F-35B UK SRVL info - Updated when new/old info available

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post21 Jan 2020, 00:18

Salute!

Maybe we can get some intell on the latest rolling landing exercises on the QE boat? Gotta be some Brits here, huh?

Meanwhile, the briefing I had on the Bee landing control law was by the USMC test pilot at Eglin, and he was a Harrier dude. He realized what a full up FBW system could do and "invented" the Bee landing mode - pull back to go up, move throttle forward to speed up and back to detent to stay still( or resume last velocity if I see current mods), etc. The USAF pilots told me that in the sim and using Bee sftwe that landing on the boat was easier than hitting brick number 35 at the approach end of a long runway flying the "A".

I have a Dash-one for the V-22, and the FBW laws for that sucker makes the thing look like a video game.

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post22 Jan 2020, 12:53

Oldie BUT Goodie for 'soft stops' in INCEPTS for VLs so will be applicable to STOVL MODE for SRVLs with 'WIZZARDlyWilson'.

F-35B STOVL Control & VLs Explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JMNWQQfMM8

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

rheonomic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post01 Mar 2020, 05:16

Gums wrote:Meanwhile, the briefing I had on the Bee landing control law was by the USMC test pilot at Eglin, and he was a Harrier dude. He realized what a full up FBW system could do and "invented" the Bee landing mode - pull back to go up, move throttle forward to speed up and back to detent to stay still( or resume last velocity if I see current mods), etc. The USAF pilots told me that in the sim and using Bee sftwe that landing on the boat was easier than hitting brick number 35 at the approach end of a long runway flying the "A".

Had the opportunity to fly one of the simulators at a conference; it's pretty easy to land the B on ship, at least in the sim ;) It's actually a little harder in the sim I think because the active inceptors that add the detents for the throttle aren't there.

Didn't get a change to try and land an A but it's got an approach power compensation mode that should make it easy to stay at approach alpha and on glide slope.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post01 Mar 2020, 05:36

Next time, ask them to show you the ‘command speed’ hotas function on the throttle — it’s much easier to appropriately finesse. It is a rocker switch under your ring finger, is activated by a momentary z-axis depression, and allows speed increments or decrements to the tune of 1-knot precision. You can also press and hold for auto-deceleration to the hover (if so desired). In the pic, it is the switch on the far right (you’re looking at it from the right front).
Attachments
173AB6C3-B882-490F-B551-7682B84CB988.jpeg

rheonomic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post01 Mar 2020, 06:13

Forgot about that, was a couple of years ago and I did use that. The LHI has so much stuff on it I always forget about.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum