hornet 07 Feb 2013 Dave Majumdar
"...If one were to overlay the energy-maneuverability (E-M) diagrams for the F/A-18, F-16 or Typhoon over the F-35's, "It is better. Comparable or better than every Western fourth-generation fighter out there," Flynn says. That applies even to the F-35 B and C models with their respective 7g and 7.5g limits. "You're not going to see any measurable difference between the aircraft," Flynn says. In terms of instantaneous and sustained turn rates and just about every other performance metric, the F-35 variants match or considerably exceed the capabilities of every fourth-generation fighter, he says...."

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... et-382078/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post01 Oct 2013, 21:18

'kiwidingo' maybe doze flankers need to land to do it?

RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

cantaz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post01 Oct 2013, 21:52

kiwidingo wrote:Unfortunately the unarmed male is unable to take advantage of the situation but mysteriously, both flankers are now f****d.

But wait, the gun! Maybe that's why some Sukhoi fanboys are obsessed with the possibility of a gun kill.

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post01 Oct 2013, 23:13

Prinz_Eugn wrote:Oh god... this is where I go to get away from the rest of the internet!

I'm with Eugn. I really don't need anyone to remind me of Mily's Pedo-bear dance.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

haavarla

Banned

Unread post02 Oct 2013, 15:16

zero-one wrote:Cant quite see the one who posted it, but I'm preatty sure I saw

The F-35 will be limited to Rafale or Typhoon like demos

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the F-35 is not known for Sustained turn rates where these two aircrafts excel on,

The F-35 on the otherhand excels on high Alpha whereas the Typhoon and Rafale would be lucky to acheive half of the F-35s FCS AOA limits

I read Billy Flynn's statement comparing it to the F-16Vista if im not mistaken, or was it F-18 HARV, can't seem to find the link, Billy Flynn also said that the F-35 had nearly the same E-M diagrams as the F-18, with better acceleration at some parts of the envelope.
which is why i often watch the F-18s demos and imagine that the Lightning will do the same if not a bit better.

what do you guys think

I didn't mean anything negative With that. I'm looking forward to see the F-35 on Dispaly. Just like i like seeing Gripen Rafale, F-15 and EF doing their dispaly on Airshow.

zero-one

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post02 Oct 2013, 17:05

I know, I did not take the Rafale or Typhoon demo comparison as a negative thing,

I mean those 2 war birds are deffinitely the best Air Superiority fighters on the European side of NATO, and their Demos are awsome to watch,

So if the F-35 can replicate those then great, I'm all for it.

I said earlier that the F-35 however is not known for Sustained turn rates where the 2 European birds Excel

However the latest episode of Test Pilot Tuesdays, Test Pilot Elliot Clemance says that this is one of the most common missconcepcions and that the F-35 is verry good at this regard.

This is one of the best under 1 minute videos on youtube

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Mar 2017, 19:15

F-35 to perform in Idaho Falls Air Show
By: Staff Writer Posted: Mar 09, 2017 09:06 AM MST Updated: Mar 09, 2017 09:06 AM MST

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) - The U.S. Air Force will bring its F-35 Lightning II fighter to Idaho Falls' Extreme Blue Thunder Air Show this summer. The show is scheduled July 22-23.

Idaho Falls will be one of twelve cities in North America that will feature the Heritage Flight program. The program celebrates the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force. The F-35 will perform alongside other fighter/attack aircraft from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.

Source: http://www.localnews8.com/news/f-35-to- ... /385632460
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Mar 2017, 19:45

F-35 to make flying debut at Dayton Air Show
Barrie Barber Updated: 12:58 p.m Thursday, March 9, 2017

DAYTON

The Air Force’s newest stealth jet will fly a demonstration for the first at this year’s Vectren Dayton Air Show, organizers announced.

The F-35A Lightning II will fly in tandem with a World War II P-51 Mustang in a “heritage flight” at the air show June 24 and 25.

Source: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/loc ... kxsGrBC6N/
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

wolfpak

Unread post11 Mar 2017, 17:19

The F-35 flew in formation (Heritage Flight) with a F-22 and P-51 last year at the Cleveland National Airshow. It may be a first for Dayton but not the air show circuit. The deal on what you get and how many demos/heritage flights you get is tied to show attendance and recruiting goals. For smaller shows you get one of the main demos but if you have a larger show you may get two or three. At Cleveland, Ohio they had the F-22 demo, the F-35 heritage flight and the Blues. This year at Youngstown, 70 miles away all we could get was the Thunderbirds. Would have thought we would have heard it on the web if they have developed a demo routine for the F-35 and if so then Dayton may be the first venue.

yeswepromise

Unread post11 Mar 2017, 21:04

For the west coast folk there are quite a few good ones.

-China Lake will have a CTOL, STOVL, and CV on static. Should be a Dutch CTOL, UK STOVL, and a Vampire CV.
-Yuma will have 211 doing the demo and probably on static too.

-LA County Airshow will have one of the Edwards jets on static and probably an opening to the show with a supersonic pass (allegedly). Assuming 461 at this point.

-Chino will have the Heritage flight
-Huntington Beach will have the Heritage flight
-Miramar will probably have 211 again on static and demo
-Nellis will probably have a 422 or weapons school on static.

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post11 Mar 2017, 22:30

yeswepromise wrote:-LA County Airshow will have one of the Edwards jets on static and probably an opening to the show with a supersonic pass (allegedly). Assuming 461 at this point.

Do you have dates for the different Socal shows? (Or are they in the Heritage Flight demo announcement?)

Where will the LA County show be held? I ask because it would seem that if you do a supersonic pass anywhere over LA County... you're going to break an awful lot of windows and raise h*ll with the public / neighbors. BUT... if they were to do it... any chance it would be a -B -- STOVL takeoff / supersonic pass / VL?

yeswepromise

Unread post11 Mar 2017, 23:27

Yuma is March 17 and 18
China Lake is March 18 and 19

LA County (Palmdale - Fox field) March 25 and 26

Chino is May 6 and 7
Miramar September 23 and 24
Huntington Beach September 29 and 30 and October 1
Nellis November 11 and 12

As far as the Palmdale show, they pop the barrier all the time up there.
Last Edwards show (2009) they did one to open the show.
From what I heard, it won't be a STOVL. Should be a CTOL from 461

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post11 Mar 2017, 23:57

yeswepromise wrote:-LA County Airshow will have one of the Edwards jets on static and probably an opening to the show with a supersonic pass (allegedly). Assuming 461 at this point.

There aren't going to be any supersonic passes at any airshow anywhere in CONUS. And don't show us pictures of shock collars... :roll:

Where do people come up with this crap?

yeswepromise

Unread post12 Mar 2017, 01:13

quicksilver wrote:

There aren't going to be any supersonic passes at any airshow anywhere in CONUS. And don't show us pictures of shock collars... :roll:

Where do people come up with this crap?

I assure you I don't post nonsense here...I read a lot of it, but I don't contribute to it.

Here is a video of the one at Edwards 2009 that I mentioned a few posts up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1EszDKPJ0
here is a second one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0WnUZaMvZU
And for good measure a third one with better audio (on the commentary at least) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKs34tXzbqs

I was there in '09. By the way, this is probably one of the first times they showed AA-1 to the public. Figured I'd keep this a little F-35 specific. Here is a photo -> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _house.jpg
I'll be at Fox field in a couple weeks too. Maybe they changed their mind. I'm not sure... Last I heard it was still on.
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum