F-35B UK SRVL info - Updated when new/old info available

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 21 Jan 2020, 00:18

Salute!

Maybe we can get some intel on the latest rolling landing exercises on the QE boat? Gotta be some Brits here, huh?

Meanwhile, the briefing I had on the Bee landing control law was by the USMC test pilot at Eglin, and he was a Harrier dude. He realized what a full up FBW system could do and "invented" the Bee landing mode - pull back to go up, move throttle forward to speed up and back to detent to stay still( or resume last velocity if I see current mods), etc. The USAF pilots told me that in the sim and using Bee software that landing on the boat was easier than hitting brick number 35 at the approach end of a long runway flying the "A".

I have a Dash-one for the V-22, and the FBW laws for that sucker makes the thing look like a video game.

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 22 Jan 2020, 12:53

Oldie BUT Goodie for 'soft stops' in INCEPTS for VLs so will be applicable to STOVL MODE for SRVLs with 'WIZZARDlyWilson'.

F-35B STOVL Control & VLs Explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JMNWQQfMM8

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 01 Mar 2020, 05:16

Gums wrote:Meanwhile, the briefing I had on the Bee landing control law was by the USMC test pilot at Eglin, and he was a Harrier dude. He realized what a full up FBW system could do and "invented" the Bee landing mode - pull back to go up, move throttle forward to speed up and back to detent to stay still( or resume last velocity if I see current mods), etc. The USAF pilots told me that in the sim and using Bee sftwe that landing on the boat was easier than hitting brick number 35 at the approach end of a long runway flying the "A".

Had the opportunity to fly one of the simulators at a conference; it's pretty easy to land the B on ship, at least in the sim ;) It's actually a little harder in the sim I think because the active inceptors that add the detents for the throttle aren't there.

Didn't get a change to try and land an A but it's got an approach power compensation mode that should make it easy to stay at approach alpha and on glide slope.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 01 Mar 2020, 05:36

Next time, ask them to show you the ‘command speed’ hotas function on the throttle — it’s much easier to appropriately finesse. It is a rocker switch under your ring finger, is activated by a momentary z-axis depression, and allows speed increments or decrements to the tune of 1-knot precision. You can also press and hold for auto-deceleration to the hover (if so desired). In the pic, it is the switch on the far right (you’re looking at it from the right front).

173AB6C3-B882-490F-B551-7682B84CB988.jpeg
173AB6C3-B882-490F-B551-7682B84CB988.jpeg (32.94 KiB) Viewed 52146 times

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 01 Mar 2020, 06:13

Forgot about that, was a couple of years ago and I did use that. The LHI has so much stuff on it I always forget about.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Sep 2021, 04:19

ULTRA for Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landing [2 page PDF attached]

"All weather, day and night capable situation awareness aid for aircraft executing shipborne rolling vertical landing manoeuvres

SRVL Glideslope Monitoring
The Situation Awareness Aid system uses two camera systems to provide the Landing Signal Officer (LSO) with an accurate picture of the approaching aircraft relative to the ideal SRVL approach path. This enables the LSO to communicate the appropriate GO / NO GO decision to the incoming aircraft. The system also supports vertical landing modes.

A Centre Line Camera, positioned at the stern of the ship and aligned to the ship’s flight deck centre line, is used to monitor the azimuth of the F-35B’s approach, while the Offset Camera provides height and range information. Electro optic and/or thermal imagery of the approaching aircraft is presented to the LSO’s display screen, superimposed with stabilised glideslope and centreline references generated by Ultra’s software algorithms. Each camera system has integrated wash/wipe [to wipe away the skid marks]."

Source: https://www.ultra.group/media/2352/sono ... _final.pdf (2.3Mb)
Attachments
sono_ultra-srvl-datasheet_final pp2.pdf
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 273 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Sep 2021, 09:21

The Role of Simulation in Support of F-35B / QEC Aircraft Ship Integration 13-14 Nov 2018, RAeS London, UK
Nov 2018 Dr. Steve Hodge BEng CEng MIET MRAeS MAHS

Source: https://www.aerosociety.com/media/10120/steve-hodge.pdf (3.3Mb) ATTACHED
Attachments
Simulation in Support of F-35B QEC Aircraft Ship Integration Nov 2018 steve-hodge pp21.pdf
(3.27 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
SRVLbaeSystems.gif

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 27 Aug 2022, 21:19

Royal Navy’s Westlant 22 deployment begins
27 Aug 2022 NAVY LOOKOUT

"HMS Prince of Wales sailed from Portsmouth today for the east coast of the United States where she will conduct further F-35 flying trials and experimentation with uncrewed aircraft....

...PWLS will embark a small air group of helicopters and UAV with F-35s to join the ship when off the coast of the US, most likely from the F-35 Integrated Test Force and Air Test and Evaluation Squadron based at Patuxent River, Maryland. Details of the flight trial program are not available right now but are expected to include the much-delayed second phase of Shipborne Vertical Rolling Landing (SRVL) trials that were first attempted on HMS Queen Elizabeth in October 2018. Defining the safe operating limits for SRVL is important to the future operation of the QEC carriers as it allows jets to recover to the ship with unused weapons and fuel loads...."

HMS-Prince-of-Wales-Wetlant22.jpg
HMS Prince of Wales

Source: https://www.navylookout.com/royal-navys ... nt-begins/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Aug 2022, 21:01

Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble 28 Aug 2022: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-pri ... aft-issue/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 28 Aug 2022, 22:53

Didn't the Queen Elizabeth also have a propeller shaft issue during her trials??? Seems like I remember something to that effect....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Aug 2022, 23:28

Corsair1963 wrote:Didn't the Queen Elizabeth also have a propeller shaft issue during her trials??? Seems like I remember something to that effect....

Ships always have various teething troubles whether manmade or misadventure: https://www.google.com/search?q=HMS+Que ... e&ie=UTF-8

by fedaykin » 30 Aug 2022, 15:19

spazsinbad wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Didn't the Queen Elizabeth also have a propeller shaft issue during her trials??? Seems like I remember something to that effect....

Ships always have various teething troubles whether manmade or misadventure: https://www.google.com/search?q=HMS+Que ... e&ie=UTF-8

They do indeed, it appears to be a misadventure in this case. Whilst the RN hasn't confirmed it yet the noise coming from those in the know is one of her propellers hit the bottom as she transited out of Pompie harbour. The harbour is shallow and they have to specially dredge the carrier berth and the lane out of the harbour to allow the QE class to get out without bottoming out. If they did hit the bottom it means she was out of her lane or more silt had built up then expected since the last time it was dredged. When a 33 tonne 7 meter diameter propeller installed on a 120 tonne shaftline connected to two 27,000hp 110 tonne advanced induction motors clips something like the sea bed there is a lot of energy that needs to go ... somewhere!

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 30 Aug 2022, 20:07

PoWportPropOnlyAug2022.jpg
27 Aug 2022 HMS Prince of Wales

"...It may be unrelated but the wake visible in the photo, taken as she sailed [27 Aug 2022], appears to indicate only the port shaft turning..." https://www.navylookout.com/hms-prince- ... ortsmouth/

by noth » 30 Aug 2022, 22:47

Sources onboard HMS Prince of Wales have told the UK Defence Journal that the damaged aircraft carrier will likely head to a drydock in Amsterdam for repairs.
Multiple independent sources have told me that it is believed that the warship’s propellor hit something on the sea bed.

“Either the propellor hit the floor or something on it. Definitely dry docking needed, and Amsterdam is being touted as an easier option than Rosyth.”

Earlier this year, a £30 million contract for dry-dock maintenance for the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers was awarded to Babcock at Rosyth. The contract covers routine and emergency dry-docking periodically throughout the carrier’s lives to undertake maintenance and repair activities.

Amsterdam in this case is closer and easier to get to, but this has yet to be officially confirmed.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-carrier-likely-to-head-to-amsterdam-for-repairs/

Sounds like WESTLANT22 and that conference in New York might have to be pushed back... Again :?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by zhangmdev » 31 Aug 2022, 10:10

The propeller design is curious. Individual blades can be installed/replaced underwater without dry docking.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/Fil ... -58802.pdf

PreviousNext