Why is the F-35 replacing the A-10?

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Jun 2018, 06:13

Always wanted to try Jeremiah Weed, damn my allergies, pretty sure that stuff being 100 proof would kill me :D

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Jun 2018, 17:23

steve2267 wrote:Message received...Resupply complete... I've got urrr weeeed... :shock: :devil:

Assuming Gums is on the road and may only be checking the board here as he travels...
Check your email Gums. The "product" will be available for a meet at the "country store" (Starky's) on Friday.

(working on trying to figure out a plan to reseal the bottle, after it is tested that it isn't poison -- Or is sufficiently poison?),
BP

steve2267

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Jun 2018, 17:54

blindpilot wrote:
steve2267 wrote:Message received...Resupply complete... I've got urrr weeeed... :shock: :devil:

Assuming Gums is on the road and may only be checking the board here as he travels...
Check your email Gums. The "product" will be available for a meet at the "country store" (Starky's) on Friday.

(working on trying to figure out a plan to reseal the bottle, after it is tested that it isn't poison -- Or is sufficiently poison?),
BP

It has this nifty thing called a cap on top. Black in color, apparently made out of some sort of phenolic resin, cylindrical in shape, with what appears to be helical ridges on the inside.

Of course, duct ta... errr... 100mph ta... errr... Mach 1 tape could also be used. :devil:
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, add dollop of F-117 & gob of F-22, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well, then bake. Whaddya get? An F-35.

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post04 Jun 2018, 18:29

GASP!

May have created a cult here, LOL.

Will reply on the private email Blind and Steve have.

Packing and laughing.

@geo........ 100 proof isn’t the deal. And what kinda allergy to alcohol exists? The stuff is a liqueur and not a straight or even blended whiskey (pardon me, you Cannucks, as I like your blends, Canadian Mist being tops for light cocktails, then Crown Royal for serious stuff), If all else fails, try YukonJack.

Out!
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Jun 2018, 00:37

Gums wrote:GASP!

@geo........ 100 proof isn’t the deal. And what kinda allergy to alcohol exists? The stuff is a liqueur and not a straight or even blended whiskey (pardon me, you Cannucks, as I like your blends, Canadian Mist being tops for light cocktails, then Crown Royal for serious stuff), If all else fails, try YukonJack.

Out!

I'm alcohol intolerant, gives me massive migraines, flushed skin and raises my body temperature a decent amount, all from ingesting a small amount of alcohol (like 1 beer). I usually end up passing out from the migraines, so i usually don't drink it :D My parents joke I am allergic to fun, Alcohol, something added to most cigarettes, marijuana gives me hives and makes me vomit, haven't tried anything else out of fear of death lol.

beepa

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 06:23

Moved this here from the other A10 thread, still a good candidate for the "Basement Dweller" thread.

http://www.pogo.org/straus/issues/weapo ... Zk.twitter

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -1

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 06:46

Thanks. :mrgreen:
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

krieger22

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 07:07

Well I did try posting it in the basement dweller thread, but moderation doesn't smile on people immediately submitting an article as their first post.

If I really wanted to rig the test against the A-10, I'd ring the targets with Pantsirs in "functions as advertised" mode, but what do I know.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 09:31

beepa wrote:Moved this here from the other A10 thread, still a good candidate for the "Basement Dweller" thread.

http://www.pogo.org/straus/issues/weapo ... Zk.twitter

Lost all respect for POGO......(and I had little to begin with) :roll:

steve2267

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post26 Aug 2018, 18:37

Gums wrote:GASP!

May have created a cult here, LOL.

Will reply on the private email Blind and Steve have.

Packing and laughing.

Out!

Gums is the real deal!

(Well, I knew that from last summer when I was treated to an AFA tour by Gums and Blind. But for an AAR of The Weed... go here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54396)
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, add dollop of F-117 & gob of F-22, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well, then bake. Whaddya get? An F-35.

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Aug 2018, 05:11

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Aug 2018, 06:43

krieger22 wrote:Well I did try posting it in the basement dweller thread, but moderation doesn't smile on people immediately submitting an article as their first post.

If I really wanted to rig the test against the A-10, I'd ring the targets with Pantsirs in "functions as advertised" mode, but what do I know.

Yes, GAU-8 is cool as hell but so were those 16 inch guns in Iowa class battleships. Both would be about as useful in modern day combat. Great when there are no or very light threat systems around, but not very good when there are more serious opposition. Modern working SHORAD (SPAAG or SAM) systems would decimate A-10s without much trouble unless first taken out with serious SEAD/DEAD effort. Why do that when there are way better options available?

element1loop

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Aug 2018, 10:15

Vinyl records sure are cool though! :drool:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xv_6QtbIqqs
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post28 Aug 2018, 15:57

hornetfinn wrote:Yes, GAU-8 is cool as hell but so were those 16 inch guns in Iowa class battleships. Both would be about as useful in modern day combat. Great when there are no or very light threat systems around, but not very good when there are more serious opposition. Modern working SHORAD (SPAAG or SAM) systems would decimate A-10s without much trouble unless first taken out with serious SEAD/DEAD effort. Why do that when there are way better options available?

I would even dare to day that the 16 inch guns in Iowa class battleships would be far more useful today than the GAU-8.
The Iowa class battleships with their 16 inch guns could provide a very mobile howitzer battery with a massive firepower (providing massive fire-missions) and if someone developed GPS or Laser guided shells and even rocket propelled shells for it than they would be even more useful, specially compared to the GAU-8.

But and anyway, your analogy is spot on. The relevance of the A-10 with its GAU-8 gun today is similar as a Battleship (such as the Iowa class) also today.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post28 Aug 2018, 16:04

Laser guided shells

Given the accuracy of GPS and the size of the shell, laser guidance is not needed.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum