F-35 Approach AOA

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post20 Aug 2017, 19:08

thebigfish wrote:I believe the properties of liquids namely the di-electrcic constant determines how well a return signal is obtained. Kerosene is around the 0.8 mark and water is a least an order of mangitude above that. So water is easy seen but not so sure about kerosene if the radar transitter is not tuned to it. This from my little experience in dealings I have with radar level transmitters in the refining and chemical industry, they are starting to use in greater numbers. Kerosene level can be seen but only becuase the te radar is tuned. (i think)

.....diesel,kerosene,naphta, etc. are commonly monitored for level and density by both non-contact and guided wave radar (GWR).

Crude oil and water interfaces can be both detected on the same GWR probe with mm accuracy. This allows for water draw off in crude settling tanks, after unloading from ships, etc.
:)

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post18 Aug 2018, 23:36

On previous page there's a PC Pilot 2017 story about Prepar3D - the tradition continues. Did not know about 64bit version.

Four page PDF from PC Pilot Sep/Oct 2018 LM Prepar3D - The story so far + FSX in Windows 10 'how to' attached below.
Attachments
PrePar3d Dev & FSX WinX PC Pilot Sep-Oct 2018 No117 pp4.pdf
(635.87 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post23 Nov 2019, 10:27

A new version of Microsoft Flight Simulator is due next year according to attached 7+2 page PDF PC PILOT sepDec 2019.

Meanwhile a FREEWARE F-35A [also in PDF] is available for X-Plane 11 demoed in video below.

F-35 A LIGHTNING II PROMO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVeoH_1cKYw

Attachments
MSflightSim BACK PC Pilot SepDEC 2019 +freeF-35A pp9.pdf
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

usafr

Unread post23 Nov 2019, 16:09

There are also two more F-35 options available for the X-Plane flight simulator. Both by AOA Simulations. Their F-35B and more recently they have added an F-35A. Both are available in the X-Plane.org store. $32 for the "Bee" and $36 for the "Alpha"

I here they (AOA are working on TX/T-7A Red Hawk now too.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post27 Nov 2019, 17:11

That F-35A by AOA Simulations surely looks interesting.
I've seen a video where it seems that Air-to-Air combat is supported (at least tracking and shooting other aircraft) but I've yet to see how the air-to-ground combat (specially the Air-to-Ground targeting) works. Is it supported? And if yes, how does it work?
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

usafr

Unread post28 Nov 2019, 16:22

X-Plane is not the best combat sim. Not even close, but it is . good flight sim and AOA Simulations models have excellent appearance, in flight handling and accurate performance numbers.

A2G is supported on the F-35A model by visually placing the target camera or HMD cues on a spot on the ground, then pressing a GPS designation click spot (center spot on camera or assigned HOTAS button). Released weapon then guides to that spot.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Nov 2019, 17:23

usafr wrote:X-Plane is not the best combat sim. Not even close, but it is . good flight sim and AOA Simulations models have excellent appearance, in flight handling and accurate performance numbers.

Yeah, I get the idea that combat in X-Plane is more of a placeholder than an actual feature.

usafr wrote:A2G is supported on the F-35A model by visually placing the target camera or HMD cues on a spot on the ground, then pressing a GPS designation click spot (center spot on camera or assigned HOTAS button). Released weapon then guides to that spot.

So you're saying that there's indeed a camera in the cockpit which simulates an EO sensor (such as a FLIR) and as such allows the pilot to designate and engage a land target?
(if yes, that's already better than I expected)

I have another question: Does X-Plane have enemies that fire back (like enemy interceptor aircraft and/or SAMs)?

BTW, thanks for your feedback and thanks in advance for further replies.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

usafr

Unread post28 Nov 2019, 18:15

X-Plane allows you to have up to 20 aircraft loaded in the sim at one time; you plus 19 AI controlled aircraft. Those 19 can be either "friendly" (friendlies can not be locked by missile), "neutral" (neutrals, if armed, won't fire at you) or "enemy" who will attack your plane relentlessly, even after you shoot them down, because they almost instantly regenerate in another location ~ 40 nm away.

The AOA Simulations F-35A can be refueled AND re armed in-flight so, with 19 AI "enemies" you can set yourself up in a massive 1v19 fur ball and come out on top! ;-) Not realistic, but fun.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post29 Nov 2019, 13:00

Yes, it looks fun indeed, thanks for the reply usafr.

One last question: Does X-Plane also has/model ground based air-defenses such as SAMs (or AAA) that fires at the player (and/or eventually at enemy AIs)?

usafr

Unread post29 Nov 2019, 15:44

No.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post29 Nov 2019, 15:57

Thanks again for the reply, usafr
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum