F-35 and Airshows

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post08 Jul 2019, 16:06

Thanks for the replies and heads up, guys.

Yes, after giving a second thought (and after reading the previous posts) I would say that I agree that the F-16 has the best visibility of all fighters.
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

zero-one

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post08 Jul 2019, 17:39

So I think we'll all agree that Viper has the best visibility among all fighters, but what are the runner ups?
F-22 has a strong case for 2nd place,
what about 3rd? J-20 maybe. Su-57, The first jets also had pretty good visibility, the P-80 had a bubble canopy with just one frame.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post08 Jul 2019, 18:05

There's more to visibility than bubbles and frames. 2nd-place is going to be determined by who has the viewing angles that allow them to look the furthest down at any given azimuth or furthest back.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

optimist

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

• Warnings: 1

Unread post08 Jul 2019, 18:34

When they put mirrors on the bow, then I will wonder how good DAS really is. Or redesign the oversize headrest. Until then, it can't be too bad.
Aussie fanboy

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post08 Jul 2019, 19:34

optimist wrote:When they put mirrors on the bow, then I will wonder how good DAS really is. Or redesign the oversize headrest. Until then, it can't be too bad.

A canopy resize is or was in a BLOCK update for the F-35 - is it still in for an update? Dunno. A/C ID in HMDS is pretty neat.
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

doge

Unread post09 Jul 2019, 07:38

Underline is my favorite part. 8)
https://www.skiesmag.com/news/f-35a-lig ... irst-time/
F-35A Lightning II performs at Bagotville
Posted on July 5, 2019 by Robert Williamson
Lockheed Martin’s F-35A Lightning II made a loud entrance at the Bagotville International Air Show, which ran from June 22-23, 2019.

The U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning II Demo Team performed for the first time in Canada at CFB Bagotville, Que., where a crowd of more than 143,000 gathered for the military airshow.

Flown by Capt Andrew Olson – call sign “Dojo” — from 56th Fighter Wing at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, the F-35A Demo Team showcased a wide range of the aircraft’s capabilities in a routine “designed from scratch,” according to the demo pilot.

“Nobody dictated anything to us on how it should look or what it should be, and I just sat down with a couple of other pilots that had been in the airshow business with me over the last couple years, and we put together a show that we thought would perfectly showcase what the F-35 does well,” explained Olson.

The routine was developed in part with Lockheed’s experimental test pilot, Canadian and former RCAF pilot Billie Flynn, who along with Olson believes “this is the most robust demo that’s ever been created.”

Keeping within established safety parameters, the performance showcased the fighter’s full range of capabilities.

In the skies above Bagotville, Olson demonstrated inside and outside loops, along with sequential barrel rolls before getting into more technical manoeuvres. A “falling leaf” exercise saw the jet seemingly drift in place, while a tight Kulbit loop earned applause.

Near the end of the show, Olson pulled the aircraft into a high alpha pass at a 30-degree angle of attack, seemingly at a standstill in mid-air, slowly drifting across the airfield. The pass was made all the more impressive because the F-35 is able to accomplish the manoeuvre without the use of thrust vectoring.

The versatile demonstration seems contrary to reports that the F-35 has been unable to match certain legacy fighter jets in simulated dogfights — reports that Olson said should be taken with a grain of salt.

“First off, I would say if you’re reading news that’s even a month old, you’re probably way out of date on what’s going on with the program. It advances so quickly … it feels like software revisions are coming out every couple of months.

“When people want to talk about how it dogfights against an F-16, I would say first of all … that whole story is way out of date now,” he continued. “That’s not even the right conversation to be having because a fifth generation stealth fighter isn’t getting in a dogfight; anybody that’s out there is dead already and they don’t even know that [the F-35] is there.”

The F-35A’s mere presence at Bagotville — coming at a time when Canada is preparing to procure new fighter aircraft and the jet’s competitors were not present at the airshow — raised questions about whether the Canadian military was attempting to tip the scales in favour of the single-engine jet.

Certain media reports have said that military officials allowed the F-35 to be promoted on the eve of the government’s final RFP release.

In truth, all four of the potential CF-188 Hornet replacements had an equal opportunity to perform at Bagotville.

“For the F-35, it was actually the USAF demo team and not Lockheed that did the show, which is really important,” Bagotville organizers told Skies in an email. “We also sent the invitation to the USN demo team for the F-18 Super Hornet, but they declined the invitation. As for the Gripen and the Typhoon demo teams, they didn’t have any plans of coming [to] North America.”

Despite the controversy surrounding the F-35A flight demonstration at Bagotville, it remains a memorable Canadian aerial debut for a fighter jet that is undoubtedly one of this country’s most-debated aircraft.

This is a video of the Finland Air Show.
It looks like a good climb despite the afterburner non-use, AIM-9X external load. 8)

In [EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019] F-35C seems to coming. 8)
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... nture-2019
Navy F-35C to Attend AirVenture 2019
July 3, 2019 - A Lockheed Martin F-35C Lightning II, the carrier variant of the F-35 operated by the U.S. Navy, is scheduled to attend EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019.

The F-35C, operated by VFA-125 "Rough Raiders," is scheduled to arrive near the end of the Friday air show during AirVenture and will depart on Sunday. Piloted by Lt. J.D. Davis, the F-35C will be traveling to Oshkosh from Naval Air Station Lemoore in California.

"It's awesome to be attending Oshkosh and giving aviation enthusiasts around the world a closer look at the brand-new F-35C," Davis said. "My dad was a former Blue Angels pilot, and I grew up flying general aviation airplanes, but I've never gotten the chance to attend Oshkosh, and I'm 100 percent glad we were able to make this happen."

Another F-35C pilot, Lt. Tyler Shaver, who was an EAA Young Eagle growing up, will be arriving in Oshkosh earlier in the week to chat with AirVenture attendees about the F-35C and naval aviation.

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: 3

Unread post10 Jul 2019, 15:59

3rd generation Soviet jets had horrible visibility (Mig-21, 23, 25 etc). They seem to have corrected this to an extent in the Mig-29 and especially SU-27. The SU-57 certainly looks like visibility is very good.

But they never did seem to equal the F-15, F-22, F-18 or certainly F-16. Personally, I wonder what the Israeli's think about the F-35 in this regard...

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Jul 2019, 22:15

I just stumbled with this youtube video where many of the footage is taken inside the F-35's cockpit.

In terms of cockpit visibility the F-35 does seem to have a much better visibility than it initially looks or that I personally and initially anticipated for, specially in terms of rearward visibility. Resuming, the F-35 cockpit visibility is also very excellent indeed (and this without DAS imagery projection :wink: ).

A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

optimist

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Jul 2019, 05:44

spazsinbad wrote:
optimist wrote:When they put mirrors on the bow, then I will wonder how good DAS really is. Or redesign the oversize headrest. Until then, it can't be too bad.

A canopy resize is or was in a BLOCK update for the F-35 - is it still in for an update? Dunno. A/C ID in HMDS is pretty neat.

I don't know either. There was talk about the headrest being too wide and difficult to physical look behind, with the then helmet hitting the glass. Whether the later helmet or reworking the headrest has resolved this??
Aussie fanboy

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post11 Jul 2019, 06:03

optimist wrote:
spazsinbad wrote:

I don't know either. There was talk about the headrest being too wide and difficult to physical look behind, with the then helmet hitting the glass. Whether the later helmet or reworking the headrest has resolved this??

Heheh - I think the solution when double visor used was given by HANCHE - lean forward slightly then turn head in F-35A.

Now with HMDS III there will be only ONE VISOR (to rool them all) so that likely there is less BULK in the way. SHIRLEY the canopy resize is still in an upgrade somewhere? I'll look for it now. F-16 pilots NEED TO ADJUST - just like the rest of 'em.

This is 'do your block SIX' info from 2008: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_download-id-14514.html (PDF 3.5Mb)
Attachments
F-35canopyExpansionNotionalBLOCKsix2008forum.gif
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

optimist

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Jul 2019, 07:50

I hate forums, when they speculate about the placement of a comma in a sentence, but I'm doing it a bit here. These were in the works for blk 6, before I saw it said about the issue that arose. Canopy may mean the physical canopy. Expansion may mean bigger. It's a bit strange it is under Interoperability, CNI and ISR. A bigger canopy would fit better in the basic section. I'm wondering what else 'canopy expansion' could mean, besides bigger. As it relates to Interoperability, CNI and ISR? Does the word canopy actually mean the physical canopy of the f-35 or is it some group or umbrella term? Is it just Norwegian english, that got lost in the translation?
Aussie fanboy

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post11 Jul 2019, 08:55

Would you believe I believe IIRC that somewhere I did read about the canopy being expanded however a quick google search did not find such a reference. Perhaps it was in another language. The PDF is written in English by LM briefers.

Read second page. PDF was made on 25 April 2008 with InDesign 2 (4.0.5) (info visible via ACROBAT). For interest....

PDF with graphic below may be downloaded in 2Mbs: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_download-id-13106.html
Attachments
CanopyDetCord F-35tri-variantCommon.pdf
(116.14 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
F-35canopiesDesignTriVariantCommon.jpg

doge

Unread post14 Jul 2019, 16:52

The DEMO team is flying at Eielson AFB air show. 8) (Very slow speed and very high alpha!)

UK is flying at the Air Show. 8) (It's a turn rate that does not look like a STOVL fighter!)

It also flew at the Estonian Air Show. 8)
https://estonianworld.com/security/esto ... 5-flypast/
The Estonian Air Force celebrates its 100th anniversary with an F-35 flypast
By Sten Hankewitz / July 13, 2019 / 0 Comments / Security
The Estonian Air Force celebrated its 100th anniversary on 13 July with an air show that featured a flypast by a United States Air Force Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II aircraft.
The Estonian Air Force opened the doors of the Ämari Air Base to everyone on 13 July and put up an air show titled “100 years from the birth of the Estonian Air Force”. In addition to the air show, the air force set up an aviation exhibit.

The Estonian military said that almost 30 different aircraft were present at the show.

The air show featured a US Air Force Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, commonly known as a “stealth fighter”. The F-35 Lightning II is a single-seat, single-engine, all-weather, stealth, fifth-generation, multirole combat aircraft, designed for ground-attack and air-superiority missions. It is built by Lockheed Martin and many subcontractors.
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum