F-35 and Airshows

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

marsavian

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 09:23

I quite like its 'angles' ability, the way it changes direction sharply at any point in flight and carries on quickly in the new direction without delay and without dropping out of the sky. I suspect an F-35 pilot that really masters this in ACM will be a fearsome foe.

marsavian

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 09:31

mixelflick wrote:Whatever it is, it's VERY impressive. The ITR seems to be out of this world. Why is it though, the STR doesn't follow? It's the one metric I think F-15/16C drivers commented it was sub-par in.

The STR catches up with F-16 at medium altitude while maintaining the ITR advantage. Over the whole depth of sky its energy manueverability is very competitive.

southerncross

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 14:53

@marsavian: is that an actual turn diagram for the F-35? What version and altitude, if I may ask?

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 15:50

southerncross wrote:@marsavian: is that an actual turn diagram for the F-35? What version and altitude, if I may ask?

Based on analysis of this and other released plots, this is an A model at 19,000ft with an external load but low fuel.

A model - It's a 9G plot

19,000ft - looking at the KCAS/MACH limit of previously released A-model envelope

External load - Ps=0 line falls to 0 at a lower speed than previously released A-model envelope

low fuel - Minimum speed is lower than previously released A model envelope implying lower weight.
Attachments
F-35 Flight Envelope.png
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

marsavian

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 15:56

Southerncross, it was the calculated target performance of the F-35A at 19-20,000 ft. It's in a document called F-35 Aerodynamic Performance Verification which has the following forward

The combined efforts of the airframe contractor, propulsion contractor, and government program office culminated in verifying the primary conventional performance requirements of the F-35 aircraft. The joint group collaborated to develop a cost-effective and credible modeling and simulation-based approach to validate the engineering databases used to calculate aircraft performance. Instrumental to the group’s success was a rigorous weight management process, supported by an incremental burndown of conservative factors applied to preflight test performance predictions. These approaches ensured that the F-35 met the key
contractual performance requirements. Throughout our efforts, we maintained attention to detail when performing focused analyses of test data, from individual sensor measurements to calculated performance parameters. These efforts allowed a minimal flight test matrix to be sufficient in resolving even minor adjustments to preflight test aerodynamics.

Ultimately, the flight test results proved that the design of the F-35 aircraft exceeded requirements. Further, the results formed the basis of the operational performance capability provided to the operator throughout the flight envelope.

First discussed here ...

viewtopic.php?p=397208#p397208

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 16:25

mixelflick wrote:What is the maneuver at 8:38? Is that the Dojo Drift??

Dojo drift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLoW1ClNE0

southerncross

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 17:11

Thanks Spurts, marsavian :applause:

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post27 Sep 2019, 20:41

gta4 wrote:
mixelflick wrote:What is the maneuver at 8:38? Is that the Dojo Drift??
Dojo drift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJLoW1ClNE0

Type podcast in the search window (where it says "Search this topic...") for the mentioned poddie + others relevant:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24622&p=415944&hilit=podcast#p415944
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

doge

Unread post28 Sep 2019, 22:50

Demo team is practicing at Luke AFB. 8)
Pedal turn video.

From @0:45~, A combination of DOJO drift + climb.

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Sep 2019, 23:55

More Oregon action
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post08 Oct 2019, 16:26

We Visit America’s 911 Force: The 3rd Marine Air Wing at MCAS Miramar. [brain dead to have . at end of title]
08 Oct 2019 Tom Demerly

"...I’m here at MCAS Miramar before their annual airshow, one of the largest military airshows in the U.S. It will feature exhibits and performances from every branch of the U.S. military, but will showcase the trip-wire readiness, chameleon-like adaptably and venomous lethality of the Marine MAGTF and the air power that supports it....

...While the F/A-18s and the new F-35Bs along the flight line are getting most of the attention at this show, it is inside this unassuming olive drab tent that order will be brought to the chaos of battle by the U.S. Marines.... As I fly over the flight line at low altitude here at MCAS Miramar I count approximately 40 F/A-18 Hornets parked on the tarmac, and a handful of the Marine’s new F-35B Lightning IIs that will replace them....

...During our three days at Miramar, every Marine we interacted with exhibited enthusiasm and proficiency in their role. This included members of the first U.S. F-35 Joint Strike Fighter unit to fly in combat, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 211 (VMFA-211), the historic “Wake Island Avengers”. It also included maintainers, infantrymen and numerous support personnel. There is a palpable sense of confidence and competence in the mission of the Marine Corps at MCAS Miramar. It is likely much of that comes from the new dynamic nature of the USMC and its MAGTF concept. This is an exciting time to be a U.S. Marine, and it shows in the attitudes of the Miramar Marines.

When I ask Major General Kevin M. Iiams about the transition from older F/A-18 Hornets to new F-35B Lightning IIs, he tells me, “It is truly a ‘kick in the door’ airplane. I’ll just tell you that there are people out there who are building tremendous air-to-air fighters.” Without specifically saying so, it’s possible the Major General may be loosely referencing China’s newest combat aircraft such as the Chengdu J-20 Mighty Dragon. “We need to be ready for everything that our nation’s enemies might throw at us. So that’s why the Marine Corps has a full gamut of capabilities across a range of military operations, we’ll be ready, everywhere, every time. In the Pacific region, we are ready to be the naval expeditionary force in readiness. To be able to move from island to island rapidly, from multiple platforms. That’s why we have the F-35B.”...

...The MAGTF demo starts with the low whistle of the F-35Bs, “Kicking down the door” in a simulated precision airstrike, exactly as Major General Kevin M. Iiams described to us. A pair of F/A-18Cs from VMFA-232, the “Red Devils”, follows on. Reconnaissance Marines insert via fast rope from one of the UH-1Y Venoms, a massively updated version of the venerable “Huey”, while the AH-1Z Vipers, distant grandsons of the Vietnam-era “Cobra” attack helicopter, provide close range air support. Finally, after an impressive display of Marine capability, the F-35B performs a demonstration of its V/STOL hover capability in front of the crowd line while the armored column passes in review just in front of the crowd barrier. Everyone is standing in now, several hundred thousand airshow spectators, cheering for what is one of the most impressive military displays in history, but only a snapshot of the true capabilities of a new U.S. Marine Corps uniquely evolved for tomorrow’s fight, whatever that may be."

Photo: "The Marines at MCAS Miramar are transitioning from the F/A-18C Hornet to the F-35B Lightning II V/STOL variant of the Joint Strike Fighter." https://i1.wp.com/theaviationist.com/wp ... AIR_60.jpg

Source: https://theaviationist.com/2019/10/08/w ... s-miramar/
Attachments
F-35Bmiramar2019hornetC130J.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post09 Oct 2019, 14:54

jetblast16 wrote:

More Oregon action

That maneuver at around the 6:00 mark... what the hell is that? Almost looked like he departed controlled flight!

I can't wait to see this thing in person, to see if it regains energy as fast as it LOOKS to be doing it here. Pretty damn zippy, especially when he plugs burner in. For an aircraft without thrust vectoring, a very big wing etc. it's astonishingly maneuverable. What a similar demo would look like with new, more powerful motors.... perhaps every bit as good as a Raptor!

playloud

Unread post09 Oct 2019, 15:59

mixelflick wrote:
jetblast16 wrote:

More Oregon action

That maneuver at around the 6:00 mark... what the hell is that? Almost looked like he departed controlled flight!

I can't wait to see this thing in person, to see if it regains energy as fast as it LOOKS to be doing it here. Pretty damn zippy, especially when he plugs burner in. For an aircraft without thrust vectoring, a very big wing etc. it's astonishingly maneuverable. What a similar demo would look like with new, more powerful motors.... perhaps every bit as good as a Raptor!

Looked like a Dojo Drift from the other side.

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Oct 2019, 19:29

“Looked like a Dojo Drift from the other side.”

x2

doge

Unread post10 Oct 2019, 19:18

JASDF F-35 conducting training with the aggressor F-15J.

Attachments
EFyywAXU8AAt0-q.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum