EMALS & JPALS for the JSF

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post20 Oct 2019, 15:43

outlaw162 wrote:No GPS -> no JPALS, encrypted or not. SF-PALC concept is not so much re-inventing the wheel, but seems to be more in the category of thinking outside the box the wheel comes in. I think they may be thinking in terms of SAT killers....but no worries, we now have the vaunted Space Force. Anyway back to my fallout shelter....ah I can hear "Waltzing Matilda" on the hand cranked turntable now. :D

I think you missed the relative GPS from the ashore installation similar to the CVN broadcast. I'll guess this is not easily disrupted but then 'what do I know'. Shirley whatever box JPALS is in there is a breakout function that will be demoed.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Oct 2019, 16:11

Without the satellites, it doesn't matter what boxes they have on the CVN or the ashore installation....no JPALS.

And yes, it would not be easy to take out (disrupt) the required number of satellites to make the constellation useless, they're way up high in the sky......but evidently someone thinks this is or will be possible in the future. :shock:

Always good to have a Plan B, then C, then D etc. etc.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Oct 2019, 17:04

A new military GPS less jammable constellation is being deployed now. Shirley a relative GPS on a CVF/ashore can be made unjammable because it will be unique? Anyway it seems we can only guess until someone gives more info on it.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Oct 2019, 17:09

I'm not referring to jamming. I'm talking about obliteration.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/wor ... a/asat.htm

edit: I wonder if the Zoomies going into the Space Force will be called "Space Cadets"?
Attachments
space cadet.jpg

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Oct 2019, 21:07

Drastic Stuff but 'pie in the sky'? :devil: Here is what I'm referring to as possibly unjammable for ground use but old now? :?:
"...Although stuck in pre-development, navy JPALS has already achieved several breakthroughs. First, its relative GPS signal technology - linking an F/A-18 and the USS Theodore Roosevelt - completed the first "hands-off" carrier landing three years ago. Last month, ARINC also tested a secure VHF datalink that should permit JPALS transmissions despite jamming attempts.... The system is based on the Shipborne Relative GPS (SRGPS) signal which establishes a fixed point on the carrier as the ground-truth for navigation and broadcasts the co-ordinates and error readings to aircraft with JPALS-equipped receivers...." 2004 https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ck-182368/

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Oct 2019, 23:42

SF-PALC seems to offer a reasonable approach to avoid putting all one's eggs in one basket.

Anyway, I'm off to watch my betamax.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Oct 2019, 00:11

AAaah DIVERSITY. More expensive than making JPALS JAM PROOF (broadcasts from ship/ground anyways) as per long standing development to do such a thing? https://www.sae.org/aeromag/techfocus/0 ... 4-5-25.pdf no longer there. Everyone will benefit from making a better JAM Proof JPALS what is SPREADABLE to other aircraft platforms.
Attachments
LDGPS ARINC Jam Proof JPALS USAF 2004 PRN.pdf
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post22 Oct 2019, 05:45

Small Footprint Precision Approach and Landing Capability Design
17 Oct 2019 USAF wapittywop

"...II. Problem Statement
The USAF requires the ability to rapidly deploy forces in all weather conditions to ensure freedom of movement, commitment to our partners and demonstration of our resolve. Air Traffic Control and Landing System (ATCALS) provides vital mission support to enable USAF forces to deliver responsive and effective global vigilance, global reach and global power. ATCALS must respond to the joint operational need to deploy, employ, sustain, and redeploy aviation assets in multiple geographically separated and environmentally diverse regions at will. There is an unmet need for a SF-PALC for Agile Combat Employment (ACE) without impacting or requiring changes to aircraft avionics while minimizing the airlift capacity required to transport it.

The SF-PALC design must be capable of reliably withstanding world-wide deployable environmental conditions and the unique rigors of repeated world-wide deployment cycles. The major constraints on the design of this system are: 1) there shall be no impact on aircraft instrumentation to include hardware or software and associated design changes and 2) ideally, the system should be capable of being transported in no more than one 463L pallet position on one C-130H. The SF-PALC project is divided into two separate phases: (1) conduct an initial evaluation of design tradeoffs and validate requirements for this system, and (2) the development of a prototype(s) for operational assessment prior to full-rate production...."

Source: https://www.fbo.gov/index?tab=documents ... 87906b1b59 (PDF 0.3Mb)
&
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... 3fd59642ac

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post22 Oct 2019, 14:32

I'm gathering your emphasis above is on the requirement to not affect aircraft avionics or instrumentation.

That's exactly what a 'TLS' type system allows. In the case of actual TLS, any aircraft with a transponder and 'ILS-type' display (same as JPALS display, track and approach slope) can use this system without any modifications....no GPS required. Even aircraft without GPS receivers (are there any these days?) can use this type system. Not saying TLS is implied here, but certainly a system with the same characteristics is. No GPS seems to be the driver. TLS ground facility also comes in a small portable military version.

You know, re your reference to adversary ASAT capabilities as 'Pie in the Sky'......Would that be coconut cream or lemon meringue, or (gasp) mincemeat?

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post22 Oct 2019, 14:51

Sadly the REIM (who should be reamed steamed & dry cleaned) did not seem to know the bits I highlighted so as to give me the impression he is mostly clueless about what he wrote and did not write about the concept. As I mentioned there are too many supposed military aviation writers who are just clueless or cannot be bothered to investigate their topics.

I'll have my pie from the OLDE Harry De Wheels - a pea floater with heaps of tomato sauce - with piping HOT MINCEMEAT.

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/fi ... 4-1961.pdf (10.5Mb)
Attachments
Harry'sCafeDeWheelsCartoonNavyNews04jan1961.gif

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post26 Oct 2019, 01:24

Earlier I was not sure if AAG water twister was removed: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14115&p=396720&hilit=twister#p396720
UPDATED: USS Gerald Ford Starts Sea Trials After More Than a Year of Repairs
25 Oct 2019 Sam LaGrone

"Aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is underway for sea trials after more than a year pier-side during an extended repair period, ship spotters in Norfolk, Va., confirmed to USNI News. According to the spotters, Ford left the pier at the Newport News Shipbuilding yard in Virginia and headed down the James River to the Atlantic Ocean just after 10 a.m. on Friday

A Navy official confirmed to USNI News the carrier had departed the shipyard for sea trials after a five-day fast cruise at the pier, testing major systems ahead of departing the pier....

...The weapons elevators, in particular, have been a challange for for the Navy to integrate into the ship. The AWEs use high-powered permanent magnets that are computer-controlled. The service says the technology is sound and this issues have to do with installation of the systems.

“We’re about 75-percent done with the entire project. We’re talking about in some cases [lining up] 70-ton doors and hatches,” Geurts told USNI News this week. “It’s not a technology issue. It’s a construction completion issue in terms of getting all the doors and hatches where they need to be.” In a statement released following an earlier version of this post, the Navy said it had certified four weapons elevators prior to Ford leaving the pier....

...Quote from "...following is the complete Navy statement [edited] on Ford..."
"...The HII-NNS team also completed construction of four advanced weapon elevators (AWE), upgraded advanced arresting gear (AAG) water twisters

...Sea trials are the culminating event prior CVN 78’s ship returning to Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia. The ship will then enter a postdelivery test and trials period to certify fuel systems, conduct aircraft compatibility testing, certify the flight deck, and test the combat systems installed aboard the ship. As a first-in-class ship, the Navy is actively incorporating lessons learned from CVN 78 to improve the design and construction processes of future ships in the class."

Source: https://news.usni.org/2019/10/25/worlds ... of-repairs
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum